An Old School Catholic Message Board

Homesick

DiscerningSoul

DiscerningSoul

It is comforting to learn that there are saints that were also homesick.

Like Saint Bernadette.

Do you know any other saint who was homesick? :idontknow:

The Little Flower was homesick--especially when her beloved father became ill, and she had no other way than prayer to minister to him.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Veritas' post='1055254' date='Sep 1 2006, 02:13 PM']
St. Augustine -big time!
[/quote]

really? but he'd already been away from home for so long by the time he became Catholic!

I think St. Teresa of the Andes was.

I'm sure that the list of saints who were NOT homesick at some point in their lives would be considerably shorter than the list of those that were. Saints are like the rest of us and suffered the same things that we all suffer.

Mary would be a good example. When Mary gave her fiat and went off with her husband I'm sure that she missed her parents.

I wonder if there is a patron saint of homesickness. :idontknow: :)

she_who_is_not

Oh gosh Dad, if I am ever canonized, I want to be the patroness of homesickness. Or overcoming shyness. Either way, I'd be very on top of it.
St. George was homesick.

brandelynmarie

Ok...I found a neat website that lists hundreds of Patron Saint Topics...(one of these days I will learn to create a special link!)

[url="http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/patron00.htm"]http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/patron00.htm[/url]

I can't find one for homesickness...but maybe there is another word for it?

St Padre Pio was VERY homesick when he was assigned to San Giovanni Rotundo as he is from Pietrelcina and loved the land there. He missed his parents incredibly, especially since he was leaving his mother behind when, in his mind, there was no one to take care of her (his father left for NY to work and bring back money so his family could survive and so his son could enter the priesthood). :saint: