An Old School Catholic Message Board

Help Pham

rkwright

I've been actively discerning the seminary, meeting with a spiritual director, increasing my prayer life...

but I'm meeting a lot of resistance from home. I could really use your prayers pham and any encouragement you have.

Mom has been crying over it, even my dad has gotten emtional over it. They keep bringing up how lonely it must be, dying alone and all this... that they really want the best.

It makes me very sad to bring this much 'pain' in the family.

I don't want to give up a religious vocation (if I truly have one) but I don't like all these talks I'm getting. :sign:

+

Their pain is the result of a misunderstanding of the priesthood or religious life. It has NOTHING to do with you and it is NOT your fault --so don't feel bad or guilty about that!

My rosary tonite will be for you and your family. Just keep praying and listen to God FIRST, his opinion is the one that matters and everything else will be made right.

Also, pray especially for the intercession of St. Francis to remain strong in your discernment!

Blessings,
V

You won't be dying alone! You'll have thousands and thousands of parishioners as your family. And you'll still be able to see your real family.

GonnaBeAPriest

Perhaps an experience will assist. My parish had a priest in residence a few years ago. Toward the end of his life, he needed constant care, and the number of parishoners that stepped forward to stay with the priest 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for more than a few months was overwhelming. They all saw this as a way to care for a child of God. A few parishoners even volunteered to have the priest stay at their house, though it was decided that he would stay in the rectory. And upon his death, the number of people who filled the church was tremendous. This was not a priest that was at our parish for a very long time; rather, he came to live when his health would no longer allow him to do the type of missionary work his life had been filled with.

I tell this to help you and your family know that a priest whose life is full of prayer and giving to others has a family of tremendous size and love.

Well my mom has mostly been saddened by this whole process. I have been praying that Mary would show her what is like when Mary recieved the news that her son would be crucified, and to just be open to God's will.

Mom actually emailed me today and really wants me to date more people before I consider seminary. My spiritual director has said that dating is a bad idea during this time. I'm inclined to agree with him.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1072999' date='Sep 23 2006, 05:18 PM']
Well my mom has mostly been saddened by this whole process. I have been praying that Mary would show her what is like when Mary recieved the news that her son would be crucified, and to just be open to God's will.

Mom actually emailed me today and really wants me to date more people before I consider seminary. My spiritual director has said that dating is a bad idea during this time. I'm inclined to agree with him.
[/quote]
I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Same thing is happening with me. I am discerning a vocation to becoming a nun and when I finally told my mum- well she isn't taken it too well. My father I think is basically shell shocked, he hasn't spoken a word to me about it since then. I don't know what he is thinking of feeling. I had been keeping my sis. upto date with the way things were headed. When I told my parents, she couldn't believe me and doesn't understand why I am doing this, she was telling me how my mother was crying. I know it hurts her very much and I am saddened by this. We have days of calm and then my mum brings this up in a question asking me again why I am doing this, maybe hoping that I'll change my mind. I pray often to Our Lady- as a woman who endured the suffering and death of her son, I trust that she will ask for the graces for my mother to also be able to endure in this time.
I am esp. troubled since I get the feeling like I am thumbing my nose at her or the life which she has worked for so long to provide me with- asthough it is bad or deficient. Sometimes I get the sense that she blames this "Catholic God" for taking her child away into another world. I have often heard her express regret at educating me in a catholic school or sometimes talk of just leaving the Catholic Church all together. I don't know how seriously she thinks of this, bu that saddens me most. I don't mind if she doesn't speak to me- I suppose I can endure that, but I don't want her to leave Our Lord in His church.