An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

For those of you who have been wondering if the Nashville Dominicans would ever put up pictures of professions, clothings and entrance....they finally have!
[url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/News/Community_News/index.htm"]Nashville Dominicans[/url]

HeavenlyCalling
:drool: :drool: :drool: Beautiful!!! I always have a special soft spot for the new novies getting the habit for the very first time!!! I have a question for our Dominican friends here, when are the capes worn? I know Carmilites wear them for the Litergy of the Hours, but I dont know about Dominicans :idontknow: :idontknow:
God Bless!!!!!!

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1069258' date='Sep 21 2006, 01:06 PM']
For those of you who have been wondering if the Nashville Dominicans would ever put up pictures of professions, clothings and entrance....they finally have!
[url="http://www.nashvilledominican.org/News/Community_News/index.htm"]Nashville Dominicans[/url]
[/quote]
:clap: :bounce:

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1069323' date='Sep 21 2006, 02:03 PM']
:drool: :drool: :drool: Beautiful!!! I always have a special soft spot for the new novies getting the habit for the very first time!!! I have a question for our Dominican friends here, when are the capes worn? I know Carmilites wear them for the Litergy of the Hours, but I dont know about Dominicans :idontknow: :idontknow:
God Bless!!!!!!
[/quote]
I believe it depends on if they're active sisters or cloistered nuns. And the wearing of the cappas depends on the liturgical season, and the solemnity of an event... but I'm sure Sr Mary Catharine with have a more complete answer for us. ^_^

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='shortnun' post='1069326' date='Sep 21 2006, 03:05 PM']
:clap: :bounce:
I believe it depends on if they're active sisters or cloistered nuns. And the wearing of the cappas depends on the liturgical season, and the solemnity of an event... but I'm sure Sr Mary Catharine with have a more complete answer for us. ^_^
[/quote]

The active sisters call it the mantle which is a reflection of their origins as "third Order". It's also cut differently than the friars and nuns and we call it a cappa.

The friars have the black capuce over their cappa but the actual cappa of the friars and nuns is exactly the same, although I guess theirs is longer! :D:

The use of the cappa depends on the directory of each monastery and province and there is no uniform usage. It is not like the cuculla of the Benedictines and Cistercians who receive theirs at Solemn Profession.

The cappa is worn at least during the Sacred Triduum until it is whipped off at the first strains of the Gloria at the Easter Vigil. It is worn by the sister getting the habit or making profession, the Prioress and novice mistress at Clothing and Profession. It is often worn for the burial of a sister.

It may also be worn all through Lent at the Office, at dinner on Good Friday, and it is nice to wrap up in at night during Night Adoration!

It was often worn from Sept 14th until the Easter Vigil but the real reason for that is/was that churches in Europe were cold!

The friars almost always wear it when preaching.

OK, is that as clear as mud? :huh:

Edited by Sr. Mary Catharine

brandelynmarie

Not only do I enjoy the photos, but I also like to look at the listing of religious names too...Looking for ideas! :idea:

Copngratulations to all ths sisters in Nashville!

Edited by brandelynmarie

:clap:

Thanks for the news flash, Sr. Mary Catherine! I've been waiting FOREVER to see these. Sr. Anna Christi, one of the new solemnly professed, is a young woman from my new parish, and I've been dying to get a glimpse of her in her black veil!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Eia' post='1069927' date='Sep 22 2006, 12:50 AM']
:clap:

Thanks for the news flash, Sr. Mary Catherine! I've been waiting FOREVER to see these. Sr. Anna Christi, one of the new solemnly professed, is a young woman from my new parish, and I've been dying to get a glimpse of her in her black veil!
[/quote]

We were anxious to see pictures of Sr. Rosaria who just made 1st profession as she was considering our monastery at one point in her discernment
BTW, the Sisters don't make Solemn Profession but Simple Perpetual Profession. Only the Friars and Nuns make Solemn Profession. They have a different vow formula.

God bless you!
SMC

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1071173' date='Sep 22 2006, 09:35 AM']
We were anxious to see pictures of Sr. Rosaria who just made 1st profession as she was considering our monastery at one point in her discernment
BTW, the Sisters don't make Solemn Profession but Simple Perpetual Profession. Only the Friars and Nuns make Solemn Profession. They have a different vow formula.

God bless you!
SMC
[/quote]

Yes, I realized the difference when I saw that in the consitutions for the Extern Sisters, they make a Simple Pepetual Profession.

+

I've so been checking the website every day, and then the one day (again!) I don't look... :lol:

Thanks sister. The pictures are beautiful and well worth the wait!