An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Marriage a Calling?

avemaria40

Hey, it's funny, I was just thinking about marriage and I found this thread.

I think my calling is marriage. I was considering religious life awhile ago but I've been thinking and praying and I feel like God wants me to be a wife and a mother someday. That and my best guy friend and I realized how we really felt about each other this summer and we decided to try dating, which got me thinking, maybe God has a plan for us. Though it is difficult (we live 1000 miles away from each other and he isn't Catholic), we believe if God wills it, everything will work out.

One thing I don't like is that when some people talk about vocations, they make it sound like marriage is a second class vocation, like marriage is only a necessary evil to have children without sinning. Someone once told me, "Katie, you're religious, don't have sex, be a nun" and I was very taken aback. In reply, I said, "I think I'm called to RAISE the kids who will be the priests and nuns." Don't get me wrong, priesthood and religious life are beautiful vocations but marriage is also a very beautiful vocation and without it, there would be no one to be priests and nuns. Just because I want to get married and think it's my calling does not make me a bad Catholic in the least sense.

LGLG, I think there was a thread in Open Mic about betrothal ceremonies, but idk. Ask Laudate Dominum, he's probably got tons of info :)

franciscanheart

ave, that is something that has been discussed a LOT in this thread. i definitely agree that the vocation to be a wife and mother or husband and father is a beautiful and truly holy vocation! the family is SO important and truth be told, most people are called to this vocation. in marriage we are called to have and raise saints. parents are called to raise the Church. they are responsible then for the domestic church.

anyway, i think you will find that most everyone here agrees with you about the beauty and holiness of a vocation to the married life.

I absolutely agree Ave... It bugs me when people ask me if I "have a vocation." Like, well yes, of course I have a vocation. We all have a vocation!" And whatever vocation God calls us to is awesome!

I can't tell you how much more respect I have for marriage now then before.... It's so important to be reverent towards the beauty of marriage, and it's wonderful service to the Church, and how God uses the family to reveal truths about himself and his relationship with us.

There's a really cool quote by St. Francis de Sales talking about that... I'll see if I can find it.

franciscanheart

I remember back when this thread began because I was displeased to see people speaking about vocations as if they were only real when you were called to the religious life or preisthood. I'm so glad to have found the support in this way of thinking - the truth of the matter!

I'm happy that my vocation partner started it and I'm glad that it continues to be used, though only occassionally.

I very much respect vocations to married life though I feel I am called to the religious life. I pray that the sactity of marriage is upheld, that families are strong in their faith, and that parents continue to strive to raise saints.

May God bless all those who are married, courting, engaged, or single and looking. May our Mother Mary guide all the women - to be a pure and exceptional bride - and all the men - to value women and to choose one that imitates her. May Saint Joseph guide all men - to treat women respectfully, to stay pure and to choose an exceptional bride - and all women - to value men and to choose one that imitates him.