An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Vs. Catholic Heaven

kamiller42

homeschoolmom

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1093233' date='Oct 16 2006, 04:37 PM']
The Simpsons doesn't mock people of faith as much as others would like you to beleive.

Note Flanders: He's always protrayed as a positive, kind, loving person, who, while he may be a "little hung up on" God, is never a hypocrite, and is never protrayed in a bad light.
[/quote]
Yeah, the always do a good job of keeping Ned consistantly good. I like that. It's interesting though that he's just "generic Christian" -- whatever bent they want to give him. For example, as an Evangelical, Ned would never have a piece of the true Cross necklace or see the faces of saints in the oil spots of the church parking lot. But it's fun to see those kinds of things and say, " :ohno: Ned would never say that..."

Hey I think Flanders is cool, one of my favorite characters but really he is more a liberal neo-evangelical....

They gave him some depth giving him Beatnick parents and having him run a left-handed speciality store.

One thing to warn you all about the media though, even though there is some funny humor, the Simpsons is going to impart the things of this world. Im sure even you folks had to be very unhappy with the pro-gay marriage episode where Homer starts marrying homosexuals. There are a lot of anti-Christian messages even in the Simpsons.

Edited by Budge

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1092841' date='Oct 16 2006, 08:28 AM']
please do a post with the info about Komen foundation
[/quote]
For those who don't know, the Susan G Komen foundation is a large not for profit organization that distributes money in "grants and programs related to breast cancer research, education, screening and treatment." The organization has been giving money to Planned Parenthood, lots of money. You can read about the numerous occasions and how much via a [url="http://www.google.com/search?&q=planned%20parenthood%20susan%20komen&lr=lang_en"]Google search[/url]. The Komen foundation even refers to Planned Parenthood locations as "health centers." :ohno: The effort to legitimize Planned Parenthood continues. Why not give that money to [url="http://www.lifecall.org/shelters_cpc.html"]pro-life pregnancy centers[/url]? They really are concerned about the health of women unlike PP.

Apparently the CEO of Curves fitness franchise, Gary Heavin, has been leading the campaign to inform the public on Susan G Komen's support of PP. [url="http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/curves.asp"]This touches on it[/url].

Back to the thread...

Budge, I actually agree with you. I like the first 6 or 7 seasons completely. It gets more and more spotty after that. Always watch carefully as the writers do have a pro-gay agenda. It's blatant.

The episode that clip came from was hilarious from beginning almost until the end. The end was a little bit of a cop-out.

Glad you agree.

I have to admit one thing that bugs me about the Simpsons is the protrayal of God--breaking second commandment and once, I believe it was on a show where they made fun of Revelation, they had such a blasphemous picture of Jesus, it actually made me flinch. They showed Jesus sitting on a swing looking forlorn and miserable, twirling around, and saying..."Dont make me go back down there Dad, look what they did to me last time!" {paraphrasing}

:blink:

I try to have a sense of humor, but that really really really bugged me. I think they cross a line when they "make fun" of God.

[quote name='Budge' post='1093808' date='Oct 17 2006, 09:20 AM']
Glad you agree.

I have to admit one thing that bugs me about the Simpsons is the protrayal of God--breaking second commandment and once, I believe it was on a show where they made fun of Revelation, they had such a blasphemous picture of Jesus, it actually made me flinch. They showed Jesus sitting on a swing looking forlorn and miserable, twirling around, and saying..."Dont make me go back down there Dad, look what they did to me last time!" {paraphrasing}

:blink:

I try to have a sense of humor, but that really really really bugged me. I think they cross a line when they "make fun" of God.
[/quote]
I disagree with your interpetation of that episode. It didn't make fun of revelation, but it certainly made fun of the people who think they can predict when its coming. I don't understand why you think that particular scene is blasphemous, they don't make fun of God they make a joke about what Jesus went through (btw it was God the Father talking to Homer, and he tells him that his Son hasn't been the same since he went to earth, and He asks Homer what they did to Him)

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1094443' date='Oct 17 2006, 11:00 PM']
Budge, you think it's wrong to portray God the Father?
[/quote]
I think what Budge is trying to say is that it's wrong to portray God the Father in a bad light. She thinks the Simpsons was making a mockery of it.