IcePrincessKRS Posted October 30, 2006 Posted October 30, 2006 Mmm... I think the "evil" of Haloween depends on who is doing what... If I take my kids out they will be dressing up (fairies), but I think we're only going to a retirement home where the old ladies and gents give out great candy and love to see the little kids. At this point I'm not keen on the idea of dragging my toddlers out into the cold for the sake of a bag of candy (I'd rather go to the store and shell out 5 or 10 bucks). I also remember very well one time when I was about 5 and was terrified by my teenaged uncle's friend dressed as Freddy Kruger (my uncle was either a pirate or a crash test dummy, I think, far less scary). Its just not something I think my kids need to endure at this point (or maybe I don't think I need to endure dragging them out lol). So far they are none the wiser... I'll make up my mind tomorrow.
awyers Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 The homily from today mass on EWTN does a great job addressing Halloween. If you get a chance take a listen, its only 10min.
let_go_let_God Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 For me personally, I use Halloween to exercise my talent with costuming and makeup. I don't partake in pagan rituals or any thing messing with the occult. My friends and I usually go out for dinner in costume and then head over to the costume dance to dance and "laugh" at our friends who are a little too intoxicated and wonder which one of us is going to get to hold their hair back. If I ever do anything like go into the campus cemetary on Halloween, I usually go with a bunch of my friends and pray for the sisters and others buried there. That's about how my Halloween goes. God bless- LGLG Or see who can make up the creepiest ghost story about our campus. God bless- LGLG
HeavenlyCalling Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 I love Halloween! I am 15 and almost every year I have convinced myself that I am not to old to go because 'it is so-and so (insert name of multiple siblings here) first Halloween' (my mom has NO concept of spacing, so it has never not been an option : . I go also to help my dad keep my younger brothers in line, and they give out free candy! I do think that people who object to it have pretty solid points thouth.
Ash Wednesday Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 I love Halloween. Nobody should let satanists, occultists and wiccans ruin it for what should be a fun holiday that ushers in a very important time of year where we honor our saints and pray for our dead. I think it's one of those few days of the year where the general public acknowledges the fact that there is a life after this one that we need to be thinking about.
homeschoolmom Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 Even if we think of the afterlife with a knife stuck in our skulls.
Socrates Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 As long as they're not engaging in devil worship or occult activities, there's no problem. I used to love setting up the basement "haunted house" as a kid. As a kid, it's fun to dress up, and to try to scare or be scared - it's all just the fun of make-believe "monsters." Halloween never traumatized me, nor made me want to worship the devil. As a Catholic, it's good to emphasize All Saints Day, and how God and the Saints triumph over the devil and other evil spirits.
phatcatholic Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 peep the anouncement at the top of the board: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?act=announce&f=2&id=10"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?a...p;f=2&id=10[/url]
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 Halloween is a Catholic Holiday.... and i think it is fine if you are not doing anything develish. But i think it is also a good idea to point out the Catholic origins of halloween
Theoketos Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 Innocent and fun = 3 year old in pumpkin costume Dark and sad = Teenagers in gory and ugly (add scandelous) costumes. With the later I have about as much holoween spirit as scrouge does for Christmas.
Goetian Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 (edited) Bad things do happen on Halloween. I can tell you that there are Satanic groups in this area who will be slitting open the stomachs of their daughters and sacrificing the untimely ripped children to Satan. That's no joke, man. It also has little to do with dressing up for candy or praying for the souls of Catholic dead. Or pagan Samhain, which is on the same night, incidentally. Lots of groups think Halloween is important. Doesn't mean you have to agree with them all. Edited October 31, 2006 by Goetian
KizlarAgha Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 [quote name='Goetian' post='1105683' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:52 PM'] Bad things do happen on Halloween. I can tell you that there are Satanic groups in this area who will be slitting open the stomachs of their daughters and sacrificing the untimely ripped children to Satan. That's no joke, man. [/quote] What's a joke is that you actually believe that.
Goetian Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 [quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1105718' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:16 PM'] What's a joke is that you actually believe that. [/quote] I heard it from two different, completely unrelated sources. I didn't believe it at first either. One of them is a good friend, unlikely to lie, who says she's personally talked to one of the women abused in that way.
PVmelonhead91 Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 halloween wasmade by catholics, and everybody dressed up to scare the demons away. so there is nothing wrong with teenagers dressing scary...if you dress like a silly sally there is a problem. and just because peopl make human sacrafices on halloween doesnt make the day bad, they do that probably more then just on halloween. not letting your kids dress up as a witch is more then reasonable. but not letting them dres up at all and go out at all is just ludacris. (i just used a big word ) any ways. its just fun for kids to going to the store adn haveing you shell out 5 bucks isnt as fun. and you still dont get as much candy. its one nite a year that kids get to dress up and get candy for free, have a heart and bring your kids out.heaven forbid you sit out side and get a little cold for an hour or two.
KizlarAgha Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 [quote name='Goetian' post='1105725' date='Oct 30 2006, 10:20 PM'] I heard it from two different, completely unrelated sources. I didn't believe it at first either. One of them is a good friend, unlikely to lie, who says she's personally talked to one of the women abused in that way. [/quote] Satanic Ritual Abuse is a myth which was started in the 1980s. It doesn't really exist.
curtins Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 I love halloween free candy = bliss theres no evil in taking ur kids out trick or treating when they're older and can go out on their own- if u know they're responsible and are going to get candy, not tp peoples houses etc then again everythings fine and dandy
suuran Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 Satanism is...well, from Satan, and if anyone's practicing it, engaging in occulic activities, or otherwise not being a good Catholic boy/girl, that's evil. If someone uses it as an opportunity to exercise an unhealthy fixation on gore and horror, that's also not cool. But trick-or-treating, costumes, and even some fun scares don't need to be connected to that in any way.
Farsight one Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 [quote name='curtins' post='1105740' date='Oct 30 2006, 09:38 PM'] when they're older and can go out on their own- if u know they're responsible and are going to get candy, not tp peoples houses etc then again everythings fine and dandy [/quote]Depends on whose house that they're tping. The wrestling team at my old high school had a tradition to go tp their coach's house every year. And every year, he knew it was them. Harmless joke.
Didacus Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1105439' date='Oct 30 2006, 06:34 PM'] I feel torn on this every stinkin' year. [/quote] So do I homeschool. But the thing is I 'impose' so much on the kids, "Prayer at super, church every sunday, ect..." that when Hallowe'en comes along I give a little back and let them dress up like everyone else. Besides, what Hallowe'en does is nothing compared to what the pagans (atheists) do with Christmas; now THAT is something to cry for.
cmotherofpirl Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 Since I am the director of a Haunted House you know my opinion. However we have no witches seances or devils present.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now