An Old School Catholic Message Board

'i Want Jesus' Teen Dies After Stun Gun Zap

cappie

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1107611' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:44 PM']
Those cops should not longer be cops. They took the life an innocent young man.
[/quote]

From this article, please show where the failed to follow protocal. Otherwise-SHUT UP!

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1107627' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:53 PM']
Other than shouting "I want Jesus" what was the young man doing wrong? And was he handicapped at?
[/quote]

He was creating a disturbance. He appeared to be mentally disturbed. The police were trying to help.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1107627' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:53 PM']
Other than shouting "I want Jesus" what was the young man doing wrong? And was he handicapped at?
[/quote]
He didn't acknowledge them and then became combative. I'm not saying that stunning him was the right way to go, but if you were a cop and someone were being obnoxious, ignoring you, and then getting "combative," I think you'd probably be concerned about keeping the person subdued, too.

I prefer the beanbag guns some riot cops use.

As to the second shot with the tazer, without knowing all the details it's hard to tell, but it probably wasn't a second shot from a second weapon. When a tazer is discharged, 2 barbs attach to the target. A jolt of electrical energy is then cycled through the barbs for a couple of seconds. Then, there is no more electricity. However, if cops pull the trigger again, it discharges another cycle of electricity. Officers are required to report the number of times they discharged the weapon, that is, the number of cycles they sent through the suspect.

Oh and Micah, beanbag guns have killed in the past too. As have rubber bullets. Pepperballs work well, but not on all suspects - like those who are high on PCP for example.

Edited by KizlarAgha

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1107611' date='Nov 1 2006, 02:44 PM']
Those cops should not longer be cops. They took the life an innocent young man.
[/quote]
Would you have felt better had they shot him with a gun?
Tasers are not lethal weapons.
They are used to subdue a person who is a threat.

It was not intentional.
The intention of the police officers in question was to subdue the individual. This man was not on his porch, or in his own kitchen. he was in a hospital.(which is private property) Now...the article doesnt say whether he is in a mental hospital...so we must assume at this point that this took place in an local hospital.
Either way, alot of hospitals have police officers there for reasons of security. I can think of a dozen reasons why off the top of my head but in this case, someone who shows irratic behavior, physically and verbally, and does not heed the warnings of those whose sole purpose is to protect them and others, as well as the hospital's daily, imperative and very necessary operation is subject to be subdued.

It is unfortunate that this young man died. We should, instead, pray for him and his family. As well as the officers involved.

Edited by Quietfire

[quote name='Quietfire' post='1107638' date='Nov 1 2006, 04:00 PM']
Would you have felt better had they shot him with a gun?
Tasers are not lethal weapons.
They are used to subdue a person who is a threat.

It was not intentional.
The intention of the police officers in question was to subdue the individual. This man was not on his porch, or in his own kitchen. he was in a hospital.(which is private property) Now...the article doesnt say whether he is in a mental hospital...so we must assume at this point that this took place in an local hospital.
Either way, alot of hospitals have police officers there for reasons of security. I can think of a dozen reasons why off the top of my head but in this case, someone who shows irratic behavior, physically and verbally, and does not heed the warnings of those whose sole purpose is to protect them and others, as well as the hospital's daily, imperative and very necessary operation is subject to be subdued.

It is unfortunate that this young man died. We should, instead, pray for him and his family. As well as the officers involved.
[/quote]

Actually, the article doesn't state where it happened... It would not be a local hospital most likely since they flew him to a hospital

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1107634' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:57 PM']
Oh and Micah, beanbag guns have killed in the past too. As have rubber bullets. Pepperballs work well, but not on all suspects - like those who are high on PCP for example.
[/quote]
:idontknow: I was trying to be a bit odd (imagine cowboys in the old west shooting beanbags at each other), but nonetheless, I'd imagine they're safer.

:idontknow: Don't know.

Why not.
My local hospital requires that patients be flown to Westchester Medical, which is much better equiped to handle just about anything.

We are catching up though. But I constantly see the choppers flying over.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1107668' date='Nov 1 2006, 04:10 PM']
:idontknow: I was trying to be a bit odd (imagine cowboys in the old west shooting beanbags at each other), but nonetheless, I'd imagine they're safer.

:idontknow: Don't know.
[/quote]

They're not safe really. There's a reason the proper terminology for these weapons is not non-lethal it's "less-lethal." The latter term recognizes their capacity to kill, but also that the primary intention is not to kill. Maybe someday we'll have a weapon for police officers that perfectly subdues a suspect with no detrimental side-effects. But until we get a Star Trek phaser, that's not going to happen.

[quote name='Quietfire' post='1107671' date='Nov 1 2006, 04:11 PM']
Why not.
My local hospital requires that patients be flown to Westchester Medical, which is much better equiped to handle just about anything.

We are catching up though. But I constantly see the choppers flying over.
[/quote]

True. I just meant the article itself only states the location as "Jerseyville". Ignore the rest of my comment :P:

[url="http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=106587"]http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=106587[/url]

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1107628' date='Nov 1 2006, 02:55 PM']
He appeared to be mentally disturbed. The police were trying to help.
[/quote]

They helped a lot.
So they shot a menatlly unstable person. Now, it doen't matter if was a taser of not, you don't shoot a mentally unstable person.

Sounds like one of the mentally ill people from my old neighborhood who often screams into a disconnected telephone on a street corner. But hey, he was mentally ill so I doubt it will be looked at very seriously.