Lil Red Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 (edited) just wondering. Edited November 2, 2006 by Seven77
Lil Red Posted November 2, 2006 Author Posted November 2, 2006 if you are Catholic, you are obligated to go to Mass today
Lil Red Posted November 2, 2006 Author Posted November 2, 2006 well, the ones we observe here in the U.S. all have to do with Mary or Jesus, but the only one that doesn't is All Saints Day.
ardillacid Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 Maybe the trend is people in heaven not just super important people like God and His mom
Era Might Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 The Saints are kinda important to Catholicism.
cappie Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 Can. 1246 §1 The Lord's Day, on which the paschal mystery is celebrated, is by apostolic tradition to be observed in the universal Church as the primary holyday of obligation. [b]In the same way the following holydays are to be observed: the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension of Christ, the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ, the feast of Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, the feast of St Joseph, the feast of the Apostles SS Peter and Paul, and the feast of All Saints.[/b] §2 However, the Episcopal Conference may, with the prior approval of the Apostolic See, suppress certain holydays of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday. Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holydays of obligation, the faithful are obliged to assist at Mass. They are also to abstain from such work or business that would inhibit the worship to be given to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, or the due relaxation of mind and body. Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a catholic rite either on a holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day. In Australia the only days observed are Christmas Day and the Feast of The Assumption as well as all Sundays
Ash Wednesday Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 I went to a tridentine mass for the first time ever today. The priest and altar boys did some really curiously strange (and admittedly, kinda funny) bowing/swaying thing I've never seen before. (It wasn't incensing.) I've never seen anything like it and wonder what it was.
Seven77 Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 I like to think of them as Holy Days of privilege. All Saints is like THE truimph of God's grace won for us on calvary! The Saints imitated Christ to the point that they were Him on earth. Without grace it wouldn't be concievable. Saints are proof of God's existence. Read Cappie's meditation: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=59823"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=59823[/url]
KizlarAgha Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote name='Lil Red' post='1108227' date='Nov 1 2006, 09:07 PM'] if you are Catholic, you are obligated to go to Mass today [/quote] Wow. Atheism really frees up a lot of time!
kateri05 Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 (edited) [quote]Wow. Atheism really frees up a lot of time! [/quote] yea, just think how much there will be AFTER you die..... hmmm.... Edited November 2, 2006 by Lil Red
Fidei Defensor Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1108299' date='Nov 1 2006, 08:01 PM'] Wow. Atheism really frees up a lot of time! [/quote] Silly atheist... trix are for kids?
KizlarAgha Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote]yea, just think how much there will be AFTER you die..... hmmm....[/quote] Yeah. It's a shame I won't be around for it.
ardillacid Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1108299' date='Nov 1 2006, 09:01 PM'] Wow. Atheism really frees up a lot of time! [/quote] Oh no! Not an hour a week! I can't handle that, its RIDICULOUS!!!
KizlarAgha Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote name='notardillacid' post='1108323' date='Nov 1 2006, 10:32 PM'] Oh no! Not an hour a week! I can't handle that, its RIDICULOUS!!! [/quote] : That's like 2 days every year! Yeah yeah, okay maybe not a LOT of time.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1108325' date='Nov 1 2006, 09:37 PM'] : That's like 2 days every year! Yeah yeah, okay maybe not a LOT of time. [/quote] WOW... the National Guard requires more than that! DON'T JOIN! IT'LL EAT UP YOUR PRECIOUS EARTHLY DAYS!
N/A Gone Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 carp..I need a "how-to" for catholic things to do as an only catholic in my family..oyoy
Era Might Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1108340' date='Nov 1 2006, 10:04 PM']carp..I need a "how-to" for catholic things to do as an only catholic in my family..oyoy[/quote] Ah, don't worry, you'll pick it up. I was in the same boat when I came into the Church. I remember when I first started going to Mass, everyone was standing and kneeling, I didn't know how the heck they remember all that. But over the years, you pick up things here and there, and pretty soon it's all a part of you.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now