An Old School Catholic Message Board

Debating Conspiracy Theories

Era Might

How do you think we should handle conspiracy theories? How do you argue that the Jesuits aren't infilitrating the government or the Jews aren't in a plot to take over the world? When I meet someone who really believes this stuff, I'm tempted to just laugh it off, but then they probably think that confirms their conspiracies. Can you argue rationally about this stuff? Is it implicitly giving it legitimacy to argue it like a legitimate opinion?

[quote]How do you think we should handle conspiracy theories[/quote]

Everyone has a right to believe what they wish. One who believe in a consipracy theory isnt any less of an american. I am not a fully established conspirer, but I do stand with 75% of Americans that dont believe all the rubbish that the corporate machine chucks out.

My attitude of this, is that laughing of conspiracies is as just a wrong as subjecting yourselves to the really foolish ones.

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

sounds like a conspiracy to me...So whom here is guilty? Whether we believe it or not, we all contain certain forms of Conspiracies in our lives. It may not nessessarily be directed at the American government, it could be directed at Vern Johnson down the street. Regardless, we are still critical, and have the right to be critical we were made for just that.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1112219' date='Nov 5 2006, 08:14 PM']
How do you think we should handle conspiracy theories? How do you argue that the Jesuits aren't infilitrating the government or the Jews aren't in a plot to take over the world? When I meet someone who really believes this stuff, I'm tempted to just laugh it off, but then they probably think that confirms their conspiracies. Can you argue rationally about this stuff? Is it implicitly giving it legitimacy to argue it like a legitimate opinion?
[/quote]

Since the existence of such conspiracies isn't evident to anyone but your opponents, the burden of proof is on them, not you.

[quote name='MilesChristi' post='1112326' date='Nov 5 2006, 10:06 PM']Since the existence of such conspiracies isn't evident to anyone but your opponents, the burden of proof is on them, not you.[/quote]
I realize that, and you realize that, but conspiracy theorists don't. The nature of a conspiracy theory is that it is based on absurd "evidence". If George Bush's great-great-great grandmother had Jewish blood, then that's proof that he is part of the Judeo-Masonic conspiracy.

You can't argue with that kind of stuff. But then, do you just leave these people to their own devices?

I think maybe these kinds of things can only be driven out with prayer and fasting. :disguise:

Conspiracy is no more foolish that being gullible. I would rather float on "Absurd" evidence than believe everything that everyone says.

And, technically you cant prove that all of those whom are critical of certain entities utilize "absurdity" to reach that goal. Thats a blanket statement, and in turn isnt compatable with all of those whom think with a critcal mind. Instead of just giving in.

Many of the mentors I know have studied for years and they [b]just have questions[/b]. They dont play the blame game. But, truth be told there are very stupid theories out there that is fabricated hap-hazardly and is ridiculous. But, thinking crtically isnt a crime.

true, but then again those who just keep their politcal traps shut, are being just as incappable of thinking critically.

I don'tbother to debate with conspiracy theorists. They generally won't believe a word you say anyway. But check out this book:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-This-Book-Exactly-Things/dp/1883319013"]Nothing In This Book is True...[/url]

It is some of the most interesting reading that covers conspiracy theories I have ever run across. This guy believe this stuff, that's where I drew most of the entertainment value from reading this. A riot.

goldenchild17

Pretty sad. The consensus on this. I would've thought any person no matter what beliefs they held would be important enough to try and help. At least in regards to things that could be harmful spiritually. Guess not...

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1112763' date='Nov 6 2006, 01:20 PM']
Pretty sad. The consensus on this. I would've thought any person no matter what beliefs they held would be important enough to try and help. At least in regards to things that could be harmful spiritually. Guess not...
[/quote]

If I notice a thread of hope for change in their views, I will pursue it. However, that is rarely the case.

I need to work on this maybe?

goldenchild17

What is the point of a crusade going to any message board in the world where one can't know for sure whether or not the people are open to change. What about the great saints who went into the woods of early America to convert the pagan Indians. Did they have some confirmation from the Indians ahead of time that they would be willing to hear what the priests had to say? Doing something only because there is a visible chance for success is not the way to go about something. Yes there certainly is the whole "wipe the dust from your sandals" bit. But Scripture calls us to at least try initially.

What about those people who have expressed wishes to be shown their error if it exists (like me)? But maybe we're just too far gone and lack any useful brain cells for any effort to be worth it.