Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Huge Gains For The Democratic Party?


Recommended Posts

Posted

What I find amusing about the blatant media tizzy about supposed Dem wins this election is…
Seriously, historic trends show that they SHOULD make gains… the party out of power always makes gains on non-Presidential elections.

The idea of huge Dem gains might be a huge exciting prospect tomorrow because they have repeatedly lost at the voting booth the last several elections, including the 2002 election where… they should have won big.
Tragically for the modern Democratic Party, the more they loose the further to the left they slide… and the more shrill they get… and the more they seem to loose touch with reality… and the more un-hinged they become as a party… and then the more they continue to loose elections.

Ash Wednesday
Posted (edited)

Good ol' media spin.... the majority of the MSM is basically pro-Democrat, so of course they are going to predict huge Dem wins. Spin aside, it's certainly possible that Dems will gain ground and it wouldn't surprise me if history is any indicator -- I remember the big Republican Revolution from 1994 when Clinton was around.

Ironically posters on Democratic Underground, Daily Kos, and some of my very liberal friends think the media is actually biased in favor of the right. I mean, sure the MSM isn't exactly "Green party" if that is what they mean -- at least not for now -- but they're solidly Democrat so I take a lot of what's reported and hyped with a grain of salt. Like whatever happened to the "pivotal massive young voter turnout" that was supposed to pave the way towards a Kerry administration?

Speaking of all this, I really miss the Spin Room with Bill Press and Tucker Carlson. It was just funny seeing the Republican being young and cute and the Democrat being an old fluffy air extraction for once.

Edited by Ash Wednesday
Posted

It begins:

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/06/us/politics/06vote.html?ei=5090&en=7ec56a10bb30efdd&ex=1320469200&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1162793450-82t885ACWM/xilv/VwKTzg&pagewanted=print"]Rahm Emmanuel on Republican upswing in the polls: 'This is making me nervous'...[/url]

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/05/AR2006110501075_pf.html"]'I don't know what to make of it'... [/url]

[url="http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=295"]PEW: Republicans Cut Democratic Lead in Campaign's Final Days...[/url]

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-11-05-national-poll_x.htm"]USATODAYGALLUP: Dems' lead shrinking, but still strong... [/url]

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

My opinion is the Democrats WILL regain the office because the Republicans dropped the ball in a huge way. From the war in Iraq to the economy, they failed us. Now keep in mind the Democrats are not doing much better because all I hear them say is what the Republicans are doing wrong, not mentioning a solution and what they would do different.

But I do believe the house will switch sides. Thanks GOP.

Groo the Wanderer
Posted

Here is what I hope happens:

Rs lose a BUTTLOAD of seats in both houses - would server to shake em up and maybe swing them back toward the right, where they belong.

but

Ds do not gain enough seats to take a majority in either house - our unborn are dying at a huge rate as it is


and

all cafeteria Catholics in both houses lose thier seats.....booyah!

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted (edited)

This is just a question so don't bite my head off for asking. But since The Supreme Court is possibly tilted in a Pro-Life favor, is abortion still at major issue this time? My reasoning for this question is no matter what a President, Congress would do when it comes to abortion it would utimately be up to the Supreme Court, because you know whoever doesnt like what the decision is from the White House someone will take it to the Supreme Court.

As for abortion as a whole, [b]besides[/b] what he did with the Supreme Court, what else has Bush really done to halt abortion? Sure he limited funding for stem cell research, but what else? Anything really affective?

We still can't show images of the aftermath of an abortion. We still can't educate those before an abortion.

Again, just a question. I would really like to know some good answers to this. So far I came up with none.

Bush and the GOP forgot about the Economy, forgot about those in New Orleans and aftermath of Katrina, forgot about everything but his 'base' and pleasing them.

According to Bush and his cronies we will be in Iraq for eternity. They want us to believe things are going great in Iraq but I know by second hand experience that there is indeed a civil war right now going on. Things are unstable...wheres OSama? What happened too Osama? Remember Him? Remember the guy who planned 9/11? The GOP has got to go! This war is predicted to cost 2 trillion dollars..and we STILL dont have an exit plan.

ok..done with my rant. sorry.

Edited by CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1112656' date='Nov 6 2006, 11:55 AM']
Here is what I hope happens:

Rs lose a BUTTLOAD of seats in both houses - would server to shake em up and maybe swing them back toward the right, where they belong.

but

Ds do not gain enough seats to take a majority in either house - our unborn are dying at a huge rate as it is
and

all cafeteria Catholics in both houses lose thier seats.....booyah!
[/quote]
man, you don't win by losing --- EVER

I've been (along with others) helping to set my reps right by simply writing letters to them once in a while... and it has helped, esp with our Rep. Pete Hookstra

Posted

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' post='1112682' date='Nov 6 2006, 12:17 PM']
As for abortion as a whole, [b]besides[/b] what he did with the Supreme Court, what else has Bush really done to halt abortion? Sure he limited funding for stem cell research, but what else? Anything really affective?

We still can't show images of the aftermath of an abortion. We still can't educate those before an abortion.

Again, just a question. I would really like to know some good answers to this. So far I came up with none.

Bush and the GOP forgot about the Economy, forgot about those in New Orleans and aftermath of Katrina, forgot about everything but his 'base' and pleasing them.
[/quote]


Wow...
#1 - The Supreme Court and the stem cell issue are pretty huge! Bush has done all we can ask of a President of the USA on the matter of Life.
This isn't an easy quick battle with the evil curse of abortion... it's a struggle - and we are winning the struggle through prayer and voting pro-life.

When the issue is brought before the Supreme Court, it should be overturned as a Supreme Court decision and then the matter would be legally sent to the US Congress, where legislation of law Constitutionally belongs

#2 – Forgot about the economy? No no. Despite what the liberals and the msm blather on about, the economy is kicking butt!

The stock market has hit record highs - and the latest national unemployment numbers show FULL employment… 4.4% is the unemployment figure; meaning on average nationally, everyone who really wants a job has a job.

The GOP forgot the economy? Our economy is the greatest and strongest economy in the world. Our economy is growing and going strong – think about this – despite 9/11, several devastating hurricanes including Katrina, war, skyrocketing gas prices, etc… we are still at full employment!
The U.S. economy is rocking harder than ever.

Don’t believe the mainstream news about the economy, or anything :lol:

kenrockthefirst
Posted

So presumably Jesus is a registered Republican.

I guess He wouldn't have too much to say about endemic corruption, Leave No Millionaire Behind, wars based on lies, that sort of thing.

Hey, we've got a "Christian" president. Wait, he's a liar who caters to the rich at the expense of the poor.

Well, we've got a "Christian" House of Representatives. Wait, several members have been indicted or convicted for corruption, with several others embroiled in scandals involving sexual deviance.

Well, at least we've got a "Christian" Senate. Wait, see comments re rich vs. poor.

Right to life issues are extremely important, of course. But how do you close your eyes to the rest of it?

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

Lounge I love ya bro but have to disagree with you in regards to the economy. Maybe in your area it might be kickin butt, but not alot of states.

You have to keep in mind that when you hear them say 'The number of those on Unemployment is down..blah blah' that they mean, those that are currently recieving Unemployment. They dont count those that have reached their 9 month limit on getting Unemployment and are still unemployed. Two years ago I was one of those, and yes I DID try to find work anywhere and it was slim picking. Think of Michigan and Ohio where some towns have 60% unemployment rate. Because their jobs went overseas. Thanks NAFTA.

I always got a kick when Bush would say 'We've created 50,000 jobs this year' or whatever number you want to put in there..Oh yea..Where are these jobs located? My last guess is overseas because that is where our jobs are going. Thats it..he must of meant he created 50,000 jobs in India not in the USA. The Government never created one job. name it..the job and the place its located. If he means McDonalds hired 10 more people to the crew than ok thats fine..good for McDonalds, but the Government had nothing to do with it.

anyway, yea..The economy is stable sure after all that we have been through. But good? I dunno, I guess if you are employed and making great money doing it then yes economy is great. If you are either not employed or employed making little money then economy stinks.

Posted

[quote name='CatholicAndFanatical' post='1112811' date='Nov 6 2006, 01:09 PM']
Lounge I love ya bro but have to disagree with you in regards to the economy. Maybe in your area it might be kickin butt, but not alot of states.

You have to keep in mind that when you hear them say 'The number of those on Unemployment is down..blah blah' that they mean, those that are currently recieving Unemployment. They dont count those that have reached their 9 month limit on getting Unemployment and are still unemployed. Two years ago I was one of those, and yes I DID try to find work anywhere and it was slim picking. Think of Michigan and Ohio where some towns have 60% unemployment rate. Because their jobs went overseas. Thanks NAFTA.

I always got a kick when Bush would say 'We've created 50,000 jobs this year' or whatever number you want to put in there..Oh yea..Where are these jobs located? My last guess is overseas because that is where our jobs are going. Thats it..he must of meant he created 50,000 jobs in India not in the USA. The Government never created one job. name it..the job and the place its located. If he means McDonalds hired 10 more people to the crew than ok thats fine..good for McDonalds, but the Government had nothing to do with it.

anyway, yea..The economy is stable sure after all that we have been through. But good? I dunno, I guess if you are employed and making great money doing it then yes economy is great. If you are either not employed or employed making little money then economy stinks.
[/quote]
Indiana is definitely a state in which the economy is struggling. That, in combination with what I perceive to be a widespread dissatisfaction with Republican leadership (toll road, DST, etc.) could result in some significant turnover there. I am pretty interested to read the paper online Wednesday morning.

Posted

As for the economy... last month was actually 39,000 if I remember... not 50,000 – in the interest of factual accuracy.

Still - the market rocks, the economy rocks
Look - more war and natural disasters and Katrina and 9/11 and recession and increased gas prices...
And all along we heard so many predictions that the American economy would tank - and it didn't


What kind of economy can absorb all those blows?
The US of A economy under the Bush leadership treated with tax cuts, baby!
Unemployment is 4.4%
Full employment. :cool:
[u]
It’s interesting, for those who were old enough to remember, that when the economy was close to where we are at today in the mid-90’s the mainstream press was praising the Clinton presidency…[/u]

But republican G.W. Bush? The mainstream can’t stop poo-pooing EVERYTHING
Including the election


But they are in for a big rude awakening
Reality is already hitting the liberal media with a dose of real world reality

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

Tax cuts for who? Are you saying you are in the top 1% that actually GOT a tax cut?

So far all I have seen from the Bush administration is 8 billion dollars a month being spent to the War in Iraq, oh but our soldiers STILL dont have the proper equipment to do their job. No exit plan strategy and no more stable there than when we first went in.

All I've seen is one person after another being jailed for corruption in the Republican party and more to come. Not to mention more and more of our soldiers dying everyday for what? Where is Osama??

Bush's Base getting richer by the day.

I dunno.. I dont see too many positives coming from him.

Dont get me wrong, I voted for him..but as of a few years ago I've started to regret it.

Posted

[quote]Tax cuts for who? Are you saying you are in the top 1% that actually GOT a tax cut? [/quote]

The people that put the most dollars into the system should be the first ones to get a break.

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

Yea I know that is what the plan was..so who does that help?

The people the put the most into it dont need a tax break.

How does that help the middle class and below? how does this help the top 95% of the country? It doesnt. The rich get richer and the poor poorer. Should be the other way around.

Again Bush caters to his 'base' not to the average joe

Posted

If the democrats take over, democracy will go down the drain and america will be a Commumerica. The democratic party loves communism.

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

sorry Just but I dont see democracy going to well right now. I see our Country going down the tubes if we continue the way we are going right now.

I see 1/3 of our soldiers in Iraq being National guard and reseverves. These are the people who are acocuntants, lawyers, factory workers and such. All being sent to Iraq for 2 years then coming back to no job waiting for them..then what? You think Bush and the GOP helps them out with bills and such while they are in Iraq? Nope, in fact the Military just cut costs and are not paying for near as much as they use too, putting more of a burden on the citizen that is giving their life to the Government.

Do I think the Democrats will do a better job? I don't know. I fear they will drop the ball like the Republicans did.

I honestly dont think Abortion will get worse, but rather better. So we shouldnt use that as a reason to go straight republican ticket. The Supreme Court is in place to over turn it..let it take its course.

The Republicans are hurting america. With corruption, war and money to the rich. The middle class is getting desolate and soon it will be just lower and Upper class that exists.

Our jobs are going overseas at a record rate. Who is going to stop it? Not sure the Repubs will because they are the ones that set it in place and offer tax cuts to those that do. Not sure the Dems will either...but someone has too. Towns are being devistated from it.

Posted

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1112975' date='Nov 6 2006, 05:09 PM']
If the democrats take over, democracy will go down the drain and america will be a Commumerica. The democratic party loves communism.
[/quote]

And they'll get us all killed
:pinch: And we are not kidding... they will get us all killed

CatholicAndFanatical
Posted

And Bush isnt?

You think we are actually SAFER now??

Come on, tell me you dont honestly think this..

I'll tell you something that Fox News won't...we are in more danger now than before the War. How long have illegals been coming into this country? How easy has it been? Since the war has it got any better?

You think Osama planned 9/11 in a week? It took years to do that. Just because we havent been attacked on our own soil doesnt mean we are safe. We have done nothing to protect ourselves here at home.

So in essence, Bush can possibly get us all killed if it stays the way it is now. We need a change.

Posted

""No nation ever had an army large enough to guarantee it against attack in time of peace or insure it victory in time of war. ""
President Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)

“The world is controlled by those who show up early”
--Quoted by Senator George Allen on Sean Hannity, November 6, 2006

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...