An Old School Catholic Message Board

"excusing" As A Synonym For "defending"

Winchester

[quote]QUOTE(Winchester @ Nov 8 2006, 04:47 PM)

I'd like you to quote me excusing an evil of the Inquisitions, along with the link. In my memory, I've excused nothing and have not intended to. Of the times that I've asked for this quote, you've not been able to deliver.[/quote]

Somehow, this has been boiled down to requesting a quote of me defending the Inquisitions. Now, I don't have a degree in English, but I'm thinking, I don't know...WTH?

Okay, since I won't be getting my answer now that the comic relief has relieved herself.

I never intentionally excused an evil of the inquisitions (to my recollection) in their various forms. I was perfectly ready to eat some crow; expecting, in fact, along with all the accusations of backpedaling to go on after I either explained or recanted.

The very idea of the inquisition is not deplorable to me. Torture is another matter. I understand the thinking behind the torture, but I don't see it as acceptable, even under the strictures it was held during the inquistions (when it was allowed.)

I merely wish, as I always wish, for the truth to be exposed. Prefereably unadorned with commentary, smilies in their various incarnations, or ! !!!.

Anyway, I win but I also lose. We all won and lost. Too bad.

Henry Kaman, a Jew and an historian whose field of expertise is the Inquisition, says "The Catholic Church has nothing to apologize for." History Channel video, [i]"The Inquisition."[/i]

He, of course, like any good historian, evaluates the Inquisition in its historical milieu.

Here is the last sentence of his 1997 book, [i]The Spanish Inquisition, A Historical Revision[/i]: "Even today in the twentieth century other nations have had and continue to have their Inquisitions: the human condition is subject to frailties that are not limited to any one people or faith and that regularly reverse the gains made in previous generations by 'civilizations' and 'progress.' "

==========================
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!