An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wal-mart Employees Say 'merry Christmas'

cappie

Following last year’s Wal-Mart controversy regarding religious issues over Christmas, the corporation announced to its employees Thursday that it is OK to once again greet shoppers by saying "Merry Christmas" instead of the generic "Happy Holidays".

Controversy was sparked last year when a woman complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing its "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays".

The woman received an e-mail response from a customer service representative, reading that ‘Wal-Mart is a worldwide organisation and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than 'Christmas'."

The American Family Association and The Catholic League boycotted retailers including Wal-Mart for excluding the word "Christmas" from products sold in stores.

"We, quite frankly, have learned a lesson from last year," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Linda Blakley told USA Today in a separate report. "We're not afraid to use the term 'Merry Christmas'. We'll use it early, and we'll use it often."

Besides resurrecting its Christmas pitch, the retailer is also determined to be the leader in this year's holiday price wars.

The November-December holiday shopping period is a critical time for traders since it can account for as much as 50 per cent of their total annual profits and sales.

To support its Christmas deals, the report said Wal-Mart will launch TV ads next week that trumpet "Christmas". The chain is also changing the name of its seasonal decorations department from "The Holiday Shop" to "The Christmas Shop".

Well it's a small improvement. At least the people who are greeting them with "Merry Christmas" might be moved towards Christ a little.

But I still won't be shopping there.

[size=1]I think they are doing this BECAUSE of their Gay Lesibian support now.
Since they announced it, I am sure alot of christians or anyone really who do not support the Gay Lesbian movement or whatever, alot of people have stoped shopping there.
And from what I know, they were never doing well anyways. And announcing the Gay Les thing stop even MORE people from going to their store.

I am sure Target is VERY happy with this because more people will go shopping there than Walmart.

Now with hopes to get those Christians back, they decided "HEY! We are saying MERRY CHIRSTMAS AGAIN! See? We are kind people! Come shop at our store! We are gonna go bankrupt if you dont!"

I dunno, I could be COMPETELY wrong, but I think they are just doing that to get more people to shop at their store.
[/size]

Well I work at Wal-Mart

Funny thing is, the situation was resolved last Holliday season before Christmas 2005.
Oh well

Merry Christmas! :cool:

What's interesting is, some other stores are following Wal-Mart. Target had the words "Merry Christmas" at the end of one of their commercials.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1117636' date='Nov 11 2006, 03:43 PM']
What's interesting is, some other stores are following Wal-Mart. Target had the words "Merry Christmas" at the end of one of their commercials.
[/quote]

I know, I saw that commercial on tv the other day... and I almost fell out of my chair... I was like "WHAT?! THEY'RE NOT BEING P.C.?! IS THIS POSSIBLE?!"

I don't know if you guys know the Christian comedian Brad Stine, but I saw him in October, and he did the funniest piece on happy holidays/merry Christmas. It went something like:

"What if everyone who celebrated Christmas boycotted Wal-Mart for a year for not keeping Christ in Christmas, and making it "happy holidays"? The next year, they'd have christmas trees lining the aisles and a live nativity scene in the store entrances! camels walking around everywhere pooping all over the store, frankinscence and myrh on every shelf!!"
He went into more detail than that, and was way more funny than I made it sound, but look up Brad Stine... he's a comedian who's funny without swearing or taking about inappropriate things

[quote name='Quietfire' post='1117635' date='Nov 11 2006, 02:42 PM']
CrossCuT,
why do I always have to squint when I read your posts.
Oh, cause the print is [size=7]so[/size]
[size=1]tiny[/size]
[/quote]

[size=1] :rolleyes:
[/size]

[quote name='RC_' post='1117726' date='Nov 11 2006, 06:09 PM']
You cannot have two masters. Wal-Mart serves the mammon.
[/quote]
Wal-Mart is not a person, Wal-Mart is an entity. So it most certainly can have two masters. It can have a master for every employee there.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1117595' date='Nov 11 2006, 01:33 PM']
Well I work at Wal-Mart

Funny thing is, the situation was resolved last Holliday season before Christmas 2005.
Oh well

Merry Christmas! :cool:
[/quote]
[size=1]Yea well that doesnt make Walmart any cooler.

Walmart + Gay Lesibian support = not cool.
[/size]

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1117553' date='Nov 11 2006, 01:04 PM']

I am sure Target is VERY happy with this because more people will go shopping there than Walmart.

[/quote]

Psh, I shop at Target more anyways

Edited by SinginForHim