An Old School Catholic Message Board

What would YOU say?

franciscanheart

this one's always my favorite:

person: wait, you want to be a nun? you know you'll never have sex, right!?
me: WHAT!? i won't!? :shock:

this was an actual conversation with me and someone last year. this person was a Catholic, but... clearly didn't understand.

person: so you want to be a nun?
me: yeah! i'm feeling called.
person: but... you'd never get married.
me: yes i would!
person: what? to whom?
me: a sister takes Jesus as her spouse!!
person: so you'd marry Jesus?
me: yeah, essentially!
person: man, i'd need something better than that.
me: :shock: ............................................... it can't GET better than Him.

cathoholic_anonymous

Most of the reactions I've had have been either disappointed or confused. The latest remark came last summer:

UNIVERSITY CLASSMATE: It seems strange to put so much time and effort into your studying if you're just going to throw away all your freedom at the end of it.

I don't talk about my vocation much now, unless I'm with Catholics. I have a close friend (atheist) who desperately wants to understand why I want this, but she can't get away from the idea that being a nun is a career choice. For obvious reasons, the thought that nuns are called to be who they are is beyond her understanding.

franciscanheart

It's always bothered me that we ugly girls are the ones who stand out like those who would be nuns/sisters. :ohno:

One of the most. ..obnoxious things that was ever said to me (other than the obvious, 'you're not going to have sex' phrases when I was discerning), after I returned from the monastery, was 'Well, that's ok that you're back, you're too pretty to be a nun.' I burst into tears and walked away.

I just can't fathom people's . . ..lack of . . .something.
:ohno:

Edited by HisChild

cathoholic_anonymous

People seem to have a fixation with sex. Two of my non-Catholic friends (an atheist and an Anglican) have tried to psychoanalyse me in the past. Their diagnosis? "You just want to be a nun because you're afraid of sex."

:wacko:

So I got another strange comment today. Someone asked me if I was going to have a hysterectomy when I entered the convent because there was no point in me going through monthly pain if I wasn't going to take advantage of the benefits.

:blink:

Guest Sister Jacqulyn

[quote name='TrueImage' post='1122602' date='Nov 17 2006, 05:52 PM']
So I got another strange comment today. Someone asked me if I was going to have a hysterectomy when I entered the convent because there was no point in me going through monthly pain if I wasn't going to take advantage of the benefits.

:blink:
[/quote]

Oh my gosh!! :lol_roll: I'm sorry...I laughed right outloud when I read that!! Haha!! (and yes, the Sisters around me in our work room looked at me funny when I laughed out loud!!!) :saint:

[quote name='HisChild' post='1121405' date='Nov 15 2006, 11:38 PM']
One of the most. ..obnoxious things that was ever said to me (other than the obvious, 'you're not going to have sex' phrases when I was discerning), after I returned from the monastery, was 'Well, that's ok that you're back, you're too pretty to be a nun.' I burst into tears and walked away.

I just can't fathom people's . . ..lack of . . .something.
:ohno:
[/quote]

I understand what you mean.

I have been told that you are good looking so why would you enter the convent?

My response: So what you are saying is that only "ugly" women should enter the convent. Yes, God does this them prevent from having children, right?!!

What are seeing these days is that everything revolves around the carnal. To be chaste isn't even on the page for most people. This to me is the REAL tragedy.

We have lost our sense of dignity of being God's children, that is His beloved creation. :ohno:

Edited by passionheart

AlterDominicus

We have to gain that dignity back. Thats the d working to try and degrade us, even though Good isnt always reward here on earth there is much more everlasting heavenly eternal reward and that is heaven, God wants us to be with Him.

Edited by AlterDominicus

It is amazing what friends say when I tell them of my discernment. That I am running away from the world ,I lack ambition, and of course the "sex thing" is always mentioned. I have never been told that I am too pretty to be a nun, but if I eventually enter ,I will be quite happy to be the first ugly one.!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='passionheart' post='1122771' date='Nov 17 2006, 07:18 PM']
I understand what you mean.

I have been told that you are good looking so why would you enter the convent?

My response: So what you are saying is that only "ugly" women should enter the convent. Yes, God does this them prevent from having children, right?!!

What are seeing these days is that everything revolves around the carnal. To be chaste isn't even on the page for most people. This to me is the REAL tragedy.

We have lost our sense of dignity of being God's children, that is His beloved creation. :ohno:
[/quote]

The first time I said that I might be thinking about a vocation, the Newman Chaplain who was leading the discussion group laughed and said that "God obviously made you to make some man happy," and everyone in the group laughed. It was a long time before I told anyone else.

Why does appearance matter so much in our culture? I feel that the religious habit is a great witness to our shallow culture.