An Old School Catholic Message Board

"sarcasm Does Not Translate Online."

Winchester

I've heard this before. Been advised to "put smilies" to aid people in realizing "Hey, he's being sarcastic."

Bull feces.

There is no magic to paper that enables people to realize the writing is ironic, sarcastic, humorous, etcetera. You either get it or you don't. Perhaps there's some magic on the internet that makes people humorless morons, but I don't think so.

It has nothing to do with the internet. They are full-time morons, on or off line.

Are we going to put smilies on "A Modest Proposal," or the Hitchhiker's Trilogy volumes I thru VII? Must we add a surrealism warning to Dali paintings?

I think people have bought into the egalitarian idea to such a degree that many think "I'm just as smart as anyone else." Not true. Sorry, folks, some people don't get humor or miss large parts of it. Some people are humorless garden gnomes. It happens. That's life.

[size=1]Some people get it, some people dont. Thats life.
Isnt going to stop me from being sarcastic! :)

It translates to the people who get it, and not to the people who dont.
What do you do?
If we are so worried about translating the correct feeling, why talk on the internet at all??
The nonverbal communication that conveys most of what we are trying to say anyways is almost nonexistent in our conversations online other than what the cheap little smilies can show.
[/size]

Edited by CrossCuT

[quote name='Winchester' post='1118977' date='Nov 13 2006, 03:45 PM']
I've heard this before. Been advised to "put smilies" to aid people in realizing "Hey, he's being sarcastic."

Bull feces.

There is no magic to paper that enables people to realize the writing is ironic, sarcastic, humorous, etcetera. You either get it or you don't. Perhaps there's some magic on the internet that makes people humorless morons, but I don't think so.

It has nothing to do with the internet. They are full-time morons, on or off line.

Are we going to put smilies on "A Modest Proposal," or the Hitchhiker's Trilogy volumes I thru VII? Must we add a surrealism warning to Dali paintings?

I think people have bought into the egalitarian idea to such a degree that many think "I'm just as smart as anyone else." Not true. Sorry, folks, some people don't get humor or miss large parts of it. Some people are humorless garden gnomes. It happens. That's life.
[/quote]

I agree in full. Some people don't even get sarcasm when you are talking to them in person.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Winchester' post='1118977' date='Nov 13 2006, 03:45 PM']

Bull feces.

[/quote]
Why Winch! I assume you are serious %100 of the time.

So the question I have is do we pray for the people that do not get sarcasm? Or do we bask in our own smugness and sarcasm furthur alienating those around us?

Personally I am all for the alienating..... :mellow: