An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jehovah Witnesses

Akalyte

So im reading some of their material i got from the laundry mat. They dont specifically say "catholic" But I can tell they have an obsession with attack Catholicism. i want some tactics to counter these peoples attacks. I see them everywhere here.

[size=1]I dont have any counter attacks, but I know some people who ARE Jehovah Witnesses (my aunt and uncle) and they are really nice people!
I like them MORE than all my catholic relatives! (I guess you cant say they are catholic, they are catholic in NAME)

But yea, but I feel bad for my little cousins.
They never get to celebrate birthdays or Christmas or any other normal holidays!
They are so sweet too! :weep:
[/size]

[quote name='Winchester' post='1122134' date='Nov 16 2006, 11:35 PM']
The people in the religion are not the religion itself.
[/quote]

True. I've known fairly liberal JW's. If you asked them what their religion was they'd say "Jehovah's Witness," but you wouldn't know it otherwise.

They're probably the only kind of Christians that I would [i]encourage[/i] to be liberal. Real, gung-ho JW's are some kind of monster.

[quote name='Nathan' post='1122248' date='Nov 17 2006, 02:50 PM']
True. I've known fairly liberal JW's. If you asked them what their religion was they'd say "Jehovah's Witness," but you wouldn't know it otherwise.

They're probably [u]the only kind of Christians[/u] that I would [i]encourage[/i] to be liberal. Real, gung-ho JW's are some kind of monster.
[/quote]

One small point. JW's are not Christians. No Trinitarian baptism, no belief in the divinity of Christ or the Holy Spirit.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Winchester' post='1122508' date='Nov 17 2006, 04:15 PM']
True. For that matter, can we consider Mormons Christians?

Do JWs identify themselves as Christians?
[/quote]
Mormons, JWs and Unitarians are not Christians.

Cardinal Sean defined it this way on his blog:
My definition of “Christian” is someone that believes in the Trinity and that follows Jesus Christ as Son of Man, Son of God, that believes that there is one God in three Persons and the second Person, the Blessed Trinity, is our redeemer and the Messiah, Jesus Christ, who is God and Man. That’s what makes us Christian. If you don’t believe that Jesus is God and Man, then you are really not a Christian. But, that is certainly in the Creed that we pray at Mass every Sunday, and that was written by Catholic Bishops and a Catholic Pope, at the Council of Nicea.

But the question is: How do they identify themselves. It truly matters in dealing with them.

For instance, I think I am sane, terribly urbane, and also humble and handsome. If you contradict any of those things, you will lose my ear.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Winchester' post='1122697' date='Nov 17 2006, 08:26 PM']
But the question is: How do they identify themselves. It truly matters in dealing with them.

For instance, I think I am sane, terribly urbane, and also humble and handsome. If you contradict any of those things, you will lose my ear.
[/quote]
Yes, they see themselves as Christians...not only that, but as the ideal Christians living in harmony like the Early Church...which is, of course, a load of carp.

I found a tract "the end of false religion is near". and what do I see? i picture of a Catholic Priest. I cant wait to bump into them on monday.