dUSt Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 Okay. so my mom is buying a hotel/b&b/restaurant in Dolores, CO. I flew there this weekend to check it out and took a lot of pics: [url="http://picasaweb.google.com/phatmass/DoloresSouthernHotel"]http://picasaweb.google.com/phatmass/DoloresSouthernHotel[/url] She's getting a really good deal on it, basically paying the same price for it as what a 3 bedroom 2 bath house would go for in the same town. As you can see from the pics, it needs a lot of work. It's on the National Register of Historical Places. The good news is that all of the electrical and plumbing was completely updated in the 90's. The main work would be mostly cosmetic. New windows and roof would be a good idea too. Here's my dilemna... Should I quit my stable 40hr week job w/ insurance and benefits, sell my house in TX, move the family to Colorado and live basically in paradise, running the hotel with my mom? My wife would need some talking into, but I am [b]seriously[/b] considering this. I think I have enough marketing experience to really make this succesful, and living in beautiful SW Colorado would be like heaven for me (the wife and kids would grow to love it too, haha). What say you fam? Am I completely crazy?
prose Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 No, you are not crazy. I would love if Chad did something like that.
dUSt Posted November 20, 2006 Author Posted November 20, 2006 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1124346' date='Nov 20 2006, 01:23 PM'] How much does your wife like snow?? [/quote] Not much. She's against the idea, but lately I caught her on the internet looking at real estate and teaching jobs in the area....
Lil Red Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 [url="http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-normals.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&zipcode=81323&metric=0"]Typical Weather in a Year in Dolores, CO[/url] [url="http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCO0109?from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared"]Monthly Averages for weather[/url]
CatholicCid Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 If you can get insurance and benefits and afford it for your family, why not.
Sojourner Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 I think weather should not be a reason that you don't do it. Cold weather smells of elderberries, yes, but if it's where you're supposed to be, then you can deal with it. God always gives grace to deal with the difficulties that come from doing what he calls you to do. So if it's what God is calling you to do, then you should do it. I think it sounds like a great opportunity ... but I'd definitely put a lot of time in prayer into it.
prose Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 Cold weather isn't [i]that[/i] bad. It is pretty in the winter.
missionarybelle Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 Your kids would probably love seeing their grandma so much... I like the idea. Of course, I'm always one for change... There's a quote that goes "If you love what you do, you never work a day in your life."
Groo the Wanderer Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 My wife and I looked into running a B&B once. Takes a LOT more work than one would think initially. We ended up deciding against it. If you are to be involved in running it at all, I would seriously advise contacting some local B&Bers about it and talking with them first about what is involved. Some of the rules we were told about: 1. In a B&B, time is a very precious thing. Do not just wander in and expect to talk to them 2. ALWAYS profusely thank them for any time they can spend talking with you, even if it is just a few minutes. 3. The best way to get time is to call first (never during breakfast, lunch or dinner, though), then ask if you can volunteer your time with them to help out with the daily chores while you explore how a B&B runs. Explain that you are thinking of getting into the business and would appreciate some time learning from an expert. They can't afford to pay you, but will greatly appreciate the exrta pair of hands. :-)
catholicinsd Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 An historical hotel like that may be haunted...
Balthazor Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 Haunted?!! You are kiddding me right? What nonsense.... Anyway, I would go there check it out first and then decide. It might be worthwhile but look before you leap. Health insurance cost an arm a leg and in maybe a few molers. Trust me from a self employed farmer's daughter. However the benefits of this would be nice, you could be home and your kids would have a lot more access to you, and if they help out you grow in togetherness, you end up with a working relationship that not lot of people have with thier kids. Get the info first especially the insurence, and other stuff like this. Then come back and ask again.
Mary-Kathryn Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 Would you live at the B&B with mom and guests? Are you a real people person? Does the B&B have a special group of people it's targeting? Even being a mom, I still have that bit of adventure. You never know until you try!
Katholikos Posted November 20, 2006 Posted November 20, 2006 ¡Cuidado! (Be careful!) "Dolores" is Spanish for "sorrows." Hey, dUSt, take Cardinal Arinze's book on the Eucharist off your wish list. I just ordered it for you. It's coming to my house, 'cause I bought three of 'em. Is Arlington, TX enough of an address? Jay
dUSt Posted November 21, 2006 Author Posted November 21, 2006 [quote name='Katholikos' post='1124525' date='Nov 20 2006, 04:31 PM'] ¡Cuidado! (Be careful!) "Dolores" is Spanish for "sorrows." Jay [/quote] Right. The town was named by two Catholic priests who named it after the "Our Lady of Sorrows" river that runs through it.
rollingcatholic Posted November 21, 2006 Posted November 21, 2006 If your wife can get a teaching job there, by all means do it!
jmjtina Posted November 21, 2006 Posted November 21, 2006 I'll be praying for you. Your not crazy, besides, it just may be the meeting place of Phatmass 2008!!!
Tindomiel Posted November 21, 2006 Posted November 21, 2006 You might be like this: in Colorado, but you can make these:
Socrates Posted November 21, 2006 Posted November 21, 2006 Go for it, as long as you're able to continue Phatmass!
IcePrincessKRS Posted November 21, 2006 Posted November 21, 2006 [quote name='dUSt' post='1124348' date='Nov 20 2006, 02:25 PM'] Not much. She's against the idea, but lately I caught her on the internet looking at real estate and teaching jobs in the area.... [/quote] If your wife can get a job, and you guys can afford the move... why not go for it? Like everyone else said, pray about it. Big changes like that always require lots of prayer, but alot of the time forging ahead and taking the risk ends up being the right choice.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now