An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Are New Communities Started?

GodChild

I'm just interested in how new communities are started in the Church? What is the process? Can anyone start a community / congregation?

I suppose i'm curious cause while surfing the net I have come across a few congregations that seem a little 'bodgy'

any info would be great! Thanks

[quote name='GodChild' post='1132291' date='Nov 30 2006, 06:20 PM']
I'm just interested in how new communities are started in the Church? What is the process? Can anyone start a community / congregation?

I suppose i'm curious cause while surfing the net I have come across a few congregations that seem a little 'bodgy'

any info would be great! Thanks
[/quote]
Could you define "bodgy"? I think there's been a comment on this exact process, I'll see if I can do a search and find it for ya... ^_^

By 'bodgy' I mean ... odd, strange, something not quiet right, dubious teachings/charism, questionable purpose / loyalty, questionable catholicity? [if thats even a word] - yet they exist [or supposedly exist] as congregations in the Church.
Basically 'bodgy' = something dont seem right

Well, I certainly hope it wasn't the proposed SOLC Foundations which were considered 'bodgy.' We do have a slew of aspirants for the Monks and Nuns of Our Lady of the Cloister, and are looking for a place to house them. Only after that will they be able to petition the bishop for recognition as a private association of the faithful.

If anyone has questions about the SOLC Foundations, I would greatly appreciate a PM or email--and not be slandered on the phorum. Perhaps 'slandered' is too strong a word, but please try to see it from the founders' perspective. ANY negative press about a proposed/new foundation can be extremely detrimental to it. Although, misunderstanding is usually one of the things to be expected, because of the cross.

Foundations go like this--and there is no blueprint. The Spirit breathes as He will:

First Stage:

1. Inspiration/charism received by the founder;
2. Discerning the spirits with spiritual director;
3. Committing everything to paper.

Numbers two and three can change places.

Second Stage:

This one actually varies, depending on the founders' situation. As I said, the Spirit breathes where He will

1. Already have aspirants, and start living the life without habit (unless already a religious);
2. If no aspirants, advertise;
3. Gather aspirants; do applications; references; interviews; housing; remunerative work;
4. Put together proposal to present to bishop

The first level of living together is known as a "defacto association," and both the bishop and Rome need to know about it.

The second level is "private association of the faithful." The habit may be worn at this stage--depends on the bishop, and I wish there were clearer laws dealing with this. The community cannot make foundations, and the next level of recognition depends on the growth.

If they grow, they become a "public association of the faithful," and are permitted to wear the habit and make foundations.

After 10 years of growth, they become a "religious institute of diocesan right." They answer to the bishop.

After 20 years (or thereabouts) of growth, they become a "religious institute of pontifical right," meaning they answer to the pope.

The process can make one feel as if they're in the jaws of a hungry lion. This is why I ask that common courtesy be extended, and go ahead and inquire as to what's going on. Not saying anything--or saying something negative when there's no need to--doesn't help anyone.

HTH, and I pray I haven't offended anyone.

Blessings,
Gemma

cathoholic_anonymous

I don't think GodChild necessarily meant the SOLC ideas, Gemma - five minutes on Yahoo (search term: "New religious communities") have just shown me dozens of people who are in the process of founding a new community. Some do look a bit dodgy.

This thread has reminded me of a question I wanted to ask you about the proposed SOLC foundations, though. You've got a lot of different proposals on that webpage, whereas most people who feel called to start a new community found only one - and even that demands a great deal of energy, time, and drive.

Like you, I have a form of autism, and this causes me to become obsessed with certain things. When I'm in the grip of a fascination I'm incapable of thinking of or talking about anything else, and so I know from personal experience that most neurotypical people do not know of the depths to which autistic obsession can go. Looking at all those foundations you propose, I did begin to wonder if the religious life might not be an autistic fascination of yours - especially the design of religious habits. Sometimes fascinations are incredibly helpful, as they urge us to work much harder and go on for longer (I once did not eat or sleep for three days when I was working on a project of value to me) but at other times they can cause problems. Don't you think that trying to set up so many foundations is a bit impractical? It could hinder your work in the long run.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1132884' date='Dec 1 2006, 11:51 AM']
I don't think GodChild necessarily meant the SOLC ideas, Gemma - five minutes on Yahoo (search term: "New religious communities") have just shown me dozens of people who are in the process of founding a new community. Some do look a bit dodgy.

This thread has reminded me of a question I wanted to ask you about the proposed SOLC foundations, though. You've got a lot of different proposals on that webpage, whereas most people who feel called to start a new community found only one - and even that demands a great deal of energy, time, and drive.

Like you, I have a form of autism, and this causes me to become obsessed with certain things. When I'm in the grip of a fascination I'm incapable of thinking of or talking about anything else, and so I know from personal experience that most neurotypical people do not know of the depths to which autistic obsession can go. Looking at all those foundations you propose, I did begin to wonder if the religious life might not be an autistic fascination of yours - especially the design of religious habits. Sometimes fascinations are incredibly helpful, as they urge us to work much harder and go on for longer (I once did not eat or sleep for three days when I was working on a project of value to me) but at other times they can cause problems. Don't you think that trying to set up so many foundations is a bit impractical? It could hinder your work in the long run.
[/quote]

Not hardly. Take a look at the existing communities who are dying out. There are many who haven't had vocations in years. These communities we are proposing are all needed in today's world, but they are worshipping with the Traditional Latin Mass. I tried to stop with the Cloisterites, but the charisms find me, I send them away, but they keep coming back, so I pay attention, get the information, and create the webpage. I would've died of fright a long time ago had this not been from God. He made my brain like this for a reason. He hears the cries of the poor, and it's for His greater glory and the salvation of souls that I'm doing it.

So many times I've wanted to shout from the rooftops, "How much longer will your brothers and sisters perish in the streets? Do you not care? We are the hands and feet of Christ! Answer the call!!!"

Everyone thinks I'm the sole cooperator in the foundations, but I'm not. With each new charism, God will send the appropriate people. Among our aspirants, we have several who are going to spearhead the foundation of other proposed charisms. That's part of the Cloisterite charism--to found and renew charisms. I'm the Lawgiver, and I'll be handing them the rule, and letting them know--through conferences--if things are going correctly. If the aspirants are growing in holiness, then we're on the right road. If not, something's wrong.

Also--we're not trying to set up all of the foundations at one time. I think that's where everyone's "reservations" come from. I've also been questioned by those who know nothing about founding religious orders, and they're the ones I'm trying to educate. Part of the difficulting in founding the order is understanding the process. One has to glean from reading about other foundations to get some idea as to how to do it. There's also a book about founding orders, which I have. I also own the private yahoo group, "Founders' Forum." We're muddling through the processes/paths which the Holy Ghost is revealing for our charisms.

In fact, Sr. Joseph Andrew, OP, when I told her about founding an order, said (pointing a finger), "Go for it!"

Blessings,
Gemma

The community I am planning to join was begun in the 1990s. If you got to the website: www.sistersofreparation.org
and read about the history and spirituality of the community there is some info about how it was founded.

[quote name='Pia' post='1132972' date='Dec 1 2006, 02:34 PM']
The community I am planning to join was begun in the 1990s. If you got to the website: www.sistersofreparation.org
and read about the history and spirituality of the community there is some info about how it was founded.
[/quote]

Thank you, Pia. Aren't they actually a renewal? There used to be an entry in McCarthy's Religious Communities book which listed a group by the same name, but they wore white. Had the red cord, too.

I'm ecstatic that they're getting vocations. I've been keeping up with them, too!

Everytime I see your name, I think of Mother Mary of Jesus' daughter whose nickname was the same. She was cured of tetanus by Our Lady of LaSalette, whom her mother, the foundress of the Society of Mary Reparatrix, saw. The foundation of the society was right after the apparitions.

Blessings,
Gemma

angelusdomini

[quote name='Gemma' post='1132981' date='Dec 1 2006, 02:38 PM']

Everytime I see your name, I think of Mother Mary of Jesus' daughter whose nickname was the same. She was cured of tetanus by Our Lady of LaSalette, whom her mother, the foundress of the Society of Mary Reparatrix, saw. The foundation of the society was right after the apparitions.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

I think you may be referring to the Handmaids of Reparation who wear a white habit. There are some pictures of the Sisters and the handmaids of Reparation together. (Sisters of Reparation Website)[url="http://www.sistersofreparation.org/Community/Handmaids.htm"]The Handmaids of Reparation visit the Sisters of Reparation[/url]

:blink: I had NO intention of slandering anyone - believe me when I say I asked this question as an innocent question out of curiosity. I didnt even have a particular community in mind when asking it.

I'm a little surprised my question was taken as an attck :idontknow: Why?
I'd like to know so next time I'll make sure i ask my questions in a better way :(

Truly I had no intent to slander or attack anyone - I was simply curious.
My apologies if I upset anyone :(

Though I must be honest and admit I feel a little angry that my question got such a backlash - even if I didn't word my question in the best of ways [and i still dont see whats wrong with it] please give me a little credit before presuming my intent is to attack or slander people.

Again I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

Now since communicating here you can't hear a persons voice or see their facial expressions - :) :) :) :) :) :) ^_^ :blowkiss:

[quote name='GodChild' post='1133261' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:26 PM']
:blink: I had NO intention of slandering anyone - believe me when I say I asked this question as an innocent question out of curiosity. I didnt even have a particular community in mind when asking it.

I'm a little surprised my question was taken as an attck :idontknow: Why?
I'd like to know so next time I'll make sure i ask my questions in a better way :(

Truly I had no intent to slander or attack anyone - I was simply curious.
My apologies if I upset anyone :(

Though I must be honest and admit I feel a little angry that my question got such a backlash - even if I didn't word my question in the best of ways [and i still dont see whats wrong with it] please give me a little credit before presuming my intent is to attack or slander people.

Again I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

Now since communicating here you can't hear a persons voice or see their facial expressions - :) :) :) :) :) :) ^_^ :blowkiss:
[/quote]

As I said, "slander" is probably the wrong and too strong word. I'm under a tremendous amount of pressure right now where the new foundation is concerned, and I guess I'm a little jumpy--and paranoid. If I do the wrong thing or leave something out, the whole shabang may be ruined.

I'm trying to set up a page on our website dealing with the foundation of new communities--so other potential founders can benefit--and persons such as yourself may be educated.

One of these days, after the Cloisterites are founded, I'm hoping they can host a "Founders College," where founders can come and "learn the ropes" (a term taken from the cloister).

Again, my own apologies for taking it the wrong way. Please pray for me, and my communication disorder known as Aspergers Autism.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='1132981' date='Dec 1 2006, 11:38 AM']
Thank you, Pia. Aren't they actually a renewal? There used to be an entry in McCarthy's Religious Communities book which listed a group by the same name, but they wore white. Had the red cord, too.

I'm ecstatic that they're getting vocations. I've been keeping up with them, too!

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

I think Mother Wendy and Sr. Mary Grace actually started a new community returning to the original charism of Msgr. Celona. They are wonderful sisters and I am so grateful to have found them. Mother Wendy and the LUCKY NOVICES just returned from 2 weeks in Italy where they attended ceremonies involving the Spiritual Founders and went on pilgrimage. Mother emailed me that it was filled with blessings. I'll share pictures when I get them.