An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

St. Cecilia's is a House of the Solesmes congregation, which to me, in simple terms, says one thing: Sung Latin Greggors :D

Anyhows, today I got the latest issue of their Chronicle in the post. Some titbits you might enjoy:[list]
[*][url="http://www.abbeyscribes.org.uk"]Abbey Scribes - a new website[/url]
[*]A new postulant entered on the feast of the Annunciation this year, and will be clothed on 7th December
[*]Sr. Mary Antonia made first profession on 24th April (St. George's! :D)
[*]Sr. Mary Joseph has entered the community in anticipation of her final profession in May next year
[/list]Otherwise there're several articles: A chapter talk from Mother Abbess, a reflection on the second luminous mystery, a chapter out of St. Cecilia's history and a recipe for bread pudding. The community is experimenting with a change to their daily horarium and are looking forward to a golden and platinum jubilee in February and March of 2007 respectively, and 12 October next year sees the centenary of the dedication of the Abbey Church.

Your prayers for St. Cecilia's are appreciated :)

Love and prayers,

PP

brandelynmarie

Oh, how beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be visiting their website most often...there's quite a few websites & blogs that are so helpful to me.....Thank you!

cathoholic_anonymous

I know someone who lived with these sisters for a couple of weeks, before she defected to the Poor Clares. She described them as 'so intense, in a gentle sort of way'. :)

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1133794' date='Dec 2 2006, 11:24 PM']
I know someone who lived with these sisters for a couple of weeks, before she defected to the Poor Clares. She described them as 'so intense, in a gentle sort of way'. :)
[/quote]

Poor Clares Arundel?

Anyways :lol_roll: at the gentle-intense sentiment. I've only been in touch with St. Cecilia's by email, so I couldn't confirm this either way. But it's a lovely way of putting things!

Love and prayers,

PP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1133818' date='Dec 2 2006, 06:42 PM']
Poor Clares Arundel?

Anyways :lol_roll: at the gentle-intense sentiment. I've only been in touch with St. Cecilia's by email, so I couldn't confirm this either way. But it's a lovely way of putting things!

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

I know an American who was there for several years but she found it too hard to adapt culturally. One night, an older nun in choir was looking for her flashlight. She came up to Sr. "Sister, have you seen my torch?" "Your what?" "My torch! My torch!" "Oh, you mean your FLASHLIGHT!"

That was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back. Sister knew she had to leave.

She is now a solemnly professed Cistercian nun in the US!

puellapaschalis

Cross-Atlantic cultural differences are always larger than people expect. Whilst I've heard that St. Cecilia's is fairly international, I [i]think[/i] that most of those to whom that applies were born in other parts of Europe or Asia. Don't know for sure though.

PP

cathoholic_anonymous

No, the Poor Clares at Galway. She's been accepted and she will enter just after Christmas. :) She will be twenty-two when she becomes a postulant, and even though I've since encountered younger nuns (through Phatmass) her age always strikes me as special - she was the first really [i]young[/i] sister-to-be I've ever met. Before then I thought that religious orders in Britain must have a minimum age requirement of sixty-eight!

puellapaschalis

*grin* I know what you mean. There's a convent of active sisters in the parish where I was brought up, I believe that in the entire time I lived there (nineteenyears) there were about two entrances or something.

The postulant at St. Cecilia's was 19 when she entered in March. How's that for a confrontation....

Love and prayers,

PP

Thank you PP for sharing this. St Cecilia's site is lovely. It is wonderful that it is attracting young sisters at this time....there has been s uch a shortage of vocations during the past years. :( :(

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1133917' date='Dec 3 2006, 01:26 AM']
Cross-Atlantic cultural differences are always larger than people expect. Whilst I've heard that St. Cecilia's is fairly international, I [i]think[/i] that most of those to whom that applies were born in other parts of Europe or Asia. Don't know for sure though.

PP
[/quote]
I lived in Ireland (outside of Dublin) for a year in college. People would say: "Oh, that's so nice you didn't have to learn another language to study abroad." To which I would respond: :blink: :lol_pound:

The first few weeks I lived there, I was convinced my (Irish) flatmates were talking to me [i]in Irish[/i]. (Then I just watched a lot of soap operas and eventually got a handle on the language.)

Edited by shortnun

puellapaschalis

The Glaswegian accent is near unintelligible to me sometimes. And when I was in Canada...well, let's just say it was a learning curve :blink: I was asked by a lady in choir if I was Australian!

PP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1134691' date='Dec 4 2006, 10:56 AM']
The Glaswegian accent is near unintelligible to me sometimes. And when I was in Canada...well, let's just say it was a learning curve :blink: I was asked by a lady in choir if I was Australian!

PP
[/quote]
Glaswegian accent may be unintelligable, but it is oh so dreamy. :love: (So is a northern Irish accent.)

When I was traveling in Austria, someone asked us if we were Australian. Maybe Aussie and Yankie accents sound the same to non-English speakers. :blink: (Speaking of Canada, no offense to my northernly neighbors here on the boards, but when my friends (all college-aged women) were traveling around Europe, we would tell people we were Canadian for our safety. The war in Iraq was just starting, and anti-Bush sentiment/rallies were everywhere!)

Sorry for the :hijack:... I'll be more on topic now.

Edited by shortnun