An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Much Is Too Much For Christmas?

MrsFrozen

since i'm still a kid in most eyes... i think i should say something.

parents, whatever you choose to spend on your kids--gifts they want are great, but do include items that may help (particularly teenagers) grow spirtiually. so many are focused on going to the stores and just finding everything on the kid's list (20 video games, 10 cd's, a new bike, a new xbox, etc) rather than taking into consideration what the kids really NEED.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Raphael' post='1149138' date='Dec 25 2006, 10:43 AM']
We always got way too many gifts as kids. We were spoiled.

I do have one thing to say...it's kind of a bummer when all the gifts are practical. I'd like just one thing that's silly, entertaining (but not educational), etc. for Christmas.
[/quote]
My kids bought each other plastic water pistols and bows and arrows and nerf stuff and are running around madly shooting each other and giggling like banshees. My youngest is 19 :) Practical is boring :D:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1149316' date='Dec 25 2006, 03:29 PM']
My kids bought each other plastic water pistols and bows and arrows and nerf stuff and are running around madly shooting each other and giggling like banshees. My youngest is 19 :) Practical is boring :D:
[/quote]

I've got to agree. While clothes are great, and even nice bath products.... the frivolous stuff is what really makes gift giving fun. I think the most practical thing my kids got were a couple books, and even those are entertaining for them.

Speaking of frivolous, this is a gift that my sister bought for Adrienne--top it off with the dress-up crown and jewels that my brother in law bought for her and you have the most stunning ballerina princess ever. She's been wearing said items since she opened them--literally changed into it while opening gifts. lol Genevieve has been wearing a tutu as well, its much simpler and she doesn't seem to know the difference.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/IcePrincessKRS/adrienneballerina.jpg[/img]

edit: What the heck, may as well include a picture of Sunnybeeb, too! :) The little pink dolly she is playing with is one of the priciest items I bought for her and it was under $20. Like I said, I would have loved to splurge on a big ticket item or two but there just isn't anything like that that they need!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/IcePrincessKRS/Picture2796.jpg[/img]

franciscanheart

Well I was surprised by the gifts my family received but my parents were practical about it. My favorite gift given to my siblings: DDR. :D:

MissScripture

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1149316' date='Dec 25 2006, 02:29 PM']
[/quote]
One of my friends gave me a pop gun. I bugged the heck out of everyone in the house yesterday (and gave a few heart attacks) by shooting people with it.
We also had everyone mesmerized by the Jacob's ladder toy she gave me. How DOES that thing work?!?

Edited by MissScripture

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1149415' date='Dec 25 2006, 05:20 PM']
One of my friends gave me a pop gun. I bugged the heck out of everyone in the house yesterday (and gave a few heart attacks) by shooting people with it.
We also had everyone mesmerized by the Jacob's ladder toy she gave me. How DOES that thing work?!?
[/quote]
You mean the electrical gadget with sparks running between two poles? or the wooden one?

[url="http://www.woodcraftarts.com/jacob.htm"]http://www.woodcraftarts.com/jacob.htm[/url]

I went over to my neighbor's house that morning to see what her kids got. Whew! On second thought, maybe I didn't do so bad. LOL Two of the toys broke while I was over there for a few minutes. They are 2 and 4 and both got IPods and IDogs. Plus, they went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, and got a video game system with about 20 games. And a lot of other things. I feel kind of bad for my friend. She loves her kids a lot but just gives them too much. We went down to the basement to put the boxes in the garbage, and she brought down two carts of toys to just throw out. We have gotten into conversations about them having more kids, but they say they only want two so they can give them whatever they want. :( I love my friend. Please pray for them.

IcePrincessKRS

Yeah.... thats my idea of too much. Ipods for a TWO year old? :blink: It drives me nuts when I hear about teenagers who get stuff like that--and I don't just mean one pricey item and then smaller stuff, I'm cool with that, I mean the kids who get an IPod, new cell phone, a, Xbox, a new TV, etc., etc. There IS such a thing as overboard.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='MrsFrozen' post='1150062' date='Dec 26 2006, 07:03 PM']We have gotten into conversations about them having more kids, but they say they only want two so they can give them whatever they want. :( I love my friend. Please pray for them.
[/quote]
What if they want a sibling?

MissScripture

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1150009' date='Dec 26 2006, 05:27 PM']
You mean the electrical gadget with sparks running between two poles? or the wooden one?

[url="http://www.woodcraftarts.com/jacob.htm"]http://www.woodcraftarts.com/jacob.htm[/url]
[/quote]
I mean the wooden kind with a little cork in it. My friend gave me all old-fashioned toys. They're sweet!

[quote name='MrsFrozen' post='1150062' date='Dec 26 2006, 07:03 PM']
I went over to my neighbor's house that morning to see what her kids got. Whew! On second thought, maybe I didn't do so bad. LOL Two of the toys broke while I was over there for a few minutes. They are 2 and 4 and both got IPods and IDogs. Plus, they went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, and got a video game system with about 20 games. And a lot of other things. I feel kind of bad for my friend. She loves her kids a lot but just gives them too much. We went down to the basement to put the boxes in the garbage, and she brought down two carts of toys to just throw out. We have gotten into conversations about them having more kids, but they say they only want two so they can give them whatever they want. :( I love my friend. Please pray for them.
[/quote]
What is an IDog, anyway?

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1150067' date='Dec 26 2006, 09:13 PM']
Yeah.... thats my idea of too much. Ipods for a TWO year old? :blink: It drives me nuts when I hear about teenagers who get stuff like that--and I don't just mean one pricey item and then smaller stuff, I'm cool with that, I mean the kids who get an IPod, new cell phone, a, Xbox, a new TV, etc., etc. There IS such a thing as overboard.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. When she told me about the Ipods, she immediately started explaining.. She was tired of them getting into hers, now she could put clean music on theirs and not have to worry, etc. I have a little CD player I put in my 3-year-old's room and he has Christian toddler CD's and a lullaby CD to listen to. Her kids also both have TVs and DVD players in their rooms. That's something else I don't agree with. What will they get next Christmas? It's so much. :unsure:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1150083' date='Dec 26 2006, 09:44 PM']
What if they want a sibling?
[/quote]

Good point - and they do! Some of our friends have had babies, including me, and they go crazy over them. She says she has thought of having another baby to make her daughter happy - almost like another posession :( - but remembers how she didn't like having a newborn. And I don't want to sound like I am dissing my friend. I like her a lot and I like her kids, I just disagree with some of her parenting tactics.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1150102' date='Dec 26 2006, 10:21 PM']
I mean the wooden kind with a little cork in it. My friend gave me all old-fashioned toys. They're sweet!
What is an IDog, anyway?
[/quote]

An Idog is a little dog you plug the Ipod into and it plays music and dances to it.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1148014' date='Dec 23 2006, 09:55 AM']
They get oranges and sox in their stockings from the Christmas Mouse.[/quote]

I think I saw this idea in a movie once. It was a horror movie called "The Worst Christmas Ever"...or something like that.

:P: :D: :blink: :)

Edited by frozencell

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='frozencell' post='1150192' date='Dec 26 2006, 11:02 PM']
I think I saw this idea in a movie once. It was a horror movie called "The Worst Christmas Ever"...or something like that.

:P: :D: :blink: :)
[/quote]
:( my kids always liked the oranges and sox in their stockings.