An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It A Sin To Comitt A Mortal Sin While Wearing

Resurrexi

you mean twice the sin? I don't think so., however, I've read that saints encountered people who believed that just wearing them would help them. (i.e the scapular, they could keep doing the evil deeds and when they die, they would think they would be saved from the fires of hell) however, in what I have read, if you do not wear it faithfully, not only will the item not help you in your hour of need, but it come off.

It's not a magic stone to grant all, but must be worn faithfully. I don't know if it's a sin or not, but I would think would be disrespectful if you knowingly ignore the point of why you are wearing it.

lemme see what else I can find on the subject.

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1150802' date='Dec 28 2006, 02:21 AM']
you mean twice the sin? I don't think so., however, I've read that saints encountered people who believed that just wearing them would help them. (i.e the scapular, they could keep doing the evil deeds and when they die, they would think they would be saved from the fires of hell) however, in what I have read, if you do not wear it faithfully, not only will the item not help you in your hour of need, but it come off.

It's not a magic stone to grant all, but must be worn faithfully. I don't know if it's a sin or not, but I would think would be disrespectful if you knowingly ignore the point of why you are wearing it.

lemme see what else I can find on the subject.
[/quote]

ya, me too
I remember reading one account that sounded to me like someone who wore a scapular, pretty-much mockingly, thought he could just sin away and be magically free from punishment - the guy ended up basically cursing himself.
He was on his deathbed and the scapular felt as if it were burning him, so he screamed and tore it off... then he died [i]not wearing it.[/i]

I think you misuderstood my original question. What I was originally asking was:

it it another sin to comitt a mortal sin while you wear a sacramental?
E. G.
John is a Catholic and just happens to be wearing a blessed crucifix on a chain when John comitts adultery. Does he comitt another sin of sacrilige by disrespecting the blessed object on top of the mortal sin of comitting adultery?

What does it matter if you're wearing a scapular when you commit a mortal sin? The fact that one is committing a mortal sin in the first place should be the focus of concern.

The gnats really seem to be out today.

Edited by Norseman82

I don't get why everyone is so caught up on the brown scapular, many people (including myself) don't even believe in that particular apparation. I'm talking about sacramentals in general. It could be a crucifix, a St. Benedict Medal, a Miraculous Medal, a St. Christopher Medal, a neclace containing some saint's relic, or yes, maybe even a blessed piece of cloth that allegdly has get-out-of-purgatory-fast promises attached to it.

Wearing a scapular is always a good thing when worn in true devotion.

Christian are more culpable for sins because they know the cost of sins.

The more holy you are the more the sin costs you and everyone else.

Complete the syllogism.

homeschoolmom

So, are you asking if "John's" soul is double damned for wearing a sacramental at the time he commited a mortal sin?

Or are you saying he should confess something like this, "I've commited the sin of adultary.... and I was wearing a crucifix while doing it"?

I don't think commiting a mortal sin while holding, having, or wearing a sacramental would be another sin as long as one is not directly commiting sacrilege to the sacrimental in anyway.

If I were to kill you while wearing a crucifix, I don't see how that would be commiting sacrilege to the crucifix...
However, if I used the crucifix to stab you to death... Then, yes, that would seem to be sacrilege.

I'd think you'd be giving the sacramental too much of a 'mystic' power to say our sins affect the blessings bestowed upon it or the object itself.

Edited by CatholicCid

[quote]So, are you asking if "John's" soul is double damned for wearing a sacramental at the time he commited a mortal sin?

Or are you saying he should confess something like this, "I've commited the sin of adultary.... and I was wearing a crucifix while doing it"?[/quote]

Idk... that's why I made this thread. I actually inteneded it for the Transmundane board, but anyway...

Wearing a sacramental, such as a scapular, medal, etc., while committing a sin would not normally be an additional sin to be confessed. It would only be an additional sin if the sinner directly intended to blaspheme or commit sacrilege in this way, or did it with the intentional purpose of "putting the Lord to the Test."

Simply sinning while wearing the sacramental (giving it no thought, or not bothering to remove it) would not entail an additional sin.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1150799' date='Dec 28 2006, 01:11 AM']
Is it a sin to comitt a mortal sin while wearing a sacramental such as a medal of Our Lady or a Scapular?
[/quote]
doesn't to sin mean to sin?

you're asking if is it a sin to sin????