An Old School Catholic Message Board

Immoral Or Not? Grey's Anatomy And Other Nighttime Tv Shows

Seven77

I believe it is intrinsically immoral. Period. It's not about making mature choices--i.e "it's not an occassion of sin for me".

A friendly question those who watch----what do you think about soap operas? Same principle.

franciscanheart

Soap operas may fit into the same type category.. but surely you don't think their depth of plot, character development, etc compares. :blink:

Birgitta Noel

I think GA does a good job of struggling with some deep issues. Yes, there's some bad choices by the characters, but that's life in a fallen world.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1157545' date='Jan 6 2007, 02:50 PM']
I think GA does a good job of struggling with some deep issues. Yes, there's some bad choices by the characters, but that's life in a fallen world.
[/quote]

We cannot chalk tv garbage up to "life in a fallen world".

TV needs to set the bar higher. To many innocent children are exposed to bad choices on tv and begin to believe it's ok and normal to make bad choices.

The Church is against this kind of tv...

Hollywood does not depict reality, it makes bad things reality and pushes our society on the highway to hell.

If someone can look at something as "just a show" well then good for them... the majority of the people in society do not.

Please check this out; [url="http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/01_culture-war.htm"]http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/01_culture-war.htm[/url]

He has some very valid points.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Edited by ironmonk

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1157921' date='Jan 7 2007, 12:59 AM']
We cannot chalk tv garbage up to "life in a fallen world".
[/quote]

Well in a way we can, that's where the garbage comes from, original sin, concupicence, etc. My other point in that statement was that people's bad choices, here the characters in GA, are a result of their living in a fallen world. I know you know this, I'm just clarifying.

I often find myself watching this type of show and shaking my head sadly realizing what the characters are missing by the choices they're making. Call it a learning experience, a recognition of my deeper appreciation for the fullness of Truth that they lack.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1157522' date='Jan 6 2007, 02:15 PM']
Soap operas may fit into the same type category.. but surely you don't think their depth of plot, character development, etc compares. :blink:
[/quote]

hmm... think of it as a 'glorified' soap opera :)

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1157952' date='Jan 7 2007, 02:29 AM']
Well in a way we can, that's where the garbage comes from, original sin, concupicence, etc. My other point in that statement was that people's bad choices, here the characters in GA, are a result of their living in a fallen world. I know you know this, I'm just clarifying.

I often find myself watching this type of show and shaking my head sadly realizing what the characters are missing by the choices they're making. Call it a learning experience, a recognition of my deeper appreciation for the fullness of Truth that they lack.
[/quote]

I have no doubt that it may be a learning experience in the way you mean. But for the majority of viewers it may not. In fact i do believe such shows establish 'norms of immorality' in the culture. For many it is a very different kind of learning experience.

Where is the moral "disclaimer" woven into the shows?