An Old School Catholic Message Board

Laboure Society

TeresaAvila

Hello, has anyone ever contacted the Laboure Society or know anything about it? I'm considering looking into this, so any advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks and God Bless You!

I've heard that some aspirants have used it to assist them with paying off debt, so they can enter religious life. It depends on the community though, because in some situations, the debt isn't paid off before final vows are made. And some communities won't allow that.

Edited by HisChild

+

Give them a call! Cy Laurent the founder is an excellent man! They've helped many people I know be able to enter religious life. Blessings!

passionheart

[quote name='Veritas' post='1157869' date='Jan 7 2007, 12:35 AM']
+

Give them a call! Cy Laurent the founder is an excellent man! They've helped many people I know be able to enter religious life. Blessings!
[/quote]

I agree with Veritas. I have spoken with him in the past and is a wonderful man. It fact we used the Laboure Society as our model for our own fundraisng.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your wonderful help and prayers. I just wanted to update, I've been in contact with Cy Laurent of the Laboure Society, a wonderful person, and we are in the process if taking the steps to open up a file and also I shared with Cy about our "Broke Daughters of St. Dominic" and how we're all praying for one another to overcome our debts to be free to enter religious life and he thinks that's wonderful and wanted the link to our thread and I'm sure he will be praying for us, and please pray for him, his loved ones and the Laboure Society!

God Bless You!

• 1 year later...

Well so far I have sent out over 200 letters with the Laboure Society. We'll see how it goes. Cy has been very helpful and is a very generous kind man. I've also sent an application to the Mater Ecclesaie Fund for Vocations so who knows. If things work out with my student loans then i'll be entering the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word on August 22nd if not then I'll be living at home for a year and working. I'm hoping things work out for me to enter. I haven't lived at home in 9 years. It is all in the Lord's hands and I msut simply trust Him.

Caramelonion

[quote name='TeresaAvila' post='1171407' date='Jan 20 2007, 04:00 PM']Thank you all for your wonderful help and prayers. I just wanted to update, I've been in contact with Cy Laurent of the Laboure Society, a wonderful person, and we are in the process if taking the steps to open up a file and also I shared with Cy about our "Broke Daughters of St. Dominic" and how we're all praying for one another to overcome our debts to be free to enter religious life and he thinks that's wonderful and wanted the link to our thread and I'm sure he will be praying for us, and please pray for him, his loved ones and the Laboure Society!

God Bless You![/quote]

Hi:

Just a quick question...did you call them or send them an email? If you emailed them, how long did it take for a response? I just didn't know how long to wait before I called.

Thanks!

Marieteresa

[quote name='veritas99' post='1568054' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:31 AM']Well so far I have sent out over 200 letters with the Laboure Society. We'll see how it goes. Cy has been very helpful and is a very generous kind man. I've also sent an application to the Mater Ecclesaie Fund for Vocations so who knows. If things work out with my student loans then i'll be entering the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word on August 22nd if not then I'll be living at home for a year and working. I'm hoping things work out for me to enter. I haven't lived at home in 9 years. It is all in the Lord's hands and I msut simply trust Him.[/quote]

Just wondering are you listed on the Laboure society website? Also, can one make donates directly to you via this site?

Laudem Gloriae

I had joined the Laboure Society years ago and didn't get any help or response. That is great you had 200 letters to send out! How did you get so many people? When I joined [b]I[/b] had to find all the people and addresses to send my letters out to. It was very disappointing. So if you don't know many people or places to send you letters, you're on your own I guess and out of luck.

Then I was on their site about 2 wks ago and noticed that my name - which had previously been on their list - is not on it any more! I have no idea what happened.

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1569888' date='Jun 12 2008, 06:03 PM']Just wondering are you listed on the Laboure society website? Also, can one make donates directly to you via this site?[/quote]

Yes my name is on their website, Tracy Dolan

I think donations made on the site goes into the general pool of money. Basically you submit to them a list of addresses and they go into a database so when money comes in they look at who is sending it and if the name matches up with one of the names in the database given by the people they are working with and keep tabs that way.

I sent letters to everyone I know even if just through a friend. Back in 2001-2002 I served a year with NET Ministries and so I asked a lot of the NET Alumni that I know as well. Plus I asked all of my classesmates at ST.Thomas even ifthey could only give $5 because every little bit helps. SO we'll see how things turn out.

Also to answer another question form the thread. I called and e-mailed the Laboure Society. It's based out of the Twin Cities and I lvie in St.Paul so I was able to get together with Cy Laurent a couple of times. I had met him at a fundraising thing for NET Ministries about four years ago. 12% of all NET Team MEmbers after serving go on to pursue a vocation to the priesthood or religious life.

TRacy

Laudem Gloriae

Tracy,

Unless they changed their way of dealing with donations, Cy told me that I was to put in my letters and tell people that when they sent donations to the Laboure Society to put my name on the donation form or check, etc. so that I would get the money. It wouldn't be fair if you have a big debt and a friend or a responder to your letter donates say $5000 or more and it goes into a general pool and you get maybe a $1000 or something. So I was told to have the donor specifically specify the money was for ME so that I would get it all.

Good luck with your debt reduction!

It might have changed then bevcause he stressed that it goes into a "general fund" you sitll get the money though, they have the database of all of the names and addresses that you submit so they keep tabs that way. Donations that are sent in from the people that are from my list of addresses that I submitted and is kept tracj that way. DOes that make sense? It sounds like they may be doing in differently then when you were involved but the money sent int by "my people" still goes to me.

Tracy