An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sr. Angela To Receive The Habit

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I thought you'd all like to know the good news that Sr. Angela will be receiving the Dominican habit AND a new name on Feb 11th, feast of our Lady of Lourdes. You can imagine she is counting down the days! Meanwhile, those of us in the sewing charges are busy sewing! With us, the novice never sews her own habit. The community instead does all the preparing and so that at the clothing ceremony as she receives her habit it is a sign that from now on she is a member of the community and receives all she needs and shares all things in common with the other sisters.

It will be nice to have 2 novices. I'm sure you can agree! :P:

woot! I am so excited fo you all! I can't wait to find out what the name is..... does Sr. Angela have any particular devotions? Good luck with all that sewing!

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1160768' date='Jan 10 2007, 05:40 PM']
I thought you'd all like to know the good news that Sr. Angela will be receiving the Dominican habit AND a new name on Feb 11th, feast of our Lady of Lourdes. You can imagine she is counting down the days! Meanwhile, those of us in the sewing charges are busy sewing! With us, the novice never sews her own habit. The community instead does all the preparing and so that at the clothing ceremony as she receives her habit it is a sign that from now on she is a member of the community and receives all she needs and shares all things in common with the other sisters.

It will be nice to have 2 novices. I'm sure you can agree! :P:
[/quote]

I'm going to get you a special pass to come to SMME and sew habits!

We have to sew our own! If there is one thing I DONT DO its sew! ;) ^_^ :lol:

Does her name have ANYTHING to do with "Our Lady of Lourdes" or such................??????

Sister, There are some communities where the habits are all in a common wardrobe, is that the case in your community, or do you each have your 'own' habits? (I always thought it amusing if a 5'9" sister got the habit of someone a lot shorter, or vice versa out of some humilty practice, which is a story one nun told me a long time ago.) I think it's great that the sister doesn't sew her own habit. That's such a gift!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='HisChild' post='1161037' date='Jan 10 2007, 09:26 PM']
Sister, There are some communities where the habits are all in a common wardrobe, is that the case in your community, or do you each have your 'own' habits? (I always thought it amusing if a 5'9" sister got the habit of someone a lot shorter, or vice versa out of some humilty practice, which is a story one nun told me a long time ago.) I think it's great that the sister doesn't sew her own habit. That's such a gift!
[/quote]

Our habits are kept in common and given out every other week. They are washed, pressed, mended, adjusted, switched, etc by the vestiarian (which just happens to be me!) A sister isn't given any random habit. We've never had that practice! We follow St. Augustine's rule that says the habits are to be kept in common and taken care of by a sister. Sometimes I switch habits for some reason but not just for fun. I don't have time for that! The advantage of being novice mistress also is that the novitiate sisters help me out!

We have winter and summer habits. When those get too old for good wear they are made into work habits. When they are not presentable for work habits they are made into night habits until they are basically rags!

The tradition was that you got a hand me down at clothing and a new one at profession. I only got my first new habit about 10 years after I entered. However, I don't have any extras on hand so we are sewing Sr. Angela new ones.

she_who_is_not

Ooh, are we playing name that novice? Is it like 20 questions? Does it have Mary (or any derivative thereof) in it? I'm really bad at these games.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1161077' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:38 PM']
Our habits are kept in common and given out every other week. They are washed, pressed, mended, adjusted, switched, etc by the vestiarian (which just happens to be me!) A sister isn't given any random habit. We've never had that practice! We follow St. Augustine's rule that says the habits are to be kept in common and taken care of by a sister. Sometimes I switch habits for some reason but not just for fun. I don't have time for that! The advantage of being novice mistress also is that the novitiate sisters help me out!

We have winter and summer habits. When those get too old for good wear they are made into work habits. When they are not presentable for work habits they are made into night habits until they are basically rags!

The tradition was that you got a hand me down at clothing and a new one at profession. I only got my first new habit about 10 years after I entered. However, I don't have any extras on hand so we are sewing Sr. Angela new ones.
[/quote]

I can imagine that being quite exciting for Sr.Angela. When I was at Buffalo we were helping sister with measuring the length of cappa she was fixing for another sister. . Just being a model felt exciting for me and a little hopeful that this might be God's place for me.

I am not even in the door yet and I am thinking about my clothing day and new name!! During my aspirancy we spoke about what names we would like. Sr. Rose told we should be working on virtue and stop worrying about our names. I said to sister, sister I rather work on the names it is more fun :P:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1161082' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:42 PM']
Ooh, are we playing name that novice? Is it like 20 questions? Does it have Mary (or any derivative thereof) in it? I'm really bad at these games.
[/quote]

Yes, we are! It's over on the blog. Mind you, Sister DOES know the name she would like to receive. So, it's guessing what name she's going to get, not giving her suggestions!

The community is dying to know and teasing hoping they'll guess. It's cruel that the naming part is at the END of the ceremony! :ohno:

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1161382' date='Jan 11 2007, 11:41 AM']
Yes, we are! It's over on the blog. Mind you, Sister DOES know the name she would like to receive. So, it's guessing what name she's going to get, not giving her suggestions!

The community is dying to know and teasing hoping they'll guess. It's cruel that the naming part is at the END of the ceremony! :ohno:
[/quote]

Whooo can I play? LOL :P:

Sister Mary Dominic of the cross :saint:

God Bless you!
Jessica
[url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul[/url]
[url="http://blog.myspace.com/147329732"]http://blog.myspace.com/147329732[/url]

VeniteAdoremus

Ooh, the part about the habit is so amusing... when I was staying with the Carmel DCJ's, the vocations directress mused that I'd always get a new habit, lucky me ;) (There are some advantages to being ridiculously tall, I guess.)

Sister, do you have a tunic and loose scapular, or are they attached?