An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Book I Think All People Should Read

Resurrexi

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1161713' date='Jan 11 2007, 05:02 PM']
The Catechism of the Council of Trent. It's really good. Has anyone else read it?
[/quote]You can't read that any more. Things have changed from the following in the Catechism of PiousV:

"Execution Of Criminals
Another kind of lawful slaying belongs to the civil authorities, to whom is entrusted power of life and death, by the legal and judicious exercise of which they punish the guilty and protect the innocent. The just use of this power, far from involving the crime of murder, is an act of paramount obedience to this Commandment which prohibits murder. The end of the Commandment� is the preservation and security of human life. Now the punishments inflicted by the civil authority, which is the legitimate avenger of crime, naturally tend to this end, since they give security to life by repressing outrage and violence. Hence these words of David: In the morning I put to death all the wicked of the land, that I might cut off all the workers of iniquity from the city of the Lord."

To the following in the current Catechism :
"2267 Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor."

The civil autorities are no longer entrusted with the power of live and death according to the President of the Pontifical Council of Peace and Justice in the Vatican. Following the Catechism of Trent would be a Crime.

Soon, JUSTICE will no longer be considerd a human virtue. Already, things have changed and society is moving toward giving preference to the poor.
1807 Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the "virtue of religion." Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good. The just man, often mentioned in the Sacred Scriptures, is distinguished by habitual right thinking and the uprightness of his conduct toward his neighbor. "You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor."68 "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven."69

Edited by Anomaly

I don't think the two paragraphs from the two catechisms contradict each other at all and I really don't think it matters what Mr President of Justice and blah blah blah said because He's not the Pope or my bishop or acting with the Pope at an ecumenical council.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1161774' date='Jan 11 2007, 04:27 PM']
You can't read that any more. Things have changed from the following in the Catechism of PiousV:

"Execution Of Criminals
Another kind of lawful slaying belongs to the civil authorities, to whom is entrusted power of life and death, by the legal and judicious exercise of which they punish the guilty and protect the innocent. The just use of this power, far from involving the crime of murder, is an act of paramount obedience to this Commandment which prohibits murder. The end of the Commandment� is the preservation and security of human life. Now the punishments inflicted by the civil authority, which is the legitimate avenger of crime, naturally tend to this end, since they give security to life by repressing outrage and violence. Hence these words of David: In the morning I put to death all the wicked of the land, that I might cut off all the workers of iniquity from the city of the Lord."

To the following in the current Catechism :
"2267 Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor."

The civil autorities are no longer entrusted with the power of live and death according to the President of the Pontifical Council of Peace and Justice in the Vatican. Following the Catechism of Trent would be a Crime.

Soon, JUSTICE will no longer be considerd a human virtue. Already, things have changed and society is moving toward giving preference to the poor.
1807 Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the "virtue of religion." Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good. The just man, often mentioned in the Sacred Scriptures, is distinguished by habitual right thinking and the uprightness of his conduct toward his neighbor. "You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor."68 "Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven."69
[/quote]

Please don't turn this into another Death Penalty thread. Theres more than enough solid evidence in the other thread to show the error in your thinking.

[quote name='Cardinals Flower' post='1162374' date='Jan 12 2007, 05:08 PM']
i forgot what the Council of Trent was again?
[/quote]

The Council which happened soon after Protestantism started emerging, which helped to put forth very explicitly and define Church teaching on the contraversial issues of the time, which the Protestant reformers took issue with. It also helped to reform the Church, rooting out the potential for questionable practices.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1161838' date='Jan 11 2007, 05:44 PM']
I don't think the two paragraphs from the two catechisms contradict each other at all and I really don't think it matters what Mr President of Justice and blah blah blah said because He's not the Pope or my bishop or acting with the Pope at an ecumenical council.
[/quote]

:lol: :clap: OH WAIT :( That we actually have to say such a thing.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1161774' date='Jan 11 2007, 04:27 PM']
[/quote]

And thats.........bad?

Laudate_Dominum

Yay! I agree that it would be awesome if people read that text. Lately I've been stoked about Aquinas' treatise [i]De Malo[/i] and I totally wish that everyone could read it since lately I've been hearing lots of "if God allows evil to happen...", "how could a good God create a world full of evil.." da dee da...

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195091833/ref=olp_product_details/103-6852120-8529431?ie=UTF8&seller="]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/019509183...TF8&seller=[/url]