An Old School Catholic Message Board

Xeno's Paradoxes

Hirsap

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1175170' date='Jan 24 2007, 08:47 PM']
thank you :)

next question: what is Eleatic philosophy?
[/quote]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleatic_school_of_philosophy"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleatic_school_of_philosophy[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='1176059' date='Jan 25 2007, 05:39 PM']
ah, I love it when wikipedia saves me from my lack of ability to teach!
[/quote]
haha, ditto. :)

Technically, a point takes up no space (or an infinitely small amount of space, so if you start at one point, you really aren't starting anywhere. A line is a series of infinitely many points, which is how I arrived at the above conclusion.

Also, to refute Xeno's paradox, I could merely argue that it takes an infinately small amount of time to traverse from one point to the next, so that's an infinitely small amount of time to traverse an infinite amount of points... which comes out to a regular amount of time to traverse a regular distance. (infinity * close to zero = well, could be anything, really, but it's less than infinity (since close to zero < 1) and greater than zero)

• 3 weeks later...
Laudate_Dominum

Oh man, I want this thread to live. I think I owe Jeff a response.. I'll try to post soon (I've been super busy with everything).

• 2 weeks later...
Laudate_Dominum

Jeff,

I know we're both busy, but I thought of something that would be really fun (IMHO).

What if I argue in favor of Eleatic philosophy? I can perhaps become a temporary neo-Eleatic, and you can do whatever you want and we'll debate the issues on this thread?

I was just thinking earlier of some arguments in favor of an Eleatic type monism and I think it could be fun to test things out. hehe

Guest JeffCR07

lol, I think its a great idea. Did I ever tell you I'm thinking about getting a shirt made that says "I heart Parmenides"? I think I'll take on a Perapatetic approach to arguing against you. Either that [i]or[/i] if you want I could try to respond the way Heraclitus would, which might get fun given the fact that they represent radically opposing viewpoints.

So take you pick, does Parmenides want to fight Aristotle or Heraclitus? :lol_roll: