An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About Visitg Cloistered Communities

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

When you visit a cloistered community, you don't enter the cloister, right? So where do you sleep and how do you interact with the community to learn about their day and 'live the life'?

:idontknow:

puellapaschalis

With the various Benedictines I know, you're invited to stay in the guesthouse and then have lots of chats and walks and such with the Novice Mistress/Superior/other appropriate person, either about the open grounds or in the parlour. This isn't usually a problem since Benedictines have guest facilities anyway. Meals would usually be taken with the other guests.

Usually an applicant can also make a longer visit (referred to by the Dominicans and Poor Clares I've seen as an aspirancy, although I've never heard a Benedictine house using that term) which is inside the cloister. This would only happen after a "normal" visit or two and as a precursor to entering.

Of course, Bennies vary wildly so this would by no means hold for everyone.

Love and prayers,

PP

I've visited a couple cloisters. The first one, after a day of my remaining in the guest room and the public side of the chapel, asked if I wanted to 'come inside and see'. So the remainder of my visit was within the cloistered walls.

The second one I visited was all within the guest areas, and then, should they and I choose for me to return, I would do so, and this time, have a 'live-in'.

I think, for most communities, the first visit is for you and the community to get a sense of each other. Then, if you both feel the comfort level is there, then a more extensive visit within the cloister is called for. One of the sisters explained it this way: If they were to allow anyone who asked to come for a visit, to come inside the cloister, it would be a constant disruption to their lives. So, there's a weeding out, if you will, first.

At OLAM aspirants stay in a guesthouse for all visits. If they are very interested in the cloister (and are eligible to enter it) they will spend at least one of their visiting days from breakfast until after supper in the cloister. Mass and morning Office are with the externs in the public side of the chapel. They don't [i]generally[/i] have live-in experiences. I think it differs greatly from one community to the next, though :)

Lauren

I think more and more communities are allowing it, however, a live-in or a short visit within the cloister. Whereas in the past, one just entered without any sense of what they were getting themselves into, now more women like to have a little more information. At least, when I was in a rel life discernment prayer group, that was the concensus that I got. I could be wrong. But it seems as though more and more monasteries are allowing live ins or visits than even 10 yrs ago.

Thats probably true. It's kind of a delicate line, because as you said before, you can't take everyone who wants to come in just to see. That would be against the spirit of enclosure. You have to get to know them a bit first. Some communities have either a fairly extensive application process (I have in mind Lockport here), and some have more of an interview process (i.e., OLAM... maybe PCPA's in general; I don't know).

Lauren

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1163686' date='Jan 13 2007, 02:16 PM']
Thats probably true. It's kind of a delicate line, because as you said before, you can't take everyone who wants to come in just to see. That would be against the spirit of enclosure. You have to get to know them a bit first. Some communities have either a fairly extensive application process (I have in mind Lockport here), and some have more of an interview process (i.e., OLAM... maybe PCPA's in general; I don't know).

Lauren
[/quote]
Yes there application is quite extensive, but it's worth it.
At Lockport they do offer an aspiratancy(sp?) where you live almost like a postulant. they do offer visits where you stay in the retreat house and your lunch and dinner is brought to you. They usally open the chapel early for discerners to share Divine Office.
oh if you ever do "visit" there, go hungery, they serve the most wonderful food!

Please don't forgot to pray for Vactions to the Lockport Dominicans. :)

Jessica
[url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul[/url]
[url="http://blog.myspace.com/147329732"]http://blog.myspace.com/147329732[/url]

Yes, Lockport offers an aspirancy for discerners. :) Do continue to pray for an increase of vocations to their monastery. They're a beautiful community; I had the pleasure of visiting once. And DiscerningSoul is right- their food must be prepared with a lot of love because it's great!

I would highly recommend a visit to Lockport for any young woman discerning a call to monasticism, whether Dominican or not. Their spirit is very warm and welcoming and Mother Mary Imelda (Novice Mistress) is wonderful.

Lauren

Edited by Totus Tuus

Well I discerned with a few different cloistered communities, and how the visits were depended on distance, those very close to me, I'd go and meet with the superior and/or novice mistress in the parlour for a talk and I'd go and pray in the public chapel, the pink sisters I would go and stay all day from the time the chapel opened until it closed on my prayer days and the Novice mistress would give me the set of office books (as they chant the office, they use several) and I'd stay in the public chapel and chant the office, and meet with the novice mistress for a talk and lesson in the afternoon, and I did this once a month.

Other cloistered communities that were not as close to me (some in other states) I'd stay in their guest quaters and usually stay for a few days, and sometimes the superior would give me the office books to pray in the public chapel and even some of the communities I'd help the extern sister with cleaning the chapel or gradening (at one carmelite community I went on shopping trips with the extern and took her dog to the vet, so I kinda got an idea of the life) I'd have talks with the supeiors and meet other community members, like the novice mistresses and some communities I'd get to share recreation time, the community would come into the parlour and I'd be on the guest side and we'd have recreation and a time for them to ask questions and me to ask questiosn and get to know one another more.

Then a couple I did actual live-ins, the Pink sisters live in (or observer program as they call it) one has to apply for this and it's part of the initial application process and you are fitted for your habit and you spend a week to 2 weeks or longer if possible living the life, doing all the duties that the sisters do, going to office, mass, meals, work, lessons, recreation etc and it gives the community a chance to get to know the candidate more and see if she's suitable for the life and for her to get to know the community and see if she feels called to this life and if so she may request to apply for entrance into the community.

Now there are some cloistered communities who do not have live-ins (like some poor clares due to their vow of enclosure) but many now a days are having live-ins, or aspirancy type programs, which are very beneficial I think for the community and the candidate.

Well I hope this helps and God Bless You!

Edited by TeresaAvila

Most of the cloisters I've visited don't allow you to enter the cloister until you're actually entering as a postulant. I really rather think this is a good idea. Otherwise, it could become a disturbance for the community. I've always stayed in a room either in the guest area within the monastery building, or in a guest house.

I guess it can be a good thing to allow very serious discerners into the cloister though. I didn't have much of an idea of how the life is lived at Buffalo until I actually entered there. I knew the horarium, but it's nothing in comparison to living it. I felt very much after a short time as a postulant there, that I was called to more solitude, and to an order with more Eucharistic adoration.

But really that's exactly what a postulant is, a very serious discerner. It's not uncommon for postulants to come and go a lot, as Mother Miriam told me. I think it's best to protect the cloister as much as possible. It is true though then, that young women discerning cloistered life, can't get as much of an experience of the community until they enter than if they're discerning with other orders.

But usually this is how it goes: You stay in a guest area and have times of praying in the public chapel and times to speak with the Mother or other sisters in the parlor behind the grill. A few times the Mothers would bring all the sisters out to met me, so I could get a better sense of the community. At Buffalo I met a few sisters during their time of recreation, and also got a chance to talk with the Novice Mistress for a while, too. Then if the monastery has them, there are always the extern sisters which you can ask many of your questions to. :j

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]When you visit a cloistered community, you don't enter the cloister, right? So where do you sleep and how do you interact with the community to learn about their day and 'live the life'?[/quote]

Quidenham Carmel is cloistered and yet the nuns allowed me to live inside with them for a few days. They say that the experience is beneficial to them, and they were among the communities that fought hardest for this to be allowed. It doesn't happen very often - maybe once a year, if that. It was a beautiful experience, and it got me seriously considering the cloister. :) I'm going again at Easter for a longer period.

Basically, I lived the life of the sisters. I prayed alongside them, ate with them, completed household chores with them, etc. The novice mistress and the prioress set aside an hour or so each day for me to ask questions and learn about their way of life, but that's the only way in which my schedule differed from the community's.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

franciscanheart

Wow! Lots of answers. Thanks everyone. ^_^ I've gotten about half-way through.. only a few more posts to read. :)

And I've finished. All very enlightening. :) Sounds like it varies from community to community. I should have known. :P: