An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cloistered Sisters

passerby

Hello all,

I found out that there is a, I believe, small cloister near my house. I'm terribly curious and would love to see their chapel and to visit with them, ask them questions.

My question is, can I just walk up to the door and knock? How should I go about doing this?

Thanks and blessings,
J

[quote name='passerby' post='1163970' date='Jan 13 2007, 11:55 PM']
Hello all,

I found out that there is a, I believe, small cloister near my house. I'm terribly curious and would love to see their chapel and to visit with them, ask them questions.

My question is, can I just walk up to the door and knock? How should I go about doing this?

Thanks and blessings,
J
[/quote]

There should be some kind of instructions on how to contact them somewhere in the vicinity of the front door. People probably go up there all the time to give them prayer intentions.

Blessings,
Gemma

You could look up their convent in the phone book and call and make an appointment to talk with the superior in regards discerning a vocation and learning more about their community, or write a letter, or depending on the order, most of them have a side entrance near the convent where you will usually be greeted by the extern and/or portress and you could let them know you are discerning and ask to talk with the superior if possible or set up an appointment to visit at more convenient time, you could always see if they have a website and email them too, I"m sure they'd be glad to help in any way!

God Bless You!

Edited by TeresaAvila

[quote name='passerby' post='1163970' date='Jan 13 2007, 11:55 PM']
Hello all,

Thanks and blessings,
J
[/quote]

If the convent is the one I am thinking, yes you can go and ring bell. There is an extern sister there who will help you out!!

[quote name='passerby' post='1163970' date='Jan 13 2007, 10:55 PM']
Hello all,

Thanks and blessings,
J
[/quote]
I agree... you can call, or look them up on the web and see if they list hours for the public to visit the chapel.

In many monasteries, there is a door near the chapel that is usually open most of the day. Sometimes there will be signs. If not just go to the front door and if it says knock or ring bell, do so. Many places have a lobby where you walk in and then there is a 'turn' you can ring at for the nuns and a door to the chapel. I would just go look around for the first visit and get a feel for the chapel. You might even see the nuns or hear them while they pray.
I would be more inclined to write them via snail mail if you want to meet the vocation director. If they are on line, then that is ok. Alot of the communities are not online.
And if you are hanging around the chapel, you might get to meet the externs if they are there. They are always so helpful and more then willing to speak to you.

Thanks for you input everyone.

So, if I knock on the door what should I say? Hi, my name is.... and then what. How awkward could this be? lol

Blessings,
J

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='passerby' post='1164286' date='Jan 14 2007, 06:16 PM']

So, if I knock on the door what should I say? Hi, my name is.... and then what. How awkward could this be? lol

Blessings,
J
[/quote]

"Hi, I'm J, I'm discerning my vocation and it might be contemplative, tell me all!"

After which they'll probably smile benignly and ask you some questions, if my experiences are any reference :)

I believe I would not start out just knocking and saying 'hey, tell me about your sisters'. Cloistered nuns are very busy indeed. I believe it would be best to write them first and tell them a little about yourself and set up an appointment. It certainly does not hurt if you visit the place and spend some time in the chapel You might happen upon an extern and you could surely talk to her about your intentions. She would either give you some info, or she might get someone else to speak to you. Don't put pressure on yoursellf, the sisters will want to speak to you. I just feel it best to set things up in advance.

puellapaschalis

I'd drop a note through the door, briefly introducing myself and asking if it were possible to come and speak with someone, but that's because I'm quite shy and prefer to do things one at a time: make contact, speaking to someone, talking about vocations. Might not hold for you, of course :)

Love and prayers,

PP

Just say something like "Hello, I'm (your name) and I'm discerning a call to religious life and feel god might be calling me to the cloistered life and am interested in learning more about your community, do you have some literature about your community I might read" and you could set up a time to meet at a more convenient time and give them your contact information too. Don't worry about feeling awkward, they will be more than glad to help you and answer any questions you might have! Hope this Helps :)

[quote name='passerby' post='1164286' date='Jan 14 2007, 11:16 AM']

Blessings,
J
[/quote]

Edited by TeresaAvila