An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling & Visiting Orders During Lent

Chiquitunga

Hey guys, I forgot whether this was true or not, but is it generally that a lot of orders don't allow, or at least not very much, visitors to come and discern during Lent? - particularly cloisters, I'm asking about.

I don't remember very well if this is true or not. I was making a lot of visits last, back in Winter 2002. I stopped just before Lent of 03. I remember Mother Miriam at Buffalo said I definitely couldn't enter during Lent. So I remember this time of waiting. I'll ask the particular places myself, but just wondered if any of you knew anything about whether it is more limited, in visiting cloisters, during Lent. Thanks!

Edited by Margaret Clare

AlterDominicus

Sort of off topic, but its kinda funny because me and couple other friends will be at the Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor on the 1st Sunday of Lent, and into Monday afternoon/evening, but yeah I know the cloistered you cant call or contact them during Lent.

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1169575' date='Jan 18 2007, 08:31 PM']
Sort of off topic, but its kinda funny because me and couple other friends will be at the Sisters of Mary in Ann Arbor on the 1st Sunday of Lent, and into Monday afternoon/evening, but yeah I know the cloistered you cant call or contact them during Lent.
[/quote] Ahh, really? I know they can't contact family, or receive letters from them, or anything like that - but do you know, does this also apply for discerners, and visits?

At the Vatican, and a lot of religious communities, their annual retreat is the first week of Lent.

Generally contact and visit don't happen during Lent.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Family/friends visits, writing and the like are usually not allowed during Lent but a discernment visit is something different and would be appropriate during Lent. The important thing is just to ask! Usually Holy Week isn't good unless it's a Benedictine house or a house that stresses hospitality and is used to having a lot of guests at that time.

Thanks, guys! I'm mostly just wondering in general, as I'm pretty frustrated having to stay at this job M-F now, with a great deal of dispeace in my soul, and desiring to visit places. With Lent coming, I'm even more anxious :( and worried it'll be too late after this store I'm at closes and I'm free to visit .. Okay, trust in God :pray:

But yeah, as Sr. Mary Catharine said, I'll call the individual places and find out. Thanks again!

I believe this is true for most communities.

As always.... [i]OLAM[/i] would prefer not to have the sisters make family visits during Advent and Lent but due to the high number of sisters it is not always possible to schedule visits for strictly non-penitential seasons.

As for discernment, there is not, from my observation, a general gearing of visits towards certain seasons because often they are based on the what is best for the schedule of the girl discerning. I myself visited with them during Lent [i]and[/i] Advent before I entered (I even entered during Advent...). And many other girls have done the same, visiting during Lent or Advent.

However, with other communities I've contacted there certainly seems to be preference on non-penitential seasons as visiting time.

^_^

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1169731' date='Jan 18 2007, 08:27 PM']
I believe this is true for most communities.

As always.... [i]OLAM[/i] would prefer not to have the sisters make family visits during Advent and Lent but due to the high number of sisters it is not always possible to schedule visits for strictly non-penitential seasons.

As for discernment, there is not, from my observation, a general gearing of visits towards certain seasons because often they are based on the what is best for the schedule of the girl discerning. I myself visited with them during Lent [i]and[/i] Advent before I entered (I even entered during Advent...). And many other girls have done the same, visiting during Lent or Advent.

However, with other communities I've contacted there certainly seems to be preference on non-penitential seasons as visiting time.

^_^
[/quote]

I would certainly ask the order because when I asked the Tyburn Nuns if I could visit in March, they not only said this was good, they asked me to stay through Easter as well! I think it depends on the individual convent - so ask!

I visited right on the beginning cusp of Advent, but was unable to enter during Lent. Like everyone above said, it depends on the community. ..but if at all possible, since their practices are often different during those times, more penitential perhaps, again depending on the community of course, I think I'd rather visit during other seasons, simply to see how their lives are lived during 'ordinary' times.

Edited by HisChild

cathoholic_anonymous

I will probably be staying the cloister during Lent (depending on how well my preparation for summer exams goes). The sisters weren't at all reluctant to have me, so perhaps it depends on the place.

[quote name='HisChild' post='1169966' date='Jan 19 2007, 03:37 AM']
I visited right on the beginning cusp of Advent, but was unable to enter during Lent. Like everyone above said, it depends on the community. ..but if at all possible, since their practices are often different during those times, more penitential perhaps, again depending on the community of course, I think I'd rather visit during other seasons, simply to see how their lives are lived during 'ordinary' times.
[/quote]

This is true. As you well know, monastic life can be quite different during Lent than during ordinary time and even more different from say, Easter or Christmastide.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1169975' date='Jan 19 2007, 05:01 AM'] perhaps it depends on the place.
[/quote]

I'm thinking this is definitely the right answer :D: