Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Read Any Good Books Lately?


Recommended Posts

PatrickRitaMichael
Posted

I've rediscovered my love of reading (much to the dismay of my parents who wish I studied more!!) and I was wondering what you all were reading.

I just read "The Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's very good.

:)

Posted

I recently re-read "Two-Part Invention: The Story of a Marriage" by Madeline L'Engle. Very good book.

Currently I'm reading "Death Comes for the Archbishop" by Willa Cather. A little slow at the start, but my friend promised me it gets good. I'll keep you posted. :book:

Posted

I love to read, but I rarely have time with school and work ans such. Have read some good books though.

The Christian/ Catholic ones:

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis

The Inferno (haven't read Purgatorio or Paradisio) by Dante

St. Augustine's Confessions by St. Augustine

Other onee:

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger (sp?)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by (I forgot, oops) (a young adult read)

The Trial and Death of Socrates by Plato

Ya that's all I can think of now. I know there are a bunch more great books out there but I can't think of them right now.

Posted

Last November I finished Plum Bun, by Jessie Fauset. It was pretty good, it is about a light skin black woman in the Harlem Renaissance who is having an identity crisis based on the social and economic benefits associated with passing for white.

I finished Dead Man Walking in December - a great leason in humility, forgiveness, and Christian charity. amesome book.

Last week I finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; it's pretty much about wigging out on an acid trip; it was sort of wierd and entertaining I guess ;)

Currently I'm reading The 5 People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (the author of Tuesdays with Morry). It's definitly different, but good so far.

I'm also reading Communion and Liberation: A Movement in the Church by Davide Rondoni. I was just interested about what this is so that's why I'm reading it - also good.

Posted

Hi.. Welcome to Phatmass!! :D

Right now, I am reading "Home Comforts" by Cheryl Mendelson and "Personally Speaking" by Msgr. Jim Lisante. They're both great!! I love to read, too, but I no longer have much time for it because I have a three month old boy. Oh, well! It's a fair trade, I guess! ;)

God bless. :)

Posted

I'm reading the Portrait of Dorian Gray, which I read before but apparently don't remember at all.

Also, I just finished God at the Ritz, by Lorenzo Albacete which was great. Funny, deep, and scandalous all at the same time.

I recommend to everyone Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

Oh, and maybe someone can help me choose a book for the book club I just joined. They only do "classics" whatever that means, and for February in honor of Black History Month they want to do a book by an African American Author or that deals with African American themes . . . I want to try to inject a Catholic vision into this book club which is only Mormons right now. Let me know if you have any ideas . . .

Right now I'm gonna recommend either Cry the Beloved Country or Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart . . . any other ideas?

Posted

Currently I'm reading The 5 People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (the author of Tuesdays with Morry). It's definitly different, but good so far.

i :wub: :wub: that book!

Posted

Right now I'm reading Death in Holy Orders by P.D. James so far it is really good!

Other good books are:

Pierced by a sword

Confessions of a parish priest

A Priest forever

and of course the Bible!

Posted

I'm reading the Portrait of Dorian Gray, which I read before but apparently don't remember at all.

Also, I just finished God at the Ritz, by Lorenzo Albacete which was great.  Funny, deep, and scandalous all at the same time.

I recommend to everyone Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

Oh, and maybe someone can help me choose a book for the book club I just joined.  They only do "classics" whatever that means, and for February in honor of Black History Month they want to do a book by an African American Author or that deals with African American themes . . .  I want to try to inject a Catholic vision into this book club which is only Mormons right now.  Let me know if you have any ideas . . .

Right now I'm gonna recommend either Cry the Beloved Country or Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart . . . any other ideas?

The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois; Native Son and Black Boy by Richard Wright are all amesome.

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison is pretty good, but beware if you don't like Toni because this one is pretty intense.

There Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston is great. I read this book like 5 times in high school!!!

ALL BLACK CLASSICS. Good Reading!

Posted

Right now, I'm reading Father Elijah by Michael D. O'Brien

It's good so far.

Posted

I should look for that book at the library "Father Elijah"

*Runs to the library Website*

Posted

Also "A Lesson Before Dying" by Earnest Gaines

"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers

Almost anything by Annie Dillard; I particularly love "An American Childhood" and "Holy the Firm."

Posted

I've rediscovered my love of reading (much to the dismay of my parents who wish I studied more!!) and I was wondering what you all were reading.

I just read "The Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's very good.

:)

WOW! That was an amesome book! Glad to see someone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

Posted

The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois; Native Son and Black Boy by Richard Wright are all amesome.

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison is pretty good, but beware if you don't like Toni because this one is pretty intense.

There Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston is great. I read this book like 5 times in high school!!!

ALL BLACK CLASSICS. Good Reading!

All great books. I'd recommend Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison.

Ahhh. The English major in me. :P

LivinTabernacle
Posted

some other good thinking titles may be 1984 by George Orwell or Brave New World by Huxely. Good thinking books. Also Frankenstien by Mary Shelly and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, good existential author.

Posted

Another good book is House on Mango Street, and Monster by Walter Dean Meyers, or something like that!

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I started reading the Pope's Theology of the Body again after reading BLAZEr's article on the PM main page. I've tried reading it before but always get side tracked before I've read the whole thing even though it's totally incredible and interesting. I'm also reading On The Incarnation by St. Athanasius, father and doctor of the Church. I hope to start reading The Man Who Was Thursday, it's a weird novel by G.K. Chesterton that my older sister gave me for Christmas.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

some other good thinking titles may be 1984 by George Orwell or Brave New World by Huxely. Good thinking books.

Whoa! those books are freaky. They seem to be coming true before our eyes.

Posted

some other good thinking titles may be 1984 by George Orwell or Brave New World by Huxely. Good thinking books. Also Frankenstien by Mary Shelly and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky, good existential author.

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky was pretty much the reason I got my scholarship. Poor Folk is also really deep. You have to check these out too!

For religious reading, I'm plugging one of my Patron Saints; His Last Days is one of the most amesome inspirational books that I have ever read - it's about the death of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati. His sister, still a Frassati, wrote the book.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...