An Old School Catholic Message Board

Unitarianism

-I---Love

Thy Geekdom Come

I think the best way to describe the Unitarian religion is with this smiley: :idontknow:

Unitarianism is like a giant cosmic shrug of non-commital apathy.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1175213' date='Jan 24 2007, 09:20 PM']
The current Unitarian church is a merging of the Unitarian church (emphasizes reason over faith) and the Universalist church (all faiths are equal one).
[/quote]
The Universalist/Unitarian church are religions created by, guess what, the practioners of the mystery religions of Babylon and Egypt.

All faiths are the same, and all should be obeyed is a Luciferian ideal, and is pure Satanism.

All faiths are not the same. Only YHWH is the truth, and to worship YHWH is the most important thing for us to do. Let Buddhists and Hindus and every other religion do their thing, but let the Jew, Muslim, Modalist, Catholic, Protestant, Unitarian, and Arian show forth the praises of YHWH, who called us out into his marvelous light.

So if I am discussing religions and beliefs w/ a Unitarian I can't necessarily make any speculations about his belief system b/c it can be all over the map?

So, in other words I have no prior clue on how to approach the conversation other than they will probably believe that "all religions are equal"?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='-I---Love' post='1178017' date='Jan 27 2007, 06:40 PM']
So if I am discussing religions and beliefs w/ a Unitarian I can't necessarily make any speculations about his belief system b/c it can be all over the map?

So, in other words I have no prior clue on how to approach the conversation other than they will probably believe that "all religions are equal"?
[/quote]

The Unitarian-Universalist Association's web site will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect, but their perspective isn't all that different from most people in our post-modern society. But like with anybody else, you can't know how to approach a conversation until after you've started a conversation. :)

[quote name='Raphael' post='1177164' date='Jan 26 2007, 09:34 PM']
I think the best way to describe the Unitarian religion is with this smiley: :idontknow:

Unitarianism is like a giant cosmic shrug of non-commital apathy.
[/quote]

Nice. Very Nice. So basically they say, All faiths are equal and reason is pride of place. Where is the reason in that?

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1179575' date='Jan 29 2007, 05:57 PM']
Nice. Very Nice. So basically they say, All faiths are equal and reason is pride of place. Where is the reason in that?
[/quote]
The U-U stuff I saw was all about neo-paganism, spell-casting, and other such irrationalism.
While the Unitarians may have began as "rationalists," they have devolved into quite the opposite!

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Socrates' post='1179771' date='Jan 29 2007, 08:59 PM']
The U-U stuff I saw was all about neo-paganism, spell-casting, and other such irrationalism.
While the Unitarians may have began as "rationalists," they have devolved into quite the opposite!
[/quote]

It might depend on what holiday they're recognizing (hesitate to say they truly
"celebrate" any holidays). You would see a lot of spell-casting and stuff on a Wiccan holiday, but when I went they were recognizing Yom Kippur. My cousin, whom I'm not even sure would describe herself as a Unitarian (she isn't a member, just attends) doesn't celebrate any religious holidays at all.

I'm just trying to emphasize that point that, while people of any religion are difficult to generalize accurately, this is even more true of Unitarian-Universalists. It's like asking what type of government countries belonging to the UN have. They tend towards democracy, but there's a lot of variation both on paper and how different governments are effectively administrated. I'd say Unitarians tend toward a belief in the Creator, but that's about as far as I would generalize them.

I asked a unitarian friend if you even had to believe in any god at all. She said you're free to, if you want. It's almost impossible to be a "bad" unitarian. Unless you voted for George W. Bush maybe. Or don't like hummus.

Most of the posts refer to the common usage of "unitarian" which, as pointed out, means "unitarian universalism." It's important though, to know that there is another usage, much less common, referring to a "Christian" sect who aren't Christian because they deny the Trinity. This is the original meaning of the term. There are still significant Unitarian "Christian" groups, especially among Pentecostals.

Edited by beatty07

Yeah, it does seem strange. Some major groups include the Grace Gospel Fellowship, and lots who self-identify as "unitarian Pentecostals."

Not what you'd expect from folks who seem so focused on the Holy Spirit as they understand Him. I guess it makes sense insofar as the Trinity is one of the more difficult doctrines to arrive by a private reading of the New Testament.

• 1 year later...
Chiquitunga

[quote name='beatty07' post='1185324' date='Feb 5 2007, 09:24 AM']I asked a unitarian friend if you even had to believe in any god at all. She said you're free to, if you want. It's almost impossible to be a "bad" unitarian. Unless you voted for George W. Bush maybe. Or don't like hummus.

Most of the posts refer to the common usage of "unitarian" which, as pointed out, means "unitarian universalism." It's important though, to know that there is another usage, much less common, referring to a "Christian" sect who aren't Christian because they deny the Trinity. This is the original meaning of the term. There are still significant Unitarian "Christian" groups, especially among Pentecostals.[/quote]
We were just posting in another thread about Unitarians, so I went searching for any old threads on them. I thought all Unitarians were the "Christian" sect that deny the Trinity. So there's a difference between them and Unitarian Universalists?