An Old School Catholic Message Board

Passion Of Christ Will Cause Violence Against Jews

ironmonk

where I live there is a good chance the passion will contribute to anti-semitism, but on the other hand it shouldn't be about that at all. religiously speaking anti-catholicism is on every channel of the television and anti-catholic movies are so popular lots of catholics are starting to believe in what they teach. anti-catholicism is so popular in the u.s. it's almost a definition of what is means to be an american. if a non-jew dared to insult judaism, not that anyone ever should, that person would lose their job and never be seen again. this should be the standard across the board for all faiths. schinder's list is one of the greatest movies of all time, and the passion of christ should be given the same respect.

PatrickRitaMichael

I read a bit online about the people against the Passion, and part of it is that Jewish people were afraid that because Mel Gibson's dad is anti-Vatican II (and, implied, is that Gibson is, as well), he rejects the Vatican II stuff that says that the Jews as a people were not responsible for Christ's death, but the Jews at the time of Christ's death were. This then would lead people to believe that Mel Gibson would portray the Jews as a whole (not just the Jews-at-the-time) as being responsible for Christ's death and then some fanatical people would try to take things into their own hands and kill the people who killed their God (even though His death is necessary for salvation..). I don't really agree with the logic, but there ya go.

I also read that some people thought that the film would be in Hebrew and would be trying to convert Jewish people over the Christianity (particularly the group Jews for Jesus, for some reason). But, of course, this is wrong b/c the film is not in Hebrew.

I can understand why Jewish people would be scared, though. Anti-Semitism is part anti-religion and part racism. Usually when people dislike Jews, it is that they don't like them as a people, not that they disagree with their religion.

I just hope that when the movie finally comes out, all fears will be laid to rest and everyone can enjoy the beautiful movie.

Gee, funny how when *I* said something [in couched language] about who runs Hollywood, back then, I was roundly denounced as Anti-Semitic.

I guess I was right....

Grin.

THAT dear people was what set me off, the Gibson movie, I have been following this INTENSELY for almost a year now....

Sigh.

Mel couldn't possibly have intended it to make it seem as if the jews were the ones responsible for the death and not EVERYONE ELSE, including himself.

the hands that hammer the nails into Christ in the movie are MEL GIBSON'S HANDS! he clearly knows we're all to blame.

Some jews and other critics claim that the Passion will cause violence and anti-Semitism against Jews.

Some Jews and OTHER CRITICS, you say?

Hmmmm . . . I wouldn't be at all surprised if those other critics came from the ACLU. The ACLU is known for demanding tolerance and yet offering none.

And like Sigga implied, it's amazing how inflammatory remarks about blacks, Jews, Muslims, homosexuals, etc. are condemned but inflammatory remarks about other Christians, Catholics especially, are lauded! But then again, didn't Jesus say we'd be hated because of Him? Really doesn't surprise me one bit.

jrndveritatis

Gibson said tonight on EWTN that in a way, we who know who Christ is are more guilty than the Jews, who didn't know.

So, how exactly does that make him an anti-Semite?

Just wait, the New York Times will enlighten us on that tomorrow.

This movie is gonna be freakin amesome.

• 3 weeks later...

i keep hearing that this film is anti-semitic from people i know who sad that they heard it from somewhere else. What i want to know is what is it that makes people claim this? No one i've asked can give reasons why people claim this. Does anyone know why peoplc make ths claim? I mean, othere than the fact that in the bible the Jews are essentialy who condemned him. Dont peopl realize that if it haddnet happened then we wouldnt be saved? Pople on 'both sides of the tracks' seem to over look this fact.it bothers me when people miss that point. So anyway, can anyone help me? Are people giving any support for their statemtns?

cmotherofpirl

Many liberal theologians are quite upset by the movie. Liberal theologians do not believe the gospels are eyewitmess accounts of Jesus. They believe we really don't know what happened and Mel Gibson is wrong for actually taking the gospels as truth.