Kilroy the Ninja Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 The Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Seventy was a diverse and busy year... The following movies were among those released that year and are some of my favorites from my childhood: Little Big Man - with Dustin Hoffman, a must see! Patton Five Easy Pieces MASH THX1138 - where it all began with George Lucas! Tora! Tora! Tora! Catch 22 Airport Kelly's Heroes - absolutly you must see this! Love Story - ok, not one of my favorites, but worth mentioning A Man Called Horse - again, an excellent film. In literature Deliverance by James Dickey was published as well as I know why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Top music hits included: "I'll Be There" and "ABC" by The Jackson Five "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Diana Ross "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Cecilia" by Simon & Garfunkel "I Think I Love You" by The Partridge Family "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road" by The Beatles "Lola" by The Kinks "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" by B.J. Thomas "War" by Edwin Starr 1970 was the end of the line for many people most notably Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Gypsy Rose Lee, Vince Lombardi and Charles de Gaulle. But, 1970 was also the witness to the births of many of today's movers and shakers such as: Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine Mariah Carey Jennifer Lopez Beck Debbie Gibson Macy Gray Queen Latifah Rick Schroeder Andre Agassi Uma Thurman Naomi Campbell Joseph Fiennes M. Night Shyamalan Malcolm-Jamal Warner Claudia Schiffer Kelly Ripa Matt Damon Events of note in 1970 included: Davy Jones leaving the Monkees (on a side note, my mom dated Peter from the Monkees - he's originally from San Antonio - I couldn't been a mini-Monkee...) The Beatles broke up. The bands Genesis and Styx formed and began performing. Four students at Kent University were killed while protesting about Cambodia. The soap opera "All My Children" premiered. Apollo 13 actually happened. OSHA was introduced. Chanel produced the fragrance Chanel #19 The first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970 Intel produced the 4004, the first microprocessor. On September 11, 1970, Ford Motor Company introduced the Ford Pinto. And last, but certainly not least, I, Kilroy the Ninja, a Friday's child, was born on October 9, 1970. It was a good year.
thicke Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 It was a good year. Of course it was....That's the year I was born! :P
Laudate_Dominum Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 90% of those things don't mean anything to me.. All those years in school and they never taught me my history.
Laudate_Dominum Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 MASH, All My Children, and the breakup of the Beatles make it a worthwhile year anyway.. Great year for TV! ^_^
NewReformation Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 MASH, All My Children, and the breakup of the Beatles make it a worthwhile year anyway.. Great year for TV! ^_^ Ummmm...I don't think any of those qualify as 'great television.'
hyperdulia again Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 Gypsy Rose Lee was a stripper and a devout Catholic.
Lil Red Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 Ummmm...I don't think any of those qualify as 'great television.' M*A*S*H* does! :P
thicke Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 You're old. *runs and hides* If I could just catch my breath, I'd get you for that. :P
Im4Him Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 (edited) M*A*S*H is amesome! Definitely great television. Edited January 22, 2004 by Im4Him
MrsFrozen Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 Now I have "Cecilia" in my head. I love S&G. 1970 was a good year, but the real prize didn't come until 1979, the year I was born! Heheh.. God bless! :)
thicke Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 Oh....Just to clarify. The movie MASH came out in 1970. The TV show started in 1972......And no, I don't remember that! :cool:
Carrie Posted January 22, 2004 Posted January 22, 2004 Don John has rubbed off on you Kilroy That was a neat post!
Kilroy the Ninja Posted January 22, 2004 Author Posted January 22, 2004 I'm not old... you just can't trust me... but you haven't been able to do that for about 3 years now. The seventies were golden years for me. They were the years of innocence and wonder and I remember them fondly. But I swear I'm not old! I'm just overly fond of 80's music...
Thomas Michael Posted January 23, 2004 Posted January 23, 2004 1970 was alright... so I've heard... but the year AFTER that was extra special since that was the year I was born! :D A lot of legendary rock tunes came from 1971, such as The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again", Isaac Hayes' "Shaft", Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" and "Stairway To Heaven", John Lennon's "Imagine" and "Merry Xmas (War Is Over)", Yes's "Your Move" (the one that goes "seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied etc."), aaaand Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Jesus Christ Superstar".
VeraMaria Posted January 24, 2004 Posted January 24, 2004 1970....ahhh...my mom was 10 and i was 18 years away from being born... :rolleyes:
Aloysius Posted January 24, 2004 Posted January 24, 2004 haaaa it has become a tradtion when you get to your 1900's to start postin bout the years!!! :D i wasn't the first to do it... i think it was Paladin or someone who pointed out their birth year. i just did it the best, goin through the 20th century :cool:
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now