An Old School Catholic Message Board

Talking With Postulant Director Today

veritas99

Hi friends,
I haven't really posted for awhile but I thought I would today and ask your prayers. today at 9:30 central time I will talking with my postulant director. It's our first real conversation since I left. I'm really excited to really talk with her about things but I'm also really nervous so if you could say a few prayers I would greatly appreciate that. I still think God is calling me to this community( FSGM) but we shall see. Right now I am jsut focusing on school, I'll graduate in December.

In Christ,
Tracy

Well we chatted briefly because Sr.M.Beata had something come up but we are going to talk more tommarrow at greater length. At least we chatted a bit today and so I am over the nerves. I look forward to talking tomarrow.
thanks for the prayers

[quote name='veritas99' post='1181347' date='Jan 31 2007, 11:48 AM']
Well we chatted briefly because Sr.M.Beata had something come up but we are going to talk more tomorrow at greater length. At least we chatted a bit today and so I am over the nerves. I look forward to talking tomarrow.
thanks for the prayers
[/quote]

Tracy:

I know the feeling! I spoke with one of the sisters involved with formation with the community I had been with. After talking for a bit the nerves do calm down, but its hard making the initial phone call!

Will keep you in prayers!

-- Carmen

[quote name='magnificat' post='1182675' date='Feb 1 2007, 09:36 PM']
How did it go Tracy?
[/quote]

It went pretty well. It was great to talk and catch up a bit and find out what's going on down there. On an interesting note as we were talking Sister said manybe this isn't where God isc alling me because the spirit of the community doesn't quite match up with what makes me tick. I don't remember how she worded it. We are still going to keep in touch nadI just need to be open to whatever God wants. She said this b ecause we were discussing my classes and I just got so excited about what I'm learning and about theology and philosophy especially about St.Thomas Aquinas and my medieval phil class. She said she;s seeing more and more that theology and phiosophy makes me tick and gets me really excited and I love sharing and talking about what I'm learning and that just doesn't quite fit with their franciscan community. I replied with their are Franciscans that a re intellectuals and thenI went in this tangent about Scotus and Ockham who were Franciscan. Anyways she suggested maybe looking at the Dominincan's again or an order that has more study in their life.
So that's where things are at right now

Well, I can see how that might be disappointing. but, do keep at it. Sometimes when God closes a door He opens a window. Oh, and have you heard of the Benedictines? ;-)

[quote name='Staretz' post='1185478' date='Feb 5 2007, 01:29 PM']
Well, I can see how that might be disappointing. but, do keep at it. Sometimes when God closes a door He opens a window. Oh, and have you heard of the Benedictines? ;-)
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Have you heard of the Benedictine community in Florida that is near Ave Maria University? They are an emerging community that is monastic but also involved with a teaching apostolate I believe at the college level? If I find their website I will post it.
God bless!

[url="http://www.queenofpeace.info"]Queen of Peace Monastery[/url]

Another community to consider, if you feel very strongly pulled to Franciscan spirituality, are the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist. They have many sisters involved in academic pursuits in the USA and Italy. They also have a website which has been featured in VS not too long ago. :saint:

the lords sheep

There's also the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word that jenny (jgirl) and betsy (lillabettt) entered last summer. They are mainly Franciscan in charism, but they have a strong Dominican thrust. (They say their two spiritual fathers are St. Francis and St. Dominic) They do a lot of study and get some sort of catechism degree. I know that Sr. Jenny originally thought she was called to the FSGM Sisters, but she really fell in love with the SSEW Sisters when she visited. If you want to look into them, here is their website: [url="http://www.sisterservants.com/"]Sister Servants of the Eternal Word[/url]
You'll be in my prayers!
Pace e Bene,
Lauren

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1185710' date='Feb 5 2007, 07:11 PM']
There's also the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word that jenny (jgirl) and betsy (lillabettt) entered last summer. They are mainly Franciscan in charism, but they have a strong Dominican thrust. (They say their two spiritual fathers are St. Francis and St. Dominic) They do a lot of study and get some sort of catechism degree. I know that Sr. Jenny originally thought she was called to the FSGM Sisters, but she really fell in love with the SSEW Sisters when she visited. If you want to look into them, here is their website: [url="http://www.sisterservants.com/"]Sister Servants of the Eternal Word[/url]
You'll be in my prayers!
Pace e Bene,
Lauren
[/quote]

Yeah couple people have mentioned SSEW, like my postulant director. She thinks I have more of a bend towards the Dominicans that I let on but still can kind of see the Franciscan thing. So we shall see. Lots of praying to as always, for the Lord's will. I meet with my spiritual director next week so I'll see what he has to say. For now I am just focusing on my studies. I am taking Christian Morality, Theological Methods and Resources, Letters of St.Paul, Medieval Philosophy and Readings from Aquinas. In the Readings from Aquinas class we are spending the whole semester on Hope and Fortitude. sO that's kind of where things are at

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1185710' date='Feb 5 2007, 08:11 PM']
You'll be in my prayers!
Pace e Bene,
Lauren
[/quote]

I'll suggest them too ... its a good mix; and if your theology studies (etc.) get you excited then it makes sense looking at Dominican communities.

Besides ... St. Francis and St. Dominic have a number of things in common, I don't remember what though (bad memory).

I think they're quite a good order (wasn't for me, but they are wonderful sisters).

-- Carmen