An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Fate Of Limbo

Aloysius

so... I remember a big lead up about how the pope was going to do away with limbo... and then I remember reading with a sigh of releif that the pope had left limbo in limbo; not making any statement at all.

What ever became of that? A commission recommended the pope say limbo should no longer be taught at all; did the pope decide to ignore it?

All the theology-major-campus-ministry-types at my college think that limbo went the way of Pluto... but I'm not so sure. what ever happened to this?

If the pope really did just ignore the commission's recommendation and go on without saying a word about it; I'm inclined to personally believe the Holy Ghost had His Hand in that.

• 2 months later...
Fides_et_Ratio

Not officially. I think previously as Ratzinger he had made certain statements that led others to conclude he would take the comission's recommendation. But officially, to my knowledge, the Pope never made any statement, thankfully.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Is this like all those other stories? The married/condom/AIDS document, the universal indult, and the no altar girls thing? I wonder why the speculation is so consistently wrong.

I read that Pope St. Pius X supported limbo. This is from Wikipedia:

[quote]Pius X also confirmed the existence of Limbo in Roman Catholic theology in his 1905 Catechism, saying that the unbaptized "do not have the joy of God but neither do they suffer... they do not deserve Paradise, but neither do they deserve Hell or Purgatory."[/quote]