An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypothetical Election

kujo

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey ya'll. This stems from a debate we're having elsewhere on this Phorum. What would you do in this circumstance? I recognize that you could always vote for a third candidate, but seeing as how we're still a full year and a half out from this scenario taking place, there are no legitimate third party candidates out there at this time. Explain your beliefs.

Edited by kujo

These options remind me of the end of the Simpson's episode where the aliens inhabit the bodies of Bob Dole and Bill Clinton and Homer exposes them. The suggestion is made that they could vote for a third candidate... but of course nobody wants to throw their vote away by voting for a third party candidate so they end up voting for one of the aliens and being enslaved.

the more lives you can save, the better. At least, that's how I argue it. It's not necessarily correct, but that's how I see politics being different than religion.

I'm not interested enough in politics to vote for a candidate who is not pro-life. To get my vote, it is very simple: be pro-life. If there is no suitably pro-life candidate, I will go to the polls and write on the ballot "vote withheld due to there being no pro-life candidate." This sends a clear message to political parties, and if enough people did it, you can bet that they would take it seriously.

Being pro-life or pro-death is not an adherence to one side of one particular issue; it defines the fundamental essence of a candidate, and very often what his/her positions on all other issues will be. Protecting innocent life from conception to natural death is the cornerstone of being a public servant, the absolute most important characteristic. Anyone who fails to protect life, or fails to understand the gravity of the situation, does nit deserve my vote or yours.

Edited by Nathan

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1191169' date='Feb 10 2007, 11:17 PM']
you left out third party candidates.
[/quote]

I said vote for another candidate didn't I?

goldenchild17

I wouldn't vote at all (or pick a 3rd candidate if there was one who fit the bill), pending an answer to my post here [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=63249"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=63249[/url]

Edited by goldenchild17

It would depend on the other views of the candidates running. Most likely though, I would vote for a third party candidate whose views I agreed with most.

I think it comes down to this. Alot of the pro-lifers are split between voting for third-party candidates so as to give the message that we want a pro-life candidate and voting for the candidate who is [i]mostly[/i] pro-life so that the pro-abortion candidate doesnt go into office.

Proud2BCatholic139

As Catholics, we are obligated to be pro-life. Why vote for a candidate who is pro-choice? Hypocrisy. I shall not vote if it boiled down to that situation.