An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saints?

iggyjoan

hey guys, I'm new here, but I need serious help.
I'm getting confirmed this year, but i need a saint name. previously I was going to take the names of two saints, (unusual, i know) Ignatius of Loyola and Joan of Arc(thus my name, iggyjoan) but I thought and prayed about it, and it didn't seem right. but i love the name iggyjoan so it stuck. Do you have any suggestions? i was thinking about Blaise, even though I'm a girl. I was also thinking about Catherine of Sienna (probably not though) or just Joan of Arc, but nothing seems to fit.

I want someone who is a little bit more than just a little bit like me, if that makes any sense. I like music, sports (especially collage football [GO IRISH]) and honesty is the most important quality in others to me. please please please help me find someone! I don't know if i need to post more information about myself or not, but please help me as best you can!

thanks SO much!

iggy ^_^

Thy Geekdom Come

I'm going to move this to the Open Mic section so you can get a broader range of ideas.

Personally, if you want a good, youthful saint who liked sports and honesty, I'd try Blessed Pierre Giorgio Frassati...he loved athletics and tried especially to live out the beatitudes. He's a very popular saint right now...his sister wrote his biography (she lived past his canonization and might still be alive...he's a very new saint).

St Josemaria Escrive - not young but was devoted to the church and the concept of people doing 'The Lord's Work' in their every day activities. Founder of Opus Dei and definitely someone who would bless you

[quote name='iggyjoan' post='1195465' date='Feb 14 2007, 08:49 PM']
hey guys, I'm new here, but I need serious help.
I'm getting confirmed this year, but i need a saint name. previously I was going to take the names of two saints, (unusual, i know) Ignatius of Loyola and Joan of Arc(thus my name, iggyjoan) but I thought and prayed about it, and it didn't seem right. but i love the name iggyjoan so it stuck. Do you have any suggestions? i was thinking about Blaise, even though I'm a girl. I was also thinking about Catherine of Sienna (probably not though) or just Joan of Arc, but nothing seems to fit.

I want someone who is a little bit more than just a little bit like me, if that makes any sense. I like music, sports (especially collage football [GO IRISH]) and honesty is the most important quality in others to me. please please please help me find someone! I don't know if i need to post more information about myself or not, but please help me as best you can!

thanks SO much!

iggy ^_^
[/quote]

St. Cecilia is a good patron saint for you if you like music.

The best thing I can tell you to do is just pray about it. I thought I really wanted St. Barbera, but then I wasn't sure. So I prayed about it one night and the next day I read about Pope St. Leo and knew that I wanted him as my Saint. I mean, I KNEW it. There was no question in my mind. My CCD teacher didn't know what to do when I asked him if I could use a guy's name. Anyway, just pray about it and I'm sure it'll come to you.

[quote name='Rod' post='1196007' date='Feb 15 2007, 01:53 PM']St Josemaria Escrive - not young but was devoted to the church and the concept of people doing 'The Lord's Work' in their every day activities. Founder of Opus Dei and definitely someone who would bless you[/quote]

that sounds cool i'll have to check them out. thanks for all the help you guys!

Edited by iggyjoan

[quote name='prose' post='1196125' date='Feb 15 2007, 03:04 PM']What is your first name? Are there any saints with that name? Maybe one of them will "fit"?[/quote]

my first name is sam. well actually samantha, but everyoen calls me sam.

maybe if you picked out a saint that would make your initials into a word. For example: my mom's initials spell out the word ears.

Edited by Old_Joe

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1202880' date='Feb 22 2007, 11:10 PM']maybe if you picked out a saint that would make your initials into a word. For example: my mom's initials spell out the word ears.[/quote]

lol well my intitials are srq... so i dont know how that would work out... surq.. sarq... serq...sorq..sirq...

[quote name='iggyjoan' post='1205991' date='Feb 28 2007, 07:39 PM']lol well my intitials are srq... so i dont know how that would work out... surq.. sarq... serq...sorq..sirq...[/quote]

actually, I think it would go after the 'r' I guess that would make it worse.