An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal George...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I met Cardinal George tonight. I also had dinner with Bishop Sartain followed by Mass said by both of them and like 20 priests at St. Vincent de Paul parish (De Paul campus parish). It was pretty neat, although the musical selection was via Haugen & Haas (it was for college students), but I dealt with it. I also met some sisters (they dress in laymen's clothing though, but they were very cool nonetheless!) and they kinda introduced us to the Cardinal and took pictures with him (which I should have in a few days).
I was also introduced to Bishop Sartain as a spy from the Rockford Diocese. :rolleyes:
It was a good night and I met a few seminarians from St. Joseph's(?).
I do have to say though, Cardinal George is a heck of a lot shorter than I thought he was.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1196752' date='Feb 16 2007, 12:58 AM']
+JMJ

I met Cardinal George tonight. I also had dinner with Bishop Sartain followed by Mass said by both of them and like 20 priests at St. Vincent de Paul parish (De Paul campus parish). It was pretty neat, although the musical selection was via Haugen & Haas (it was for college students), but I dealt with it. I also met some sisters (they dress in laymen's clothing though, but they were very cool nonetheless!) and they kinda introduced us to the Cardinal and took pictures with him (which I should have in a few days).
I was also introduced to Bishop Sartain as a spy from the Rockford Diocese. :rolleyes:
I do have to say though, Cardinal George is a heck of a lot shorter than I thought he was.
[/quote]

That's so cool! By any chance did you kiss the Cardinal or the Bishop's ring? I always thought that would be a cool thing to do, but on the few occasions when I have met bishops I always chicken out :blush:

The first time I remember seeing Cardinal George I was surprised to see him limp, I didn't realize he had polio as a child.

I will always hold a warm spot for him in my heart. He happened to visiting the hospital my friend was at on Christmas. My friend was dying and Cardinal George stopped to pray with the family, and he (well, his office) arranged to have another priest come and do all the proper prayers and sacraments.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I didn't get to kiss any rings... never shook nor was offered their hand...
I kinda met my bishop (Bishop Doran, he was ill last time I heard which was like a month or two ago) at confirmation. It was pretty cool though :) I was wondering why Cardinal and Bishop were wearing red vestments though. It was cool with the violet and red zuchettos :D:
By the time I met the Cardinal, he was trying to work his way out to leave and the introduction was brief.

littleflower+JMJ

My diocese is pretty small compared to most and its always been a normal sight to see the Bishop, either by attending the Cathedral mass or when he makes he's parish visits (he visits a different parish most of the weekends in the year throughout the diocese). He always makes time afterwards to meet with the people. Their pretty busy people! And awesome of course! I can imagine it would be harder in a bigger diocese but its so worth seeing Bishops talk or make an appearance somewhere.... :clap:

Bishop Doran fortunately is recovering from his surgery well, but won't be traveling to do the confirmations this year.

At both the Toronto and the Colgne WYDs my group got to talk to Cardinal George. I didnt get to speak to him in Germany though cuz I was checkin out a different church at the time, but supposedly they were just walkin along near the Cologne cathedral and they just spotted him and called him over. They got some pretty cool pics too.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1196758' date='Feb 16 2007, 12:18 AM']
When I was confirmed I got to meet my Bishop, it was cool.
[/quote]
I have vague memories of that moment unfortunately. The Church was not the biggest fish on my plate in 7th grade.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Didymus' post='1196798' date='Feb 16 2007, 12:54 AM']Bishop Doran fortunately is recovering from his surgery well, but won't be traveling to do the confirmations this year.[/quote]
That is good to hear. What was the matter? I never really was able to find out (he just showed up in the petitions at Sunday Mass a while back). The Diocesan paper is not good with keeping internet archives of articles and I was unable to find anything else.

Nevermind, I found some local paper's with archives :)

It's really neat that you got to talk with Cardinal George. I would have liked to have chatted some, but I wouldn't know what to talk about (well, now I do after the fact...). I bet it was pretty neat though. ^_^

I met Cardinal O'Malley, and I was in the same room with Cardinal Law (he gave a talk on Vocations when I visited the Seminary).

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1196752' date='Feb 16 2007, 12:58 AM']+JMJ

I do have to say though, Cardinal George is a heck of a lot shorter than I thought he was.[/quote]
I was there too, which guys from St. Joe's did you meet? I go to school there.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='khouse' post='1197286' date='Feb 16 2007, 07:47 PM']I was there too, which guys from St. Joe's did you meet? I go to school there.[/quote]
I want to say Luke... but I cannot really recall his name... he was very friendly and on the tall side (I'm 5'3") and had blonde hair... And I think he was actually the only one... :D:
That is pretty neat that you were there too :)
Did you come to the 'after-party'?