An Old School Catholic Message Board

Zionism

Nathan

What is the Church's view on Zionism?

I have heard some bishops and cardinals openly condemn "Christian Zionism" -- generally evangelical Protestants who blindly support the actions of the State of Israel based on some loopy interpretations from the Book of Revelation -- but I am referring specifically to authentic secular Zionism. Has the Holy See ever made any official statements on this ideological movement and its material fruits in the Middle East? (Quite a lot that is going on in the world today seems to ride on this, so I only hope that the Vatican has been taking notes.)

Thx,

Nathan

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[b][quote]"We are unable to favor this [Zionist]movement. We cannot prevent the Jews from going to Jerusalem, but we could never sanction it. The ground of Jerusalem, if it were not always sacred, has been sanctified by the life of Jesus Christ. As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise. The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore, we cannot recognize the Jewish people.... If you come to Palestine and settle your people there, we will be ready with priests and churches to baptize all of you"[/quote][/b]. --Pope St. Pius X (1903- 1914) to Theodore Herzl

[quote name='Nathan' post='1200072' date='Feb 18 2007, 11:01 PM']Awesome quote![/quote]

i actually had it saved in the my controls section for almost a year, just for a question like this.

Now unfortunately, many cardinals are Pro-zionism. My Archbishop makes a habit of attending zionist conferences in the area. Other cardinals do similar things:

[quote]Cardinal Schoenborn... says European Christians' support for Israel is not based on Holocaust guilt and Christians should affirm Zionism as biblical... He also said Pope John Paul II had himself declared the biblical commandment for Jews to live in Israel an everlasting covenant that remained valid today.[/quote]

this is obviously not true. It would be a sad day for me if I found out John Paul II actually said something like this. :(