An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lent

DiscerningSoul

DiscerningSoul

There were a few of us in the chat last night and one of theings I am going to do for lent is wear my chapel veil to Mass in addition to wearing it at Adoration. :saint: :turban: :saint:

Of course I won't eat meat on Fridays, but I will also eat things that are bland like grits or non-flavored yogart and such.

So I was wondering what you are doing for Lent? :idontknow:

Jessica
[url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul[/url]
:bigpray: :bigpray: :bigpray: :bigpray: :bigpray:

VeniteAdoremus

I ordered a couple of headscarves and I'll be wearing them on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays (I just hope they arrive in time for Ash Wednesday!). Fasting in ways of food is hard, because I'm a vegetarian, poor student (spaghetti with ketchup, anyone?) and don't eat much candy to begin with, but I'll drop the candy and fast the "old way": that is, only bread, water, juice, nuts, and honey (probably no honey until my monthly bursury has paid out, though ;)) on Wednesdays and Fridays. Except that on Friday evening I always have dinner with one of my parents, and they don't observe. So I have to think of something for that (probably ask them to cook simply).

But that's only superficial stuff. I'll have a much harder time with not picking fights and acting responsibly...

AlterDominicus

Well, this one might be a little "big" and not simple, but I sometimes have a habit of badly judging people, not out loud though, like in my thoughts, then I might say something, so I am going to be triple thinking before I speak about someone or anyone. :lol:

Hmm... why do you want to use headscarves of veils? I usually abstain from having sweets or candy or from internet but since I really need internet for work, I cannot do that this year. I was thinking about something new but am not sure about it yet. Usually I try to abstain from having something I like. This year, I want to make an effort in doing this I usually don't like and I'll try to do them without grumbling... it is quite of an impossible mission to me but I'll try.

Daily readings from Vatican II documents or the CCC.

Daily Mass

A special intention.

Attending a weekly Lenten series at a parish.

Giving up junk food and chocolate.

Edited by SisterAli

well, there's some besetting sins that I would like to have final victory over. This Lent is as good a time as any. Ive done it before hundreds of times :(

[quote name='Staretz' post='1200359' date='Feb 19 2007, 05:52 PM']well, there's some besetting sins that I would like to have final victory over. This Lent is as good a time as any. Ive done it before hundreds of times :([/quote]

Me too. So let's keep each other in prayer. Maybe we can help one another. ;)

AlterDominicus

Its a new exp for me really - I partook a couple times before I got baptized and confirmed last year, but never really kept it, and now I am spending the first week of lent at SMME for the retreat, this shall be interesting!

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1200398' date='Feb 19 2007, 12:58 PM']I'm giving up blogs, forums (including phatmass :(), and AIM... they all take up far too much of my time[/quote] me too, bye to all for now, :bye:

Well since I'll be in the convent this year for lent, I'll follow what the sisters do, but I am going to try to give up sweets (only eat them of course if I'm asked to like if we have extras) and as I always do every lent I look at my faults very deeply and then see one i"m struggling with the most and try to work on that, for instance in the past I would work on cursing or complaining etc and normally in the past if I'd commit that particular fault I'd put 25 cents in a jar for each time and then donate it at the end of lent to the poor, and it was neat to see as the days went on I'd become more aware and work on overcoming my fault and commit it less and less and both I and the poor was helped through that, but since I can't donate money anymore, I'm going to pray a hail mary for the poor for each time I commit whatever fault it is I'm gonna work on (still praying about it)

God Bless you!

Hey Sis, you just gave me the answer to my prayers, that's what I'm gonna work on is "judging" others I too struggle with that in my thoughts, and each time I misjudge someone I'm offering up a hail mary for them and the poor! Thanks!! :love:

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1200316' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:54 AM']Well, this one might be a little "big" and not simple, but I sometimes have a habit of badly judging people, not out loud though, like in my thoughts, then I might say something, so I am going to be triple thinking before I speak about someone or anyone. :lol:[/quote]