An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thought On Marriage

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

For a long time, I didn't know if I would marry, stay single, or what, and often, I didn't feel up to snuff for marriage. That is the wrong way of looking at things. Don't pursue a life of celibacy because you don't feel good enough for marriage. Find a wife if you don't feel good enough for celibacy. Marriage is for people who aren't tough enough to make through life by themselves, and the whole process is like boot camp for us, to get ready for Heaven in ways celibates were long ago.

Don't look at celibacy as plan B. Think realistically about what you can handle. If you can make it through life with only God to guide and protect you, you probably should. The rest of us need somebody to beat the crazy out of us.

This is just my humble opinion.

Edited by theculturewarrior

Birgitta Noel

Hi TCW! Welcome back! I think of you often! How have you been?!

Now, I have to humbly disagree with your statement that marriage is for people who aren't tough enough to get through life alone. IMHO I'd argue that it's easier to stay celibate and single. You don't have to live for another person (other than Christ of course). Your time is all yours to discern what would be the most desirable things with which to fill it. Your responsibility is to yourself and Christ. :idontknow: I'm confused as to why you made this statement and am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Edited by The Little Way

AccountDeleted

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1200711' date='Feb 19 2007, 03:42 PM']The rest of us need somebody to beat the crazy out of us.

This is just my humble opinion.[/quote]

If that is your opinion of marriage, then yes, perhaps you should stay celibate. My brother and his wife have been married for 30 years and still adore each other. No one "beats" anyone else, and their 2 children are glad of that! A couple that live in love of God and raise loving children are just as holy in God's eyes as religious men and women. Christ loved little children, and made marriage a sacrament so that men and women could consecrate themselves to each other in Christ.

Married life and religious life are both vocations and should be treated with the utmost respect. One in every two marriages now ends in divorce. To be able to stay married is a holy grace, just as final profession is!

[quote name='nunsense' post='1201027' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:55 PM']Married life and religious life are both vocations and should be treated with the utmost respect. One in every two marriages now ends in divorce. To be able to stay married is a holy grace, just as final profession is![/quote]

I agree with what "nunsense" has said. Marriage is tough, it certainly cannot be lasting without God and His grace, the spouses must strive everyday to grow closer to one another and to unite together with God. Constantly growing respect for one another and love. Neither single, married, nor religious life are second choice or a plan B, there are to be taken very seriously with much time, respect, prayer, and trust in the Lord. For it is not your decision, it is not up to you, God has already decided, you have to follow His will. A spouse is not there only to aid you in life or to get you through it, it is a dedication and sacrifice to and for one another. God Bless.

Edited by uruviel

I'm going to give the testimony of St. Mohreal that my daughter Naila was named after [it's her middle name]. St. Mohreal's mother desired so much to be a nun but she is quoted as saying "it wasn't God's will" and through St. Mohreal great miracles came and the blessing was far greater! I, myself, have often desired to be a monk/priest but that wasn't God's will, that which was given to me [my wife], was given through a miracle, nothing less. My wife needed me greatly, to take care of her and therefore the Priesthood/Monastic lifestyle wasn't right for me.

Reza

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1200711' date='Feb 19 2007, 05:42 PM']For a long time, I didn't know if I would marry, stay single, or what, and often, I didn't feel up to snuff for marriage. That is the wrong way of looking at things. Don't pursue a life of celibacy because you don't feel good enough for marriage. Find a wife if you don't feel good enough for celibacy. Marriage is for people who aren't tough enough to make through life by themselves, and the whole process is like boot camp for us, to get ready for Heaven in ways celibates were long ago.

Don't look at celibacy as plan B. Think realistically about what you can handle. If you can make it through life with only God to guide and protect you, you probably should. The rest of us need somebody to beat the crazy out of us.

This is just my humble opinion.[/quote]

It's not just "your humble opinion" - it's what the Bible says! And the ability to handle celibacy is indeed a MAJOR part of discernment for seminarians.

Nunsense, LittleWay, and uruviel, instead of criticizing TCW, you should LISTEN to the experience of seminarians and LEARN from them. TCW is a male, and I imagine you are all female, so please do not make judgments on male discernment. Leave it to us fellow males; we can relate better.

And uruviel, please cite your official source that states that "God already has decided". In the Cathechism, there is a part that states that WE are free to decide our state of life and choice of spouses.

Edited by Norseman82

theculturewarrior

Alright, I definitely defer to the expertise of the above posters, except the statement that I should remain celibate, and that man does not benefit from a good beating or two.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1200955' date='Feb 19 2007, 08:33 PM']Hi TCW! Welcome back! I think of you often! How have you been?!

Now, I have to humbly disagree with your statement that marriage is for people who aren't tough enough to get through life alone. IMHO I'd argue that it's easier to stay celibate and single. You don't have to live for another person (other than Christ of course). Your time is all yours to discern what would be the most desirable things with which to fill it. Your responsibility is to yourself and Christ. :idontknow: I'm confused as to why you made this statement and am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts.[/quote]

Waking up everyday alone for the rest of my life seems much more difficult than the companionship of a woman. I know how tough marriages are, but getting through life without your family to back you seems much, much tougher.

"Blessed is the man who has his quiver filled with these arrows."

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1201194' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:44 AM']It's not just "your humble opinion" - it's what the Bible says! And the ability to handle celibacy is indeed a MAJOR part of discernment for seminarians.

Nunsense, LittleWay, and uruviel, instead of criticizing TCW, you should LISTEN to the experience of seminarians and LEARN from them. TCW is a male, and I imagine you are all female, so please do not make judgments on male discernment. Leave it to us fellow males; we can relate better.

And uruviel, please cite your official source that states that "God already has decided". In the Cathechism, there is a part that states that WE are free to decide our state of life and choice of spouses.[/quote]

I was right? Wow, I had no idea! :P:

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1201202' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:55 AM']I was right? Wow, I had no idea! :P:[/quote]

Well, except the beating part (I assume you are joking, but if not, next time you're in Chicago and still feel the need, we'll hit the gym on open spar night).

Still looking to get the motorcycle?

Edited by Norseman82

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1201210' date='Feb 20 2007, 01:05 AM']Well, except the beating part (I assume you are joking, but if not, next time you're in Chicago and still feel the need, we'll hit the gym on open spar night).

Still looking to get the motorcycle?[/quote]

Yes, I was kidding. Well, speaking figuratively, really. Motorcycles and shotguns belong to that category of crazy that has been beaten out of me. :P:

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1201216' date='Feb 20 2007, 01:11 AM']Yes, I was kidding. Well, speaking figuratively, really. Motorcycles and shotguns belong to that category of crazy that has been beaten out of me. :P:[/quote]

And I was looking forward to a ride to a range to fire off a few!

Edited by Norseman82

theculturewarrior

She was okay with the motorcycle until I brought the shotgun into it. Riding a motorcycle without a shotgun is like eating popcorn with no butter. :P:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1201194' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:44 PM']It's not just "your humble opinion" - it's what the Bible says! And the ability to handle celibacy is indeed a MAJOR part of discernment for seminarians.

And uruviel, please cite your official source that states that "God already has decided". In the Cathechism, there is a part that states that WE are free to decide our state of life and choice of spouses.[/quote]

Actually, I just re-read his original post and I think I misunderstood it. He isn't criticizing marriage, which I thought, he is just saying that to be able to dedicate to God is hard, and if he can do that, then he should.

We need more priests - go for it! We already have enough husbands out there - lol!

Edited by nunsense

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1201194' date='Feb 20 2007, 12:44 AM']It's not just "your humble opinion" - it's what the Bible says! And the ability to handle celibacy is indeed a MAJOR part of discernment for seminarians.

WOW that was more than a little harsh.

If you reread my post you'll see I wasn't talking AT ALL about seminarians or priests. I specifically said SINGLE and celibate! I wasn't criticizing him, I was asking for more clarification on his thoughts and offering my humble opinion.

Perhaps you should READ what I really posted and practice some charity next time you reply. I didn't make ANY judgment on TCW, I was sharing MY opinion. And I was really looking forward to hearing more of his thoughts on the matter.