An Old School Catholic Message Board

Refuting This Specific Comment:

the_rev

I'm debating which letter to the editor I want to write in our Diocese Catholic Newspaper, on Celibacy or on the right to life and the Catholic stance. This one guy writes in the letters from our readers

[quote]"One final comment I stornly share Fr. Cozzen's objection to "mandated celibacy that is forced celibacy" Priesthood and celibacy are not identical. They are two distinct and spereate realities. Celibacy was never imposed by Jesus our High Priest nor was it practiced by our Catholic Church. Celibacy is a gift, a divine gift, a charism. Only centuries later, after much violence and many economic issues did mother churhc through the hierarchy force celibacy on it's priests. It is my humble and honest opinion Imposting Mandated celibacy is sinful"[/quote]

How would one refute this statement?

the phrase "imposing mandated celibacy on priests" assumes that the men are already priests. you can't impose something on someone who does not exist. what the Roman Church did was make celibacy an aspect of the vocation to the priesthood. she made choosing the ministerial priesthood and choosing celibacy one and the same. if you are not called to celibacy, you are not called to the roman priesthood. it's as simple as that. nobody is forced into celibacy; because ultimately everyone has a choice.

[quote name='the_rev' post='1202909' date='Feb 22 2007, 11:03 PM']I'm debating which letter to the editor I want to write in our Diocese Catholic Newspaper, on Celibacy or on the right to life and the Catholic stance. This one guy writes in the letters from our readers
How would one refute this statement?[/quote]

First start with where you agree with him. Celibacy and the priesthood are not the same and require separate discernments. One should discern before he or she discerns the priesthood whether he or she is going to be celibate or married. This does not mean the preisthood is the result for the males. They must then discern whether or not they are going to be priests or live out their celibacy in different ways. Celibacy is not imposed on anyone. Noone is forced to be celibate. Jesus most definitely encouraged celibacy in Matt 19 and Paul in 1 Cor 7. Now the Popes have said that priests in the Latin Rite (not the eastern rites) will be celibate. Matt 16:18 says "WHATEVER (not just faith and morals) you bind on earth will be bound in heaven". The Holy Spirit cannot bind a sin and so it would seem that his logic is biblically off.