An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pronouns Referring To The Bvm

Resurrexi

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1204604' date='Feb 25 2007, 06:42 PM']No.
Why not just spell it out?[/quote]

Becuase it takes more to time to write "The Blessed Virgin Mary is Mother of God and we worship the Blessed Virgin Mary with hyperdulia" than "The Blessed Virgin Mary is Mother of God and we worship Her/her with hyperdulia".

BTW, if someone doesn't know what pronouns, some examples are: I, my, me, myself, thou, thy, thee, thyself, he, she, it, his, her, its, him, her, it, himself, herself, itself, we, our, us, ourself/ves, ye, your, you, yourselves, they, their, them, themselves, this and that.

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1204644' date='Feb 25 2007, 10:29 PM']I'm pretty sure most of us know what pronouns are. <_<[/quote]They're the opposite of connouns, right? :)

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1204656' date='Feb 25 2007, 08:48 PM']I'm interested to see what the Church says on this.[/quote]

I've seen a few Catholic books that have the pronouns for the BVM capitalized, but most don't.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

We should only capitalize pronouns for God if you ask me. I would imagine this is the Church's practice in her official documents. I often see things where pronouns for God are not capitalized.

Edited by thedude

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1204747' date='Feb 26 2007, 08:26 AM']i just checked True Devotion to Mary

none of her pronouns are capitalized[/quote]

that could also be a translation thing too, no? I agree that they're not to be capitalized, but the True Devotion that we read today is (I thought) translated to english.

sweet avatar by the way :cool:

If I saw "She" I would think it was referring to the Church.

Now...

as for the language.

Do you talk like that in real life?? I mean the "I know not" thing... :hehe: :crazy:

MissScripture

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1204634' date='Feb 25 2007, 09:08 PM']Becuase it takes more to time to write "The Blessed Virgin Mary is Mother of God and we worship the Blessed Virgin Mary with hyperdulia" than "The Blessed Virgin Mary is Mother of God and we worship Her/her with hyperdulia".

BTW, if someone doesn't know what pronouns, some examples are: I, my, me, myself, thou, thy, thee, thyself, he, she, it, his, her, its, him, her, it, himself, herself, itself, we, our, us, ourself/ves, ye, your, you, yourselves, they, their, them, themselves, this and that.[/quote]
A) I'm not sure that's what she meant you should spell out, but I could be mistaken.
B) Once you have established that it is, in fact, "The Blessed Virgin Mary" that you are talking about, you can just refer to her as Mary, totally eliminating the need for the pronoun, if it's that much of a problem.