An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christ's Baptism

DAF

I checked the defense directory, but couldn't find anything; can somebody describe for me in excruciating detail the purpose for and effects of Christ's baptism? Were the Apostles baptized (I'm assuming so, how can this be verified, or at least backed up, reasoned or understood)? What are some of the normal questions to be asked, and what are the answers? That sort of thing. Thanks mucho mucho!

Edited by DAF

Christ's baptism was done symbolically that he must become more like man, but there was no sacrament since Baptism had yet to be established. (That's all I got from a Fr. Benedict Grosheal luminous mystery reflection)

[quote name='the_rev' post='1205649' date='Feb 27 2007, 10:33 PM']Christ's baptism was done symbolically that he must become more like man, but there was no sacrament since Baptism had yet to be established. (That's all I got from a Fr. Benedict Grosheal luminous mystery reflection)[/quote]

yeah....pretty much the equivalent of baptism was circumcision....right? but his Baptism was a manifestation that we celebrate at Epiphany....it reveals his Divinity "This is my Son with whom I am well pleased...listen to him"....and so it's purpose was to reveal his Divinity and to begin his public ministry....

correct me if im wrong :)....

It can't hurt to start with St. Thomas Aquinas:

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4039.htm#1"]http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4039.htm#1[/url]

I was struck by his quotes of Sts. Ambrose and Chrysostom:[quote]...as Ambrose says on Lk. 3:21: "Our Lord was baptized because He wished, not to be cleansed, but to cleanse the waters, that, being purified by the flesh of Christ that knew no sin, they might have the virtue of baptism"; and, as Chrysostom says (Hom. iv in Matth.), "that He might bequeath the sanctified waters to those who were to be baptized afterwards."[/quote]