An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pet Ideas.

prose

I want a pet. Well, more precisely, my 3 1/2 yr old wants a pet.

I have in the pasted owned:

ferrets
chinchilla
hamsters
rabbits
degu
dogs
hedgehog

Umm.. I think that may be it.

Okay, now, I want a pet that she can hold and pet. That is not high maintenance. That is not a dog. I have allergies, so it can't be too furry...

what else.

Oh yeah. rats are illegal in my province, so don't even suggest that. :)

Any ideas?

I am thinking about guinea pigs, but I don't know anyone who owns any. If you do, I have some questions.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='prose' post='1206359' date='Mar 1 2007, 04:19 PM']Do none of you have pets?!?![/quote]
I have an Irish Setter. If your daughter is 60 feet tall and 3,000 pounds, that might be a good option for a pet she can hold in her hand. :idontknow:

cmotherofpirl

I would not recommend any small pets for a 3 1/2 year old, they are too easily accidently killed by too much loving. Get some fish.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1206386' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:22 PM']I would not recommend any small pets for a 3 1/2 year old, they are too easily accidently killed by too much loving. Get some fish.[/quote]
Really? My then 4 year old brother killed our hampster by thinking it wanted to play soccer. You think that was too much loving? :P:

It isn't for her per se. I want a pet in the house, and I need something that will be at least vaguely friendly with her. The chinchilla was great, but very high maintenance. I was looking at guinea pigs, but they sure seem to need A LOT of room!!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I have cats... I've always wanted a rabbit or a turtle... but I really love my kitties...

Pontifite 7 of 10

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1206445' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:46 PM']I have cats... I've always wanted a rabbit or a turtle... but I really love my kitties...[/quote]
Get a fruit bat...or a monkey!

I've had guinea pigs! I actually used to volunteer as a foster 'mom' for a rescue near me...at one point I had four guinea pigs living in my room :)
Definately ask me me any questions you have on them, PM would probably be faster as I won't be checking this thread.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1206386' date='Mar 1 2007, 03:22 PM']I would not recommend any small pets for a 3 1/2 year old, they are too easily accidently killed by too much loving. Get some fish.[/quote]
Wise words.

My sister was 3 when we moved out to the middle of nowhere, and the guy we'd bought the house from had a couple of outdoor cats, which he left behind. When we moved in a couple of months later, there were kittens! Which my sister promptly began to love to death. Literally.

One she hugged to death, and then in the fall, on a cool day, she decided another one needed a bath, and it died of hypothermia. :(

Okay, I got a guinea pig. I will be getting another, because they nedd to be social.

My kids loves it. It is so friendly and social. It doesn't bite at all. I really love it. Anna named it "Senny", then she said "Nope, I think his name is Denny mom". So, now it is denny.

He's awful cute :)