An Old School Catholic Message Board

Justification For Civil Divorce

Birgitta Noel

Birgitta Noel

Raphael, in your earlier answer to a question on divorce you quoted the CCC:

[quote]Of course, if he cannot help a civil divorce, that is, "if civil divorce remains the only possible way of ensuring certain legal rights, the care of children, or the protection of inheritance, it can be tolerated and does not constitute a moral offense" (CCC 2383).[/quote]

Does this mean that divorce [i]may be[/i] a legitimate option for those who find themselves in a situation where paying for medical or personal care of a disabled spouse (i.e. one with Alzheimer's or one who required extensive care/treatment not covered by insurance) would bankrupt the family or require them to spend down their retirement savings that one might divorce that spouse to protect those interests, but that they would not be sinning by doing so?

I believe that this is what the CCC is saying as the marriage would still exist in the eyes of the Church and there is in this case no intent or desire to destroy the marriage, but the potential for scandal does seem to rear its ugly head.

Looking forward to your thoughts or others who have a particular competency in this area on this matter!

Edited by The Little Way

Divorce would not be morally justifiable in that case, because the spouse is not willfully hurting the family and is in GREAT need of thier spouse. To leave at that point, because it would be a heavy financial strain would be cowardice and greedy.