An Old School Catholic Message Board

Buying Relics On Ebay

Ziggamafu

So ebay allows the sale of reliquaries that contain first class relics, so long as the relic is only hair (from what I understand). So does the Church frown on (or outright condemn) the purchase of relics? I would really like to obtain some (especially of my patrons) and I don't know how that could be done - or where to begin - outside of ebay. I understand that the technical jargon of the sale is that you're buying the reliquary and the relic itself is a "free gift", but that's obviously just an exploitation of a lucrative loophole.

Thy Geekdom Come

Buying relics is forbidden except when the purpose is to save a relic from the abuse it could undergo in the wrong hands.

So what about the scapulars or medals or rosaries that are sold with a "free blessing" or whatever? Wouldn't that be wrong to?

Regardless, how does one normally go about acquiring (properly) a first class relic?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I think you have to contact whoever is giving them out directly. The free blessing thing irks me as well - along with third class relics being sold.

I think above all things I would question the validity of the relics.... then I would try and obtain them because who knows who would buy them on E-bay... I guess the same goes with selling.... hmm