An Old School Catholic Message Board

Intellectual Property/stealing

Mr.Cat

Under what circumstances it would be considered a violation of intellectual property in the eyes of the Church when viewing writings, songs, images, videos, and so forth transmitted in any manner (but namely "Youtube" and other such providers). If there is a minor violation does this equate to grave matter for the person, for example on "Youtube", a person cannot download it or keep the video to themselves.

In those matters of accessory to sin what are the obligations of Catholic Faithful in theses matters and do the circumstances change situation to situation, and what are the conditions that they change under?

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

In regards to all these issues the key must always be justice. Those who make music, art, videos, movies, etc. are entitled to the revenue that can be generated from what they create. If viewing, sharing, and copying of these things takes money away from the artist, then that is a justice issue.

I would caution you from becoming overly sensitive to this issue, because there are some very grey areas. However, I always ask myself this question, am I depriving the artist of their just reward?

I know this is not a comprehensive answer. I opted for simplicity.

In regards to all these issues the key must always be justice. Those who make music, art, videos, movies, etc. are entitled to the revenue that can be generated from what they create. If viewing, sharing, and copying of these things takes money away from the artist, then that is a justice issue.

I would caution you from becoming overly sensitive to this issue, because there are some very grey areas. However, I always ask myself this question, am I depriving the artist of their just reward?

I know this is not a comprehensive answer. I opted for simplicity.