An Old School Catholic Message Board

And I Shall By Called?

the_rev

Name Preference  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey phatmassers,

I want to get some opinions on what people would call a person who has my name. My given name is Edward. I kind of like Edward because it sounds more professional or something. I kind of like this the most.

Most of my life, I have been called Eddie. It's a little generic. It's Eddie not EDDY.

Over the course of my involvement in politics, I inherited the name ED and it has become really annoying, becasue this co work of mine calls me ED and whenever she says something to me she puts ED at the end of it. I find it rather annoying now and really don't want to be called it.

Finally, some people call me Edwin, although it's not my given name, I kind of like it too, and don't mind be callied it.

My question is, how would you talk to me or talk about me to someone if you really knew me? I know of a now ordained priest who in seminary was called Wally but since being ordained goes by Walter.

Anyways, I'm looking for your imput, your vote matters in what people will be calling me in the next few years.

Thanks.
the_rev

let_go_let_God

I would go by preference. My name is Amanda but I go by AJ to a few members of family, Manda to two people ever in my life (one of which has passed away) Sherminator in high school (I won't go back to that) but never Mandy, Mander, or any other way to abbreviate my name. I would say give it time and feel out what's best for you.

God bless-
LGLG

I like Edward for most people and Eddie or Ted for those close to you. (Fr. Edward is ok but Mr. Ed just won't do. :lol_roll: )

dude, just go with Eddie. As a priest, most people will just call you Father anyways.

I would most definitely call you Eddie if I were talking to you (or maybe Ed). I would bet even if you had told me to call you Edward, I'd still end up slippin up and callin you Eddie once in a while.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1209880' date='Mar 7 2007, 03:33 PM']dude, just go with Eddie. As a priest, most people will just call you Father anyways.

I would most definitely call you Eddie if I were talking to you (or maybe Ed). I would bet even if you had told me to call you Edward, I'd still end up slippin up and callin you Eddie once in a while.[/quote]

Didymus has a good suggestion. Go with Dude. :P:

You know...you can call yourself whatever you want, but most people will end up abbreviating it.

My mom swore she'd never call me Angie ... only Angela. Heck, half the time I only get Ang.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1209837' date='Mar 7 2007, 12:35 PM']i've always liked the name Bartelby[/quote]
:hehehe:

[quote name='Azriel' post='1210076' date='Mar 7 2007, 07:25 PM']You know...you can call yourself whatever you want, but most people will end up abbreviating it.

My mom swore she'd never call me Angie ... only Angela. Heck, half the time I only get Ang.[/quote]
I am the same way. I am almost never called Abigail, even though that's the name I've used professionally for years.

My name is Caitlin and I prefer to be called Katie, but I have to ask to be called that. People, mostly guys, will call me Kate from time to time. I like that too. I've had some interesting nicknames (ROY G BIV, Pandagirl, María, Catholic Girl, Bible Girl, Joan(that's my confirmation name though)) based on inside jokes and the like. (Or Spanish class, since María was my Spanish name)

I like the name Eddie or Edward. I think either is cool and that either would work. It's true, most people will just call you Father anyway. Edward sounds very professional, while Eddie sounds very friendly. Either would work for being a priest.

There are those that would argue you were named Edward and to use the abbreviation you are cutting yourself short in more ways than one. Edward is professional, dignified and it is what your mother called you..... she did not call you Ed or Edwin or Eddie at the Christening.......

Personally I would go for Edward in a formal situation unless like some your full name brings back memories.... or horors of your mother or father calling you when you had done something wrong..... and therefore associated with the consequences.

Sure this says a lot about my psychology!

I love Ted (very solid!) or Teddy (not professional at all) as nicknames for Edward. Don't ask me why. My father goes by Ted, but that's because his middle name is Theodore...

There was a Fr. Ted series on Irish TV a few years ago. Very popular and quite funny if I do say so myself, although it wasn't reverent.