An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Carpenter's Son

kenrockthefirst

kenrockthefirst

Matthew 13:54-56 relates the following:

"He [Jesus] came to his native place and taught the people in their synagogue. They were astonished and said, 'Where did this man get such wisdom and mighty deeds?
Is he not the carpenter's son? Is not his mother named Mary and his brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas?
Are not his sisters all with us? Where did this man get all this?'"

I've always interpreted this as a nudge-nudge, wink-wink statement whereby the people were saying, "is he not the 'carpenter's son?'" (imagine them making the quotation marks sign with their fingers as they say "carpenter's son"). In other words, I believe that they're implying that Jesus is a bastard. Am I reading too much in to this?

Mateo el Feo

I don't see this as anything more than an identification as the son of Joseph (i.e. the carpenter).

I get your point..kind of a "wait, how does he know this. he shouldnt he was just a carpernters kid. they dont know things"

--there was a book I read in a freshman year protestant class that claimed carpenter was a word that could be understood as pastor
silly, silly

Edited by Revprodeji

I hadn't heard of anything making the case that carpenter's son implied that he was a bastard child. However, I can easily see how they might be incredulous at someone who's had no formal instruction handing out wisdom like he does.

It could be intended as disrespectful to our Blessed Lord, but it doesn’t change who our Blessed Lord is or the virginal statue of His Blessed Mother. It is simply disrespectful, to show that the people were to reject him from the start and as He said Himself, no one is accepted in their home (paraphrase).

There was a discussion going on about this, but about the movie, The Nativity and I can't find it.

I had never really thought about it before watching the movie, yet when they were married, they were supposed to remain in seperate houses for at least a year. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So she concieved by the Holy Spirit as we all know and she became pregnant before the year was up, so that could in fact refer to, "We know your parents" judgemental kind of comment. Before I used to think, it was the "carpenters son" as that was like, he's just like "everyone else". But that is just my speculation and I would really like to know what other speculation has been done on that scripture verse and some background. I need links.

Where is phatty or Laudate when you need them? Is Fr. Cappie in the house?!

Looks like I need to visit the defense directory and google because I'm curious. :bigthink: