An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Got The Go Ahead For Wolverhampton

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

I met with my spiritual director, Father Paul, this week and told him about sending out 50 snail mails and about 16 emails to Carmelite convents in the States. I told him that many had said no, due to my age, as expected, but that several had invited me for visits despite my age. I asked him why he wanted me to do this since the Wolverhampton Carmel is prepared to consider my application, and I really like them. It turns out that he doesn't like the weather in England so if given the choice himself, he would prefer to be in the States. He said it was totally personal and if I preferred the Wolverhampton Carmel, then I should go for it! Yayyy. I am so glad I asked him why because I was just prepared to do whatever he asked, but I wondered if he had something against the English Carmels in general. He made me laugh about it all.

The Mother Prioress at Wolverhampton Carmel is going to present my application to the Chapter for a vote as to whether I can be admitted into the novitiate in July. so please pray for me. I have sent off my medical forms and am just waiting on my baptism and confirmation certificates from my parish church. she is going to write to Father Paul for a reference, so we are moving along.

It is funny, I have had some really nice responses from US Carmels, especially the ones at Terre Haute Indiana, and Littleton Colorado, but I still feel drawn to Wolverhampton. If they don't accept me, then I will keep trying here, but Wolverhampton are my first choice, so I am hoping that God wants me to enter there.

I am still waiting to see if I am going to Singapore to help my brother or not. Father Paul said I could do it for a couple of months if necessary, but I need to keep focussed on my vocation too. I asked how I could keep him as a spiritual director if I went to Singapore and he asked if I had ever heard about bilocation! lol I told him that he was more likely to be given this grace than me, so he should come visit me!! :topsy:

Please keep me in your prayers, as I do all of you. The devil will try anything to stop us from fulfulling our vocations, because he hates losing a soul to religious life! So we need to pray for each other as much as possible.

Annie

Wonderful news Annie! I was wondering how things were going and if you made any decisions! Please know your phamily continues to pray for you.
Alicemary

Guest phatdaddy

Annie, It is good to hear that you are responding to the possibility of your religious vocation. I will also pray that you are accepted into this Carmel. God bless you sister. Keep the phamily updated.
Mr. Ray

the lords sheep

Congratulations on getting the green light! Prayers for you!
In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

ps- Just wondering, How on earth did you find these Sisters from over here in the US? (other than the HS, of course :rolleyes: )

AccountDeleted

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1211794' date='Mar 10 2007, 11:02 PM']Congratulations on getting the green light! Prayers for you!
In Jesus and Mary,
Lauren

ps- Just wondering, How on earth did you find these Sisters from over here in the US? (other than the HS, of course :rolleyes: )[/quote]

:rolleyes: Well, of course the Holy Spirit led me but I do all my research on the internet and in looking for Carmels, I searched all the English speaking countries as well as the US. I loved their website because it was so welcoming on the vocations pages, and after I wrote to them, the Mother Prioress just seemed so welcoming as well. In her latest email, she said...

[i]"It has occurred to me that it might help you to get to know a bit about us if the Sisters write to you. The computerized can send it via e-mail, the three elders can do an airmail. There is no need for you to reply, but it might give you some idea of our Community - [u]your [/u]Community. Now I must sign off, with loving and prayerful concern for you in these months of waiting. May our Blessed Lord be your constant strength, comfort and joy. We must keep in frequent contact."[/i]
[img]http://www.geocities.com/annierosha/nuns/sisters.jpg[/img]

I just love them already!

Thank you all for your prayers.
Annie

cathoholic_anonymous

Oh, congratulations! :) (And yes, I am seriously considering Quidenham, so we could end up sort-of-neighbours.) When you come to England in July, feel free to visit my house before you enter the monastery. I am only just over an hour away from Wolverhampton on the train, and I will be home from university for the summer.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

[quote name='nunsense' post='1211050' date='Mar 9 2007, 07:03 PM']I met with my spiritual director, Father Paul, this week and told him about sending out 50 snail mails and about 16 emails to Carmelite convents in the States. I told him that many had said no, due to my age, as expected, but that several had invited me for visits despite my age. I asked him why he wanted me to do this since the Wolverhampton Carmel is prepared to consider my application, and I really like them. It turns out that he doesn't like the weather in England so if given the choice himself, he would prefer to be in the States. He said it was totally personal and if I preferred the Wolverhampton Carmel, then I should go for it! Yayyy. I am so glad I asked him why because I was just prepared to do whatever he asked, but I wondered if he had something against the English Carmels in general. He made me laugh about it all.

The Mother Prioress at Wolverhampton Carmel is going to present my application to the Chapter for a vote as to whether I can be admitted into the novitiate in July. so please pray for me. I have sent off my medical forms and am just waiting on my baptism and confirmation certificates from my parish church. she is going to write to Father Paul for a reference, so we are moving along.

It is funny, I have had some really nice responses from US Carmels, especially the ones at Terre Haute Indiana, and Littleton Colorado, but I still feel drawn to Wolverhampton. If they don't accept me, then I will keep trying here, but Wolverhampton are my first choice, so I am hoping that God wants me to enter there.

I am still waiting to see if I am going to Singapore to help my brother or not. Father Paul said I could do it for a couple of months if necessary, but I need to keep focussed on my vocation too. I asked how I could keep him as a spiritual director if I went to Singapore and he asked if I had ever heard about bilocation! lol I told him that he was more likely to be given this grace than me, so he should come visit me!! :topsy:

Please keep me in your prayers, as I do all of you. The devil will try anything to stop us from fulfulling our vocations, because he hates losing a soul to religious life! So we need to pray for each other as much as possible.

Annie[/quote]

I'm so happy for you. Please keep me in your prayers; you are in mine.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]It turns out that he doesn't like the weather in England[/quote]

Hmm. It's just occured to me how strange that sounds. We do have quite a [i]variety[/i] of weather in England - it isn't all grey rain. From the way some Americans talk, you'd think we lived in a cross between a subtropical monsoon region and the Arctic Circle.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1212753' date='Mar 12 2007, 06:43 PM']Hmm. It's just occured to me how strange that sounds. We do have quite a [i]variety[/i] of weather in England - it isn't all grey rain. From the way some Americans talk, you'd think we lived in a cross between a subtropical monsoon region and the Arctic Circle.[/quote]

People from California can't imagine living anywhere that isn't California - lol! Yes, the sun does shine more here than almost anywhere in the US (perhaps excepting Arizona and Nevada) but I also think that the image Americans have of England is of a cold and overcast place. I lived there for nine months and loved every minute of it. In the winter, the sun went down at 3pm, which was very surprising to me, but I still loved the place and the people! Now, upstate NY had the worst winter weather of any I have ever experienced, but I still loved the summers there. Any place has its good points and bad points.

The way I look at it, their habit is traditional, so cooler weather is going to be a plus! I can't imagine wearing all that clothing in, say, Texas or Louisiana!

Father Paul also visited England right after the war, he had been in Africa, so I can't imagine that his impressions were very cheerful. Where he lives now is beautiful, hundreds of acres of vineyard, where the monks grow grapes for wine. The winters here are mild, with rain but hardly cold at all, so I think he can't imagine living anywhere else now..... but I am thrilled to be going there!

Now the weather in Singapore is going to be very hot - that will take some getting used to for the next few months!